Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-03-2020, 11:01 AM   #15
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
I would love a Leroy trailer. The issues are twofold: 1) they are spendy, even though I'm sure the quality justifies the price; and 2) storage space for the trailer. Neither money nor space are in big supply right now. But we'll see.
Old 04-04-2020, 06:26 PM   #16
50MileSmile

Drives: 2023 2SS, 2018 1SS 1LE, 1993 Z/28
The Leroy trailers are amazing-looking (but expensive), and you can build a trailer that's just as useful (or better, if you have custom requirements) for under $500 using a red trailer kit from Northern Tool or Harbor Freight and bolting on a full-width, waterproof, ABS pickup truck box. Four tires will also fit, stacked two-by-two and sitting side-by-side. I used one of these for years, towing it all over the country behind my Miata for autocrosses, and the only maintenance was repacking the wheel bearings once a year. When I got home, I just stood it up against the wall in front of my car until the next event. Google "autocross trailer" and you'll find a bunch of examples like this one: http://www.wizco.net/MX5/Mods/autocross_trailer.htm.
50MileSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 07:01 PM   #17
LJenkins1LE

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50MileSmile View Post
The Leroy trailers are amazing-looking (but expensive), and you can build a trailer that's just as useful (or better, if you have custom requirements) for under $500 using a red trailer kit from Northern Tool or Harbor Freight and bolting on a full-width, waterproof, ABS pickup truck box. Four tires will also fit, stacked two-by-two and sitting side-by-side. I used one of these for years, towing it all over the country behind my Miata for autocrosses, and the only maintenance was repacking the wheel bearings once a year. When I got home, I just stood it up against the wall in front of my car until the next event. Google "autocross trailer" and you'll find a bunch of examples like this one: http://www.wizco.net/MX5/Mods/autocross_trailer.htm.
One could go this route as I contemplated the same thing before I eventually bought my LE trailer. I just couldn't trust a HF trailer to travel at highway speeds (70mph) or the distance I have to travel (500 miles per event) and survive. My experience with Dallas traffic has proven that. The LE trailers have welded tubular steel frames, hidden wiring with excellent weather proof plugs, and LED lights. The paddock also has a shock/leaf spring suspension which makes the trailer very easy to tow. I was able to replace the plastic bin that comes with it with an aluminum truck box giving me more room for stuff. These can be stored up against a wall as well. My buddy has the exact trailer pictured earlier in this thread and he stores his this way. Mine is in the backyard Of course the wallet with determines everything.
Old 04-05-2020, 09:15 AM   #18
carguy55

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
After looking at the cost of rear seat delete kits I made my own low cost rear seat delete. I just wanted a trunk opening cover. Can put three 19-305s in the back and 1 in the trunk. I use the seat hooks to secure the wheels
Attached Images

carguy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 10:55 AM   #19
BlackbeastSS2

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LE Shock Candy
I like the Leroy Trailer but if you want to save some money and like doing projects like me. This could be an option for you. A few modifications on this and paint then you have your own custom trailer.

I have tools, jacks and other creature comfort stuff to load so just jamming them in the car just does work for me. It’s either an extra chase car or a trailer like this. If Leroy was close to me I would consider it.
Attached Images

Diamond Piston & Manley Rods, Roto Fab Big Gulp
BTR Push Rods,LS7 Lifters, ARP, FI Chiller, Kirkey Seats
SJM Line Lock, Hurst Pistol Grip. 747/739 RWHP street tune - 821/794 RWHP track tune 101 octane.
2014 Mini Cooper countryman S All4 M6 daily driver
BlackbeastSS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 01:04 PM   #20
50MileSmile

Drives: 2023 2SS, 2018 1SS 1LE, 1993 Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJenkins1LE View Post
One could go this route as I contemplated the same thing before I eventually bought my LE trailer. I just couldn't trust a HF trailer to travel at highway speeds (70mph) or the distance I have to travel (500 miles per event) and survive. My experience with Dallas traffic has proven that. The LE trailers have welded tubular steel frames, hidden wiring with excellent weather proof plugs, and LED lights. The paddock also has a shock/leaf spring suspension which makes the trailer very easy to tow. I was able to replace the plastic bin that comes with it with an aluminum truck box giving me more room for stuff. These can be stored up against a wall as well. My buddy has the exact trailer pictured earlier in this thread and he stores his this way. Mine is in the backyard Of course the wallet with determines everything.
You’re right about the expense angle; the difference for me was that a trailer kit instead of a manufactured trailer paid for a set of autocross tires. Just for the record, the bolt-together trailer kit I built had leaf-spring suspension and towed perfectly fully-loaded - no bearing overheating, bouncing, wandering or tail-wagging whatsoever - at speeds up to 85 mph. The reason for using an ABS (not cheap plastic) contractor-style pickup box was that it was the full width of the trailer for extra capacity and lightweight (but just as durable) as a metal unit - with no worries about denting or rusting (depending on whether it’s aluminum, galvanized or painted steel, of course).

Four tips for anyone building a trailer kit: First, make sure you repack the wheel bearings when you first assemble the trailer with real wheel-bearing grease; the original grease that’s squirted onto the bearings at the factory is more suitable for a baby’s butt. Second, load the trailer so you have the manufacturer-specified weight on the hitch, or the trailer won’t track correctly and will bounce and move around at speed. Third, buy an extra wheel and tire for a spare; trying to find a new small trailer tire on Friday night on the way to an event is pretty tough. Fourth (and being a little paranoid until I saw it happen), buy locks for the box, hitch, autocross tires and both road wheels to secure your trailer; otherwise, everything is very easy to steal - especially overnight in a motel parking lot.
50MileSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 09:25 PM   #21
mspeed1LE

Drives: ZL1 1LE SUMMIT WHITE
For the record, I purchased my Leroy trailer un-assembled and without wheels, tires and fenders. Even with the exchange rate I feel I got an excellent deal and the trailer followed me like a shadow from Vancouver Island to Camarofest to Talladega to Tombstone and back last summer with zero issues. I had to keep checking my side mirrors to make sure it was still there!
2018 ZLE * StudioRSR Half Cage * SkidmarkGarage Rear Seat Delete * ZL1ADDONS Lift Pads * Roto-Fab CAI * Forgestar CF5-V's * Michelin PS4S * Racequip 6 Pt. Harnesses * Sub-strap Brackets by Carmena Performance * Speedhut Shift Light * Leroy Eng. Hidden Hitch (for the TYR RAT)* Gen5DIY Rapid Flash 3rd Brake Light * KOOKS 2" LT * Green Cats * AWE Cat-back Track Edition *

mspeed1LE is offline   Reply With Quote