Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-02-2019, 02:54 PM   #1
Phowingt

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS
Supercharger and Tuning Questions

I have a 2018 Camaro 2SS A8 and have had it for about a year and all that is done to it is a Rotofab CAI and 305 Nitto NT555G2 rear tires. I plan to put some Texas Speed long tubes on the car soon and a supercharger.I've been reading a lot about the pros and cons on the Centri Vs PD superchargers and I think I want to go with a PD. My goal of the car is to have around 600whp because I have read that that is a safe range for the stock internals and will be fine with the stock fuel system but I also want something that still will cruise without overheating because I go to a lot of car shows and cruises. ( If those numbers are not right please correct me).

Any suggestions on which supercharger I should run because I daily drive the car and I want something that will be reliable. I plan to install the supercharger with my father because he has been building drag cars his whole life and wanted to be the one to install but he doesn't know much about tuning the newer cars so need some suggestions on a tuner to go with. I live in Mississippi and haven't heard on any tuners near me so most likely will end up going with a remote tune from someone.

Also when I was shopping for them I noticed that the Magnuson has an optional $2000 intercooler system and I'm confused whether or not I would need it.

Last edited by Phowingt; 07-02-2019 at 03:23 PM.
Phowingt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 08:25 PM   #2
laynlo15

Drives: 2022 Lt1 A10
Well I'm going to tell you it should be a Magnuson 2300 Heartbeat or a 2650 Heartbreaker. You can buy with or without the intercooler, although you live in a very hot and humid climate so its best to run the intercooled kit. We have a 5 percent off sale right now thru the 5th and free shipping. We have dealers on this forum you could contact for your purchase and save some bucks. You can buy a kit with a Magnuson tune so you don't have to have a custom tune. I would choose the 2300 Heartbeat, great daily driver kit and go the strip if you want.
2022 Lt1 6.2 A10, Maggie 2300, THPSI Port Inj/10 rib, Rotofab, E, Nickey, SCOL, Griptech, RC Bandits, Hoosiers/MT 9.80@142.96 1.44 60ft, 6.34@112 707/669 RWHP/TRQ. 16SS Maggie 2650 9.41@147 1.35 60ft, 5.99@119. 16 C7 A8 10.90@128 Bolt on stuff
laynlo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 09:24 PM   #3
Dysan911

Drives: 2017 50th Anniversary 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phowingt View Post
I have a 2018 Camaro 2SS A8 and have had it for about a year and all that is done to it is a Rotofab CAI and 305 Nitto NT555G2 rear tires. I plan to put some Texas Speed long tubes on the car soon and a supercharger.I've been reading a lot about the pros and cons on the Centri Vs PD superchargers and I think I want to go with a PD. My goal of the car is to have around 600whp because I have read that that is a safe range for the stock internals and will be fine with the stock fuel system but I also want something that still will cruise without overheating because I go to a lot of car shows and cruises. ( If those numbers are not right please correct me).

Any suggestions on which supercharger I should run because I daily drive the car and I want something that will be reliable. I plan to install the supercharger with my father because he has been building drag cars his whole life and wanted to be the one to install but he doesn't know much about tuning the newer cars so need some suggestions on a tuner to go with. I live in Mississippi and haven't heard on any tuners near me so most likely will end up going with a remote tune from someone.

Also when I was shopping for them I noticed that the Magnuson has an optional $2000 intercooler system and I'm confused whether or not I would need it.

You'll want to probably consider some better rear tires. I had a brand new set of those very same ones and they would not hold traction AT ALL and I'm no where near the low end torque Im sure you'll be at with a PD blower.

BTW, out of curiosity regarding the research you did between the Pro's and Cons of PD vs Centri. What was it specifically that led you to go with PD?
Former Ride: 17 Camaro 2SS, M6 - Fifty | Procharger P1SC | 3.7 Pulley | Stage 2 IC | Race Bypass | DSX FF Kit | JRE Custom E85 Flex Fuel Tune | LT4 Fuel System | JMS Voltage Booster | MSD Plug Wires | American Racing 1-7/8's LT Headers Full System Catback | Baro Breakout Harness | LT4 Map Sensor | Katech Ported TB | MMS Oil Catch Can | 160 Thermo | Solo Performance J-Pipes

Dysan911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 09:55 PM   #4
Phowingt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysan911 View Post
You'll want to probably consider some better rear tires. I had a brand new set of those very same ones and they would not hold traction AT ALL and I'm no where near the low end torque Im sure you'll be at with a PD blower.

BTW, out of curiosity regarding the research you did between the Pro's and Cons of PD vs Centri. What was it specifically that led you to go with PD?
I read a lot about Centris overheating and I like the PD for the low end torque because eventually I plan to get a set of drag radials for the rear for racing.
Old 07-02-2019, 10:14 PM   #5
Dysan911

Quote:
I read a lot about Centris overheating and I like the PD for the low end torque because eventually I plan to get a set of drag radials for the rear for racing.
Oh wow that is a first I've ever heard anyone say that about a Centri setup overheating.. Typically it's the other way around since the PD's basically sit right on top of the heads. How ironic though, I went with the Centri setup for a few of the same concerns you have.

1. I wanted the internals to be safe and felt the boost and power coming on linear would be better for engine and driveline longevity. Slowly ramping up the boost vs full boost immediately.

2. Cooler IAT's. Mine runs 5 degrees over ambient while cruising.

3. The cool head turning unmistakable Supercharger Whistle.

Please don't take that I have anything against PD blowers whatsoever or anyone else. I have huge love for those as well and no doubt you'll enjoy having gone that route, but yeah just the Centri's overheating thing really threw me there.
Former Ride: 17 Camaro 2SS, M6 - Fifty | Procharger P1SC | 3.7 Pulley | Stage 2 IC | Race Bypass | DSX FF Kit | JRE Custom E85 Flex Fuel Tune | LT4 Fuel System | JMS Voltage Booster | MSD Plug Wires | American Racing 1-7/8's LT Headers Full System Catback | Baro Breakout Harness | LT4 Map Sensor | Katech Ported TB | MMS Oil Catch Can | 160 Thermo | Solo Performance J-Pipes

Last edited by Dysan911; 07-03-2019 at 06:54 AM.
Old 07-02-2019, 10:30 PM   #6
Phowingt

Quote:
Oh wow that is a first I've ever heard anyone say that about a Centri setup overheating.. Typically it's the other way around since the PD's basically sit right on top of the heads. How ironic though, I went with the Centri setup for a few of the same concerns you have.

1. I wanted the internals to be safe and felt the boost and power coming on linear would be better for engine and driveline longevity. Slowly ramping up the boost vs full boost immediately.

2. Cooler IAT's. Mine run 5 degrees over ambient while cruising.

3. The cool head turning unmistakable Supercharger Whistle.

Please don't take that I have anything against PD blowers whatsoever or anyone else. I have huge love for those as well and no doubt you'll enjoy having gone that route, but yeah just the Centri's overheating thing really threw me there.
Ive heard it both ways which is what has me confused about the temps, Did you personally install yours or have someone do it? If you did, how was the install?

How many miles have you put on the car since adding bc my absolute main concern over everything is reliability. (I know the MOST reliable would be to leave it stock but I've always wanted a forced induction car)
Old 07-02-2019, 10:46 PM   #7
Dysan911

Quote:
Ive heard it both ways which is what has me confused about the temps, Did you personally install yours or have someone do it? If you did, how was the install?

How many miles have you put on the car since adding bc my absolute main concern over everything is reliability. (I know the MOST reliable would be to leave it stock but I've always wanted a forced induction car)
Ahh ok yeah I never had any heating issues whatsoever fwiw. I'm quite amazed how well the Stage 2 Intercooler works.

I did the install by myself over a weekend. I had a couple guys on the forum here I chat with regularly who if I had any questions could ask either one of them since they had done their own installs not that long before me. The install was really very simple and the install manual was easy to follow along and understand. As I completed each step I'd just mark it with a Pen and move onto the next one. I imagine if I ever felt the need to pull the kit off the car It would be even quicker to remove and return to stock.

I was at 8k miles on the odometer when I installed the Procharger and have had it ever since and am now at just over 21k. I typically commute about 3 days a week in it.

The drivability and reliability so far has been just amazing. Seriously words just cannot do that statement any justice. I typically will get bored with a car after a couple years but I am honestly no where near being bored with this one.

A good tuner is really KEY to achieving both of those items above!.

Old 07-02-2019, 10:57 PM   #8
Phowingt

who are good tuners for FI? Ive heard of a few but have no idea how to decide who to go with.
Old 07-03-2019, 06:52 AM   #9
Dysan911

Quote:
who are good tuners for FI? Ive heard of a few but have no idea how to decide who to go with.

I as well as several others have had terrific results and experience with Ted Jannetty who remote tuned my car. If your interested in remote tuning he is awesome to work with and knows his stuff. There are certainly several other reputable tuners and perhaps even one near your location. I'm sure some other folks will drop a few suggestions in this thread for ya.

Old 07-03-2019, 07:31 AM   #10
L78toLT1

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 2SS 6M
Quote:

I was at 567/586 rwhp/rwtq with a Maggie 2300 (95mm pulley), rotofab, headers and ZL1 low side pump. My high & low side fuel pressure looked great, I'm sure I could have pullied down a bit and cracked the 600 hp mark with no problems.
My car was remote tuned by Ted Jannetty and I certainly echo the sentiments of others who recommend Ted. He is exceptional knowledgable on this platform and a real pleasure to work with
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels & brakes/GForce DS and axles/ZLE Cradle Bushings/FE4 ARB front & rear/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/95mm TB/Magnuson 2300/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/E85 Sensor/Ported CID heads from LME/Cammotion PD cam/Thompson Motorsports forged shortblock/catted Kooks 1 7/8 headers /JRE remote tuned
L78toLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 08:23 AM   #11
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Do the LT4 fuel system...
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 04:03 PM   #12
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
I as well as several others have had terrific results and experience with Ted Jannetty who remote tuned my car. If your interested in remote tuning he is awesome to work with and knows his stuff. There are certainly several other reputable tuners and perhaps even one near your location. I'm sure some other folks will drop a few suggestions in this thread for ya.
I can second that, Ted and his team are pros who have done countless installs and tunes on a variety of platforms, and take very good care of customers. His shop isn't the cheapest, but you get your money's worth IMO.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 04:08 PM   #13
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
Pray and Cunningham do a great job. At some point "street tuning" gets too complicated. IMO at 750 WHP you should ONLY consider dyno tuning.. Border line would be 650 to 749 WHP. Upto 649 WHP I think you can get by with street tune. There is finally a tuner in Austin and he did my buds ZL1 on E85 with great results.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 04:45 PM   #14
Drsagacity

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS Nightfall Gray vert
I worked with Jannetty also. It was a great experience and now we are about to do my Corvette too. I was a bit more conservative and started with 550whp. I have the same tires.

On the street I would say 550whp is absolutely perfect. It's fun, fast, and completely safe. With the maggie the boost is instant fun. Think big block torque.

I have run everything. Centri (procharger and vortech), twin turbo, and the Maggie along with an lt4 blower. They are all great.

My advice is find a tuner you want to work with and take their recommemdation. On the forums you get a bunch of people defending their decisions.

Over heating won't be a problem with any setup as long as you work with a great tuner. Period. I worked with Laynlo and then Ted and can't say enough positive about the two of them. Easiest answer...call Ted and he will steer you in the right direction. Greg (Laynlo is a good buddy now so I say ignore everything he says...jk. Greg will always point you in the right direction too).

Looking forward to watching your progress...and welcome to the illness.

2018 Corvette Z06 vert- Black
To be tuned by JRE Racing
TBD performance

Last edited by Drsagacity; 07-03-2019 at 11:06 PM.
Drsagacity is offline   Reply With Quote