Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 03-04-2023, 10:32 PM   #1
Clear141

Drives: 22 SS 1LE
Love my Camaro but…

If I could change anything it would be the styling. I bought for the name/heritage and the performance!!! and the clear indication that GM had gone full virtue signaler. I believe most of us think that pre 4th gen our cars had a beautifully aggressive appearance that said F off without actually saying it. They really missed the mark in the decades since. You want to compete with the big 3? Give us something that resembles an American kick ass muscle car instead of something that looks like it came out of Europe or Asia. Hell Corvettes used to be gorgeous, now they look like Italian super cars- no thank you. 99% of people I come in contact with don’t have any idea what I’m driving. Just proves in my opinion why Ford and Dodge outsell Chevy consistently by large margins. My bias is making me tolerate this car’s appearance, not my rational side. I do appreciate certain parts of my car, appearance wise, but I’m no longer blinded by my bias. Chevy has failed its consumer’s and by extension itself. In the meantime I’ll enjoy what I have, reminisce about the past and shed a tear for what could have been. Happy to answer questions and respond to the negatives.
Clear141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 11:10 PM   #2
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clear141 View Post
If I could change anything it would be the styling. I bought for the name/heritage and the performance!!! and the clear indication that GM had gone full virtue signaler. I believe most of us think that pre 4th gen our cars had a beautifully aggressive appearance that said F off without actually saying it. They really missed the mark in the decades since. You want to compete with the big 3? Give us something that resembles an American kick ass muscle car instead of something that looks like it came out of Europe or Asia. Hell Corvettes used to be gorgeous, now they look like Italian super cars- no thank you. 99% of people I come in contact with don’t have any idea what I’m driving. Just proves in my opinion why Ford and Dodge outsell Chevy consistently by large margins. My bias is making me tolerate this car’s appearance, not my rational side. I do appreciate certain parts of my car, appearance wise, but I’m no longer blinded by my bias. Chevy has failed its consumer’s and by extension itself. In the meantime I’ll enjoy what I have, reminisce about the past and shed a tear for what could have been. Happy to answer questions and respond to the negatives.
I agree I feel like the C8 Corvette now looks like a "European Supercar" which is why I will never buy one (even thought I could afford one and it would out perform my 2020 2SS)...

However, I disagree with you about the Camaro SS / ZL1... I still think the Gen 6 Camaro SS and ZL1 definitely look like a "Bad Bitch"... While it may be "Modern Muscle", to me it is still "American Muscle"...

(Shots of my 2020 2SS taken by a professional car photographer friend of my daughter in Carlsbad, CA...)

After delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph... BOTH are a lot of fun to operate...
2SS Capt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 11:51 PM   #3
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
The great thing about the Camaro is it's moved on past the terrible muscle car genre, to something that actually handles and performs (read: it turns!) in places other than a straight line. Don't go backwards.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 12:31 AM   #4
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Yes the 6gen Camaro is superior to all the previous generations and I personally think that GM nailed it on the looks and performance especially the ZL1 and SS.
Old 03-05-2023, 12:32 AM   #5
PizzzzzaForPresident

Drives: Ferrari F40
Have you driven any of those other cars you're talking about? The Camaro isn't being outsold because of the styling. It's the best sports car of the three, but the factors that make it a good sports car also make it the least practical and least comfortable for daily driving of the three. It has the worst visibility by far, the least storage, the most cramped interior and the least forgiving ride. Most people don't want a sports car. They want a sporty looking car but only kinda sporty driving car. That ain't the Camaro. The Challenger is a la-z-boy on wheels and the Mustang is its slimmer cousin. It's the same reason the Corvette sells well and the Viper bombed. Most people want the appearance of sporty with none of the baggage that comes along with actually being a sports car. It's also why Ferrari, Lamborghini, Aston Martin and Porsche all have SUVs.

For what it's worth, I love the 6th gen's styling, especially the '16-18 SS models. I couldn't care less about the generations between the 1st and 6th.

Last edited by PizzzzzaForPresident; 03-05-2023 at 12:42 AM.
PizzzzzaForPresident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 01:30 AM   #6
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
bruh have you even looked at a pre 19 ss 1LE or ZL1?
Old 03-05-2023, 01:54 AM   #7
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
IMO the original 6th gen Camaro team did just that with the 2016-2018 design—it was still masculine and angled just enough to carry some of the heritage across while also being a modern sports car in terms of capabilities. The 2019 refresh messed up the original design language in the front and rear, now the car doesn't look consistent, it's half Honda Accord, half Camaro, except for the ZL1 where GM didn't even bother to redesign the front end. There clearly are people who like the redesign, but sales numbers haven't improved tangibly, and subjective tastes aside, the design inconsistency is undeniable, it's not a matter of personal preferences.

Just FYI, some ex-GM members, e.g. Number 3 religiously visit these topics to claim that visibility, small rear legroom/headroom and lack of trunk space are the reasons the Camaro is going away while the Mustang enjoys a 7th generation, which was originally caused by GM's mistake in listening to enthusiasts about the design instead of designing the car for mass market appeal and usability.

I'm not saying this has no merit, the car clearly has less everyday usability than the Challenger in the above areas, but it's also abundantly clear that GM hasn't given a rat's behind about the Camaro since late 2018 when the Camaro team was disbanded, all of the above shortcomings would've been easily fixable if they cared. Camaro powertrains haven't seen an iota of improvement either, adding the A10 to the SS is just a reconfiguration, and of course zero marketing/sales efforts have been expended, so low sales volumes are absolutely expected. (Interestingly, these latter points are never conceded by the same ex-GM employees, by the way.)

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 05:26 AM   #8
Smokin19

Drives: 19' ZL1 A10, w/pdr
While looks will always be subjective, performance and stats for our Camaro can withstand any scrutiny. This being my last car I will buy has given so much pleasure than any car I have ever owned.
BTR Stg II cam w/ 38% fuel lobe, ARH 2" headers into 3" w/cats, Kong X port, Weapon X triple ht exchangers, NW 103, Rotofab big gulp, DSX lowside, TCM tune, BMR Lockout, Mustang dyno 720 rwhp, 634 rwtq on 93 pump.
Smokin19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 05:42 AM   #9
jamala00

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue Metallic
Well I couldn't possibly disagree more, but looks are subjective. I've gotten so many compliments on how sweet my "Camaro" is. People know what it is and people love how it looks. I've never had one person ask me... Hey, what car is that... I've actually even had a couple people give me their phone number and said..."If you ever sell it, contact me first".

Last edited by jamala00; 03-05-2023 at 06:19 AM.
jamala00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 06:09 AM   #10
Realist

Drives: No Camaro :(
I have had at least one generation of the Camaro with the exception of the 2nd. My heart is split between a 69 Camaro and 6th Gen ZL1, still trying to figure would which route I’m going. The car isn’t for everyone, I would love to see the breakdown of Female and Male buyers of each Camaro, Challenger and Ford. You can’t sell what you don’t build. Lots of reasons the other 2 outsell, lower trims pricing, complaints of seeing outward, etc but I still think it’s the best pony car of the 3 with a manual transmission. The good, prices are still up and you can sell the Camaro and move on to an auto you prefer more.
Realist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 06:25 AM   #11
302crossram

Drives: 2023 Sharkskin 2SS
lose 400lbs and it could be one of the best cars in the world...

too heavy is my only beef
302crossram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 06:47 AM   #12
laynlo15

Drives: 2022 Lt1 A10
Quote:
Sounds like you should just sell it and move on. Maybe buy a Kia Stinger. Maybe a Mustang. Obviously your never really going to be happy. You'll keep posting how bad GM is and every little thing you dislike about your car, just sell it and let someone else appreciate it.
2022 Lt1 6.2 A10, Maggie 2300, THPSI Port Inj/10 rib, Rotofab, E, Nickey, SCOL, Griptech, RC Bandits, Hoosiers/MT 9.80@142.96 1.44 60ft, 6.34@112 707/669 RWHP/TRQ. 16SS Maggie 2650 9.41@147 1.35 60ft, 5.99@119. 16 C7 A8 10.90@128 Bolt on stuff
laynlo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 06:57 AM   #13
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS1 1LE
Either the pool of car enthusiasts who enjoy a performance vehicle like the 6th Gen Camaro is shrinking or GM sucks at marketing.

I think it’s a some of both but I believe that unfortunately it’s mainly the former. Vehicles will be appliances soon, with little to no attention paid to the driving experience and the focus solely on getting from point A to B with as little input from the driver as possible.
Wyzz Kydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 06:58 AM   #14
LT1gen6

Drives: '22 LT1 Coupe
Quote:
I believe most of us think that pre 4th gen our cars had a beautifully aggressive appearance that said F off without actually saying it. They really missed the mark in the decades since.
For aggressive appearance that says "F off," install some middle-finger salute logos (paint, stickers, big foam fingers, etc) to your 6gen. Or, find a pre 4gen. Or, simply buy a current car that meets your criteria, if you don't enjoy or appreciate what you have. We support and encourage your decision.

Last edited by LT1gen6; 03-05-2023 at 07:23 AM.
LT1gen6 is offline   Reply With Quote