#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Z/28 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 02-28-2017, 08:13 PM   #15
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubchitts View Post
I kinda feel like their going to milk the 1le thing. My guess is the z/28 won't be the most badass....the z/28 1le will be. Just my guess
In Camaro land the Z/28 is the trump card. Above all others

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 08:20 PM   #16
Dubchitts

Drives: '17 Red hot 2ss, 16 Focus RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
I agree but I thought the point of the 1le, was pretty much an ss with some zl1 parts, suspension, brakes and better gearing. Now we have a zl1 1le... maybe I'm wrong

OR perhaps the zl1 1le has trickle down parts from the future z/28?
Dubchitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 08:54 PM   #17
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubchitts View Post
I agree but I thought the point of the 1le, was pretty much an ss with some zl1 parts, suspension, brakes and better gearing. Now we have a zl1 1le... maybe I'm wrong

OR perhaps the zl1 1le has trickle down parts from the future z/28?
The 1LE option was developed for the 3rd gen to create a show room stock race option for the Camaro. The 1LE has been around longer than the ZL1. The original ZL-1 was an aluminum 427 big block that was used for Can Am racing. A few dealers used the COPO system to get a few Camaros and Corvettes with the 427 ZL-1, which was not available in a standard car.

The ZL1 moniker came back in the 4th gen as a special, limited edition to send off the Camaro. Then it came back in the 5th gen because they decided not to call the car Z28.
Old 02-28-2017, 09:12 PM   #18
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
So when there was one not many bought it. Now the streets want one? I'm confused.
Old 02-28-2017, 09:13 PM   #19
Dubchitts

Drives: '17 Red hot 2ss, 16 Focus RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
The 1LE option was developed for the 3rd gen to create a show room stock race option for the Camaro. The 1LE has been around longer than the ZL1. The original ZL-1 was an aluminum 427 big block that was used for Can Am racing. A few dealers used the COPO system to get a few Camaros and Corvettes with the 427 ZL-1, which was not available in a standard car.

The ZL1 moniker came back in the 4th gen as a special, limited edition to send off the Camaro. Then it came back in the 5th gen because they decided not to call the car Z28.
Yeah I know of the original zl1, and was more referencing the 5th gen. Good info tho of the 1le. Thanks! Shutting up now. Lol
Dubchitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 09:19 PM   #20
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
So when there was one not many bought it. Now the streets want one? I'm confused.
Great point

...and I think we are going to have to wait until after the Zora before we see another Z/28 trump card... plenty of time to work this one since Ford is taking a nap right now.
Old 02-28-2017, 09:28 PM   #21
NemesisC5

Drives: 1999 Corvette C5
The ZL1 started off life as an aluminum big block 427 that could be had in Camaro or Corvette. Zora Arkus Duntov had the block made of aluminum to help make the Corvette closer to 50/50 front/rear bias. I've read some debating the history of the ZL1 vs the L88 as the highest output motor GM built. GM purposely rated the L88 below actual peak output, likely did the same with ZL1 but to what degree I don't know of either. Researching the two, the facts get a little hazy depending on the source material.
NemesisC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 09:33 PM   #22
NemesisC5

Drives: 1999 Corvette C5
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Great point

...and I think we are going to have to wait until after the Zora before we see another Z/28 trump card... plenty of time to work this one since Ford is taking a nap right now.
Ford is busy releasing a competition version of the GT....above the $400k+ price of street version. Less weight, more exclusive and possibly all units spoken for.

http://autoweek.com/article/supercar...ntric-supercar

Last edited by NemesisC5; 02-28-2017 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Added link.
NemesisC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 10:04 PM   #23

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Ok, Camaro's ultimate track weapon is the "ZL1 1LE"....It can't be called a Z/28 because it's not N/A....BFD....It's still the best Camaro has to offer for track duty....If the Z/28 badge eliminates itself from the running, then that's too bad....

All this nameplate, "heritage" debate has done is cause us to imagine a car that doesn't, can't or won't exist....and make for a big unnecessary headache...

Congratulations to the FI ZL1 and the ZL1 1LE on being the top performers...

I'm so over all this build around a Z/28 badge....They've done it in spades already with the 5thGen and sales stunk....

Want the best Camaro track car?...buy a ZL1 1LE.....Peace...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 11:57 PM   #24
IOMike

Drives: 2022 F150, 87 Monte Carlo
It was important not to call it a z/28 because it didn't hold true to the name. Zl1 and Zl1 with the 1le track pack makes sense.
IOMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 03:51 AM   #25
kingbambino22

Drives: 2023Porsche Cayenne S
Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
As much as I want to disagree, I can't and I bought one. Granted mine had bad quality control issues cause parts were missing from the car, but I enjoy driving it every minute. I got rid of it after it broke down on me during my move from Texas to Ga though. Oh how I miss driving a Z/28. Yes it was my daily driver and I'm waiting to find another for the right price lol. If I could drive a race car everyday I would but that's just me. If we don't get a Z/28 this gen I won't be made cause it was under appreciated and is a way better DD than people think. Fix the flaws and drive it till the tires need replacing then go buy new tires!!
kingbambino22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 09:29 AM   #26
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
I will disagree with that. I have been trying to type out a response for about ten minutes and can't think of how to say it with out offending anyone haha. So i'll give this a shot and this is just my opinion.

yes the Z/28 was great in its racing career in the Trans Am series but as far as on the street more people were attracted to the big block cars. My dad was 20 in 1969 and if you wanted to be known as the fastest guy in town you had a big block car.

The first gen Z/28 is very desirable today because they were rare and I think people appreciate now the history associated with the car, and I think that is where some of the thought it has to be this super special car comes from.

Basically I don't recall people ever calling a Z/28 the halo top of the line Camaro untill the 5th gen went all out and made it that way

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Ok, Camaro's ultimate track weapon is the "ZL1 1LE"....It can't be called a Z/28 because it's not N/A....BFD....It's still the best Camaro has to offer for track duty....If the Z/28 badge eliminates itself from the running, then that's too bad....

All this nameplate, "heritage" debate has done is cause us to imagine a car that doesn't, can't or won't exist....and make for a big unnecessary headache...

I'm so over all this build around a Z/28 badge....They've done it in spades already with the 5thGen and sales stunk....

Agreed
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 09:59 AM   #27
7WSM

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
The Z/28 will not be a introduced until the new Vette with possibly of the LT5 being introduced.

It will be lighter, low creature comfort options, radio, AC ect. Will have the gen 3 of the DSSV shocks, more aero, and did I say lighter? Or may that would be my wish list of things the new Z/28 is going to have. I just can't see GM not making such a iconic name plate for this generation Camaro.
7WSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 10:51 AM   #28
lt4camaro

Drives: 2021 LT1 10 speed auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post

But I think most Camaro guys wanted to see a direct NA competitor to the GT350R. That being said, The ZL1 1LE car should have been manual seats, no a/c, no back seat, radio delete, or something similar to the 80's 1LE and what ford did with the GT350R. Who wants a loaded creature comfort track car? Chevy isn't serious enough like other manufacture's.
lt4camaro is offline   Reply With Quote