Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

AWE Tuning

Old 07-22-2019, 07:36 AM   #1
zts1986
Account Suspended

Drives: 2019 Chevrolet Camaro 1LT 2.0T
Paint correction: now or later?

I bought my car new back in March. At this point, I have some swirl marks from towels and one small stain in the clear coat from some bird crap (I travel frequently and the car is stored outside). I've always taken care of my cars, but the old fashioned way: wash and hand/hard wax. I've read a lot over the past few months and know the full process that I want to go through to detail my car.

The dilemma: I plan on driving this car through the upcoming winter, which means that I'll want to run it through the car wash frequently during winter time. I've started to become anti-car wash because I can feel on the paint what it does to any protective coatings on it. That, and any marks it may make during the process.

Should I wait until next spring to do my full detail, including paint correction? Feels like a mistake to do it this summer, and then again next summer from a winter of abuse. There's only a limited amount of clear coat.
zts1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 02:49 PM   #2
DougCBJ

Drives: 2016 Blue 2SS
If you don't plan to properly maintain the car, and use correct washing technique, there's really no point in ever doing a paint correction, it'll just be wasted time.
DougCBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 03:11 PM   #3
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Find a touchless carwash and wash it the way this winter, then when it’s nice next spring, do the full deal…If you want to clean it off and put a wax on it first , put on a coat on collinite 845, the stuff is indestructible for the winter.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 03:20 PM   #4
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
If it were my car, and it was bothering me, I’d go ahead and polish it. Theres plenty of clear coat. Now if you are wet sanding, thats a different story. Especially the bird dropping etchings. Thats not coming out without polishing and it might even take wet sanding.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 10:06 AM   #5
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
If it were my car, and it was bothering me, I’d go ahead and polish it. Theres plenty of clear coat. Now if you are wet sanding, thats a different story. Especially the bird dropping etchings. Thats not coming out without polishing and it might even take wet sanding.
Yeah bird etchings suck! They are a PITA to get out sometimes.

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 08:22 AM   #6
zts1986
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougCBJ View Post
If you don't plan to properly maintain the car, and use correct washing technique, there's really no point in ever doing a paint correction, it'll just be wasted time.
Very helpful. My post and other posts in this forum clearly point towards me not giving a **** about the car.
Old 07-24-2019, 08:23 AM   #7
zts1986
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
Yeah, I want to avoid wet sanding. I'm thinking that I should be good with a polish at this point, but seeing as I only plan to drive it through one winter comes my dilemma.

Decisions, decisions...
Old 07-24-2019, 08:27 AM   #8
zts1986
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
Find a touchless carwash and wash it the way this winter, then when it’s nice next spring, do the full deal…If you want to clean it off and put a wax on it first , put on a coat on collinite 845, the stuff is indestructible for the winter.
That is the most likely plan.
Old 07-24-2019, 03:29 PM   #9
indyz

Drives: 2SS, CT-R, LC500
If you really dont want to expend too much effort, ceramic coating (once a year or two) and touchless car wash is the way to go.

You can do the ceramic coating yourself, if you are so inclined, after proper paint correction (maybe by a pro). Might be cheaper that way than a full ceramic coating package from a pro.

If money is no object, get it all done by a pro and do touchless washes.
indyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 12:59 PM   #10
EJR8402

Drives: 2019 Red Hot 1SS "Scarlett"
If it were my car I'd wait until fall and do a full correction before winter hits. At the very least I would correct the bird marks. One thing you may want to pay attention to in the future is your wash methods: do you use the 2-bucket method? What kind of sponge/wash mit do you use? Quality of drying towels?
EJR8402 is offline   Reply With Quote