Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 08-17-2016, 12:34 PM   #1
gippy87

Drives: 2016 2ss
Procharger Intake location

Hello, Im new to the forum. I recently picked up a '16 2ss. Ive been itching for some boost and the procharger looks like an affordable option. My only concern is that the air filter is placed right on the side of the engine over the exhaust manifold. Whats everyones thoughts on this? Those that are running the kit what type of IAT's are you seeing on a 80-90 degree day?
gippy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 12:58 PM   #2
BMR Suspension

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
They've been doing that for years and they work great! I'm sure having the filter in a colder location would be better, but the kit and its capabilities are designed around the filter being in that location.

I have a big Procharger on my racecar and swear by them!
BMR Suspension is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 01:02 PM   #3
gippy87

Thanks for the quick reply. I come from a long list of turbo cars so I'm not too familiar with superchargers and their setups lol
Old 08-17-2016, 01:08 PM   #4
BMR Suspension

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
The air charge is going to be much cooler with a supercharger than it would be with a turbo. Not have the exhaust interface makes a big difference. The little bit of added temperature from the filter being over the exhaust really isn't an issue with an intercooled Procharger kit. Their intercoolers are very efficient. Of course it also depends on how much boost you plan on running...

Either way, a 2016 SS with a Procharger would be a ball of fun!
BMR Suspension is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 10:44 AM   #5
GirlyNFG

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS M6 w/ NPP
I have a D1SC on my 6th gen and I am looking at relocating the air inlet... but to where?? LOL! I am possibly considering something that goes to the fender liner... something that can be swapped for track days.
28"x10.5" MT ET Drag 28"x4.5" M&H fronts
PB: 9.569 @ 151.05
GirlyNFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 10:58 AM   #6
JaxChris

Drives: '16 2SS GD1 MX0 NPP F55 IO6
You could wrap the exhaust manifold to lower the radiated heat that gets to your air filter.
JaxChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 06:55 PM   #7
gippy87

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlyNFG View Post
I have a D1SC on my 6th gen and I am looking at relocating the air inlet... but to where?? LOL! I am possibly considering something that goes to the fender liner... something that can be swapped for track days.
If youre running that setup to those power levels then it makes me feel much better about it lol
Old 08-25-2016, 07:05 PM   #8
GirlyNFG

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS M6 w/ NPP
IATs are definitely an issuse.. Even before my latest add ons. I had a huge heat exchanger made for it to try and keep the temps down without having to modify the car any. Right now, I am hanging at about 20-25 over ambient during a hard pull. Normal day to day driving it seems totally normal.
28"x10.5" MT ET Drag 28"x4.5" M&H fronts
PB: 9.569 @ 151.05
GirlyNFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 06:55 PM   #9
Eldi Z

Drives: 17' 1SS 1LE GBA-Black
Bumping this up from ancient history. Has anybody with such PC setup considered / attempted & actually managed the relocation of that Intake / Filter orientation?
Eldi Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 09:26 PM   #10
Kerry

Drives: 2019 2SS Camaro
Following
Kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 03:39 AM   #11
Toakss

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1
There is no need to relocate the filter. I have a high horsepower d1x setup and have no issues with IATs. The intercoolers are efficient and do great work.
Toakss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 08:54 AM   #12
cjperformance

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 50th Anniversary
I would like to place a temp sensor right inside the filter just to see how it compares to ambient. Currently, the first temp I get with the procharger installed is, I believe, in the MAF, after it has the heat from compression, so no idea what actual intake temp is.
cjperformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 04:27 PM   #13
Trochoidal

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldi Z View Post
Bumping this up from ancient history. Has anybody with such PC setup considered / attempted & actually managed the relocation of that Intake / Filter orientation?
Hopefully by spring I’ll have all of the fueling parts, GPI rods/pistons and a Procharger. While I’m not a fan of 90° elbows, I wonder if the CARB setup from Procharger is that restrictive? I recall someone on hear stating the factory air box no longer is in the correct place to bring in outside air from the grill with this setup.

It would definitely be worth the effort to 3D print or machine an adapter to get the outside air to the factory box. Of course this only makes sense if the elbow doesn’t hinder airflow.

Trouble is that not having seen this setup in person, buying this could be counterproductive since it looks like the factory box would still be getting warm air.

Toakss has a good point about the intercooler being efficient and really not worrying about this at all.

https://www.procharger.com/2019-2016-camaro-ss-lt1-eo
Attached Images

Originally Posted by arpad_m - “Aww, yet another oil thread with almost the same question in the OP“
Trochoidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 06:34 PM   #14
Eldi Z

Drives: 17' 1SS 1LE GBA-Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochoidal View Post
Hopefully by spring I’ll have all of the fueling parts, GPI rods/pistons and a Procharger. While I’m not a fan of 90° elbows, I wonder if the CARB setup from Procharger is that restrictive? I recall someone on hear stating the factory air box no longer is in the correct place to bring in outside air from the grill with this setup.

It would definitely be worth the effort to 3D print or machine an adapter to get the outside air to the factory box. Of course this only makes sense if the elbow doesn’t hinder airflow.

Trouble is that not having seen this setup in person, buying this could be counterproductive since it looks like the factory box would still be getting warm air.

Toakss has a good point about the intercooler being efficient and really not worrying about this at all.

https://www.procharger.com/2019-2016-camaro-ss-lt1-eo
Actually, I have been learning about this kit extensively and indeed it is appealing that the top lid of the stock airbox remains inside the engine bay.
Yes, it is only the top lid, the lower part of the "box" is an aluminum frame inside which a K&N panel filter is fitted.
The angled elbow is definitely a restriction and talking with shops (TRE in Costa Messa for instance...), they all say that this kit is inferior in terms of power capabilities compared with the "regular" PC kits and should be avoided if possible. Unfortunately for the Golden State friends, who wish to install a PC, they are forced to install this kind of kit, which is CARB certified.

The main disadvantages of this kit are:
1.) Restrictive charge piping. Max. allowable boost ~8 PSI
2.) Nothing larger than a P1SC-1 will fit (TRE managed to install a P1X, but say it was a huge PITA and a lot of radiator-side adjustments had to be done - simply not worth the trouble)
3.) It is a Shared Belt system (with AC, Alternator, WP, Etc.) 6 rib. Meaning, if the belt slips or breaks, then you are stranded until you put in a new belt.
4.) Driver side Aux cooler /radiator must be removed completely

Here is a short video of TRE's installation:

+ some links to a guy on YT, ZT Zoomin, who goes through all the details of installation of such a kit (there is a series of videos about it):

Eldi Z is offline   Reply With Quote