Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launching Discussion

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-24-2016, 09:44 AM   #57
Bobfly
OspreyTech

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
I'm new to racing so if this is a dumb question I apologize. What is the ideal size DR for this car with a manual? I'm talking width, not rim size. I see a lot of cars running 275's with a lot of horsepower. I don't want to snap an axle but on stock tires my strip is slippery as snot. Let's say with Nitto's 555's or NT05's. Do I want to go with a wider tire like the 305 or...?
Old 06-24-2016, 09:57 AM   #58
Cdflyer

Drives: 2016 1SS 6speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobfly View Post
I'm new to racing so if this is a dumb question I apologize. What is the ideal size DR for this car with a manual? I'm talking width, not rim size. I see a lot of cars running 275's with a lot of horsepower. I don't want to snap an axle but on stock tires my strip is slippery as snot. Let's say with Nitto's 555's or NT05's. Do I want to go with a wider tire like the 305 or...?
This is a bit tricky. There is no perfect size tire. It depends on whether or not you want to use the stock wheels. If yes, go for the 305's. If you want to go to a 17", then you can really pick. I'd recommend staying near a 28" outside diameter though. Same goes for going down to a 15" wheel.

If you're just looking to switch out your stock tires for drag radials, the 305's would be a good choice.
Cdflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 11:12 AM   #59
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdflyer View Post
This is a bit tricky. There is no perfect size tire. It depends on whether or not you want to use the stock wheels. If yes, go for the 305's. If you want to go to a 17", then you can really pick. I'd recommend staying near a 28" outside diameter though. Same goes for going down to a 15" wheel.

If you're just looking to switch out your stock tires for drag radials, the 305's would be a good choice.
305's are too big for the stock SS rear wheels though...will they squeeze on, yes, but they are past the recommended limit for that wheel width.
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 03:09 PM   #60
vince3

Drives: Hyper Blue 16' M6 1ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdflyer View Post
I've got the S71's in 17x10 with the high pad height. From the research I've done, Weld is the only company that makes wheels to fit the stock brakes in 17's. The tires are 28x10-17 Hoosier D06 slicks. They cost me $1600 for everything mounted and balanced from my local shop, Legend Racing. Same guys that build WhiteLtone's engines for his record setting 4th gen. I got lucky and they were in stock in the warehouse when we ordered them, otherwise everyone else was 3-4 weeks out.

Once I get the axles and a driveshaft, I can really get after it. They definitely are the weak link in the car.
Who did you order these through?
vince3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 09:09 PM   #61
Cdflyer

Drives: 2016 1SS 6speed
I got them from Legend Racing in Schaumburg, IL. They're my local guys. They're about two blocks from Speed Inc. Small father/son outfit. They do awesome work though, and have better customer service then just about anyone.
Cdflyer is offline   Reply With Quote