Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-11-2019, 03:36 PM   #15
warren3537

Drives: 2019 Red Hot ZL1 1LE: 2012 RAM 2500
That's why I do all my washing and detailing needs at my own house and with my own 2 hands, I will never trust anyone touching my vehicles, I have seen what some of these places do, since they cannot have something nice, they would rather tear up yours and not worry about it.
warren3537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 03:48 PM   #16
Zaqwert6

Drives: 2SS
They drove the shit out of it, and then they washed it getting the rotors wet while they're hot. That'll warp them in an instant.
Zaqwert6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 04:19 PM   #17
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
There is a lesson to be learned. First, NEVER drop your car off to anyone for a detail. You don't even give them the keys. If you are getting your car detailed, you unlock the doors, pop the hood, pop the trunk, and you wait there on the facility with your keys in your pocket. They will have all the access to the car that they will need. If they need to move the car, they can come and ask you to move it. There is never any reason for them to even start your car or have the keys in the first place.

Second lesson, there are plenty of mobile detailers who will come to you AND do a much better job than most facilities AND charge you less. Use them and give them a good tip. If you're cool to them and give them regular business and multiple cars to wash then they'll even start giving you breaks on the price.

Third lesson, be a complete dick when you are dropping off your $70K 650 HP Muscle Car to anyone. You look them in the eye and you tell them to NOT abuse your vehicle. Even on an extended test drive if testing the alignment there is no need to drive 10 miles. And that would be the only reason to drive that much and even then it would be hard to explain why they put that many miles on it. If a facility cannot assure you in a manner that makes you completely comfortable that your car will be respected then do not trust them with it. Let them know that your car has a monitoring device (even if it doesn't) and tell them that you will be alerted immediately if it is driven in an aggressive manner. And you stop in there to check on them twice a day.

In any case, sorry that happened to you. As I mentioned, there is no reason to put 10 miles on a vehicle even during an extended alignment test unless they have to align it several times to get it right.

But also keep in mind that this could all be in your head. My cars never feel right after someone else drives them even when I'm in the passenger seat. It is even worse if I have to drop it off. It just never feels the same. So perhaps there were some things you didn't notice but in a heightened sense of some paranoia you are noticing it now. No offense to you but it does happen.

Anyway I hope it all gets straightened out in your favor.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 05:56 PM   #18
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
There is a lesson to be learned. First, NEVER drop your car off to anyone for a detail. You don't even give them the keys. If you are getting your car detailed, you unlock the doors, pop the hood, pop the trunk, and you wait there on the facility with your keys in your pocket. They will have all the access to the car that they will need. If they need to move the car, they can come and ask you to move it. There is never any reason for them to even start your car or have the keys in the first place.

Second lesson, there are plenty of mobile detailers who will come to you AND do a much better job than most facilities AND charge you less. Use them and give them a good tip. If you're cool to them and give them regular business and multiple cars to wash then they'll even start giving you breaks on the price.

Third lesson, be a complete dick when you are dropping off your $70K 650 HP Muscle Car to anyone. You look them in the eye and you tell them to NOT abuse your vehicle. Even on an extended test drive if testing the alignment there is no need to drive 10 miles. And that would be the only reason to drive that much and even then it would be hard to explain why they put that many miles on it. If a facility cannot assure you in a manner that makes you completely comfortable that your car will be respected then do not trust them with it. Let them know that your car has a monitoring device (even if it doesn't) and tell them that you will be alerted immediately if it is driven in an aggressive manner. And you stop in there to check on them twice a day.

In any case, sorry that happened to you. As I mentioned, there is no reason to put 10 miles on a vehicle even during an extended alignment test unless they have to align it several times to get it right.

But also keep in mind that this could all be in your head. My cars never feel right after someone else drives them even when I'm in the passenger seat. It is even worse if I have to drop it off. It just never feels the same. So perhaps there were some things you didn't notice but in a heightened sense of some paranoia you are noticing it now. No offense to you but it does happen.

Anyway I hope it all gets straightened out in your favor.

I dont know what detailers you know that do full on detail, paint correction and ceramic coating. The ones I know dont do it it 1 day, it is a 2 day process. Also most insurance policies require they have the keys to the vehicle in order to be able to move it.

I dont care if a customer stays on site while I work, but if that car ends up staying over night you are either leaving the keys or taking the car to another shop.

To the OP, no there isnt anything that can be pulled from the car. The Event Data Recorder only records 10-15 seconds of data that is stored in the event of the airbags deploying. There isnt anything that stays stored in the ECM/TCM at all.

If Onstar cant help you then you are going to be out of luck. Before you let the dealer go tell you that you have warped rotors I would try bedding in the pads again 1st, then if that doesnt work have the rotors resurfaced and put new pads on and do the pad bed in process again.

2017 Camaro SS 1LE - Procharger D1SC w/ Tial 2" BOV & Race intercooler / ARH full length catless headers / Alky meth injection system - 650rwhp on conservative tune SOLD
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 06:45 PM   #19
AdmAnt13

Drives: '16 Red Hot 2SS M6 NPP
Well, all of you have been helpful. Here’s what really happened.

I dropped it off for a full paint correction. Not something you do in your driveway, hence why I hired someone. Granted, some of you may be capable of this. I’m not.

The paint correction was done badly. The front looked worse. I suspected foul play.
Brought car to dealership who confirmed warped rotors...

Had them replaced because I had an agreement with detailer he’d pay for them.

Upon watching video proof the car never left the lot after the fact.. I was left wondering what happened. On star was off on the mileage report. Don’t ask me how that’s possible.

As a previous poster noted, it looks like they left a chemical on too long. The old rotors have a very noticeable shadow of the pad on each of them. As if the chemical caused the pad to bond to the rotor.

Had I bedded in the rotors as advised earlier, it may have all gone away. Unfortunately, it’s done.

The detailer admitted he had his other guy do my car as he was busy, and the guy did a bad job of it.

He has agreed to redo the work at no charge. That doesn’t help me with the new rotor and pad costs. The dealer, while diagnosed wrong, felt exactly what I did. I know technicians, they replace things in pairs to cover their butt. So I can’t blame then 100%. They are working with me now to help with the bill though.

As it is, I have new pads and rotors for no reason.. but a free paint correction and 4 year ceramic coating.

How would you guys handle from here?

'16 2SS, M6, Borla Atak
AdmAnt13 is offline   Reply With Quote