Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-01-2019, 10:58 PM   #1
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Wondering Why No 'Ring Times For C7?

R&T has an interview with test engineer Jim Mero. Apparently they ran afoul of Cap. Murphy: anything that could go wrong, did. In short, since 2013 they had problems with

• Weather [this was during the Z/28 wet lap]
  • Crashed car on damp track [different trip than above]
  • Marketing said no
  • Crashed another car
  • Cameras didn't record lap
  • PDR video froze
  • 'Ring protocols changed

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...ero-interview/

The piece has a bunch of claimed times for Z51 Stingray through ZR1.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 09:32 AM   #2

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Maybe Ford has a similar story to explain no 'Ring times for them, either...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 10:45 PM   #3
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS CV CE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Yeah, that's too many coincidences. If even some of those occurrences were true and they really wanted it, they would've done it by now.
Old 07-04-2019, 10:55 PM   #4
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
For Ford its easy: they have publicly stated that they won't announce any Nurburgring lap times. Been that way for years.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 07-04-2019, 11:39 PM   #5
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXSSCE View Post
Yeah, that's too many coincidences. If even some of those occurrences were true and they really wanted it, they would've done it by now.
Yes and no. Automakers don't go to the 'Ring to set lap times. They go there to test ride & handling. The hot laps are a little bit of fun at the end of the manufacturer days. So there are very few 'easy' opportunities to even try for a good lap. And if anything happens to go wrong, you're out of luck.

Now, could GM book the track for themselves for a solid week during a part of the year that all but guarantees good weather? Probably, just have to open up their cheque book. That would ensure have enough time to get a issue-free lap recorded. Well, after they get the cars (2 of each model, in case one suffers a major issue) over there, plus a support team. And of course, cover all the costs of having the support team over there. And whatever insurance is needed for all this.

No idea how much all that would cost. Possibly millions, all told. But that has to get weighed against the marketing value of having an official time for the Z06, or the Grand Sport, or the ZR1. Whatever the two numbers are, the cost is going to dwarf the value of doing it.

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 07-05-2019, 10:44 AM   #6

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
I would think, though, that with this new mid-engine C-8 Corvette a ring time is almost a must. It would eliminate any anxiety over the design and unruffle the feathers of the hard-core front engine fans....

For the publicity and performance reviews of the new Corvettes whatever it took to get a record ring time would justifiably be money well spent. If 'Vette can't spring for the time and expense at the ring, they don't

belong in the mid-engine super-car arena. It would almost look worse for C-8 Corvette it they don't make a push for a Ring time.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 11:47 AM   #7
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Yes and no. Automakers don't go to the 'Ring to set lap times. They go there to test ride & handling. The hot laps are a little bit of fun at the end of the manufacturer days. So there are very few 'easy' opportunities to even try for a good lap. And if anything happens to go wrong, you're out of luck.
if they didn't go there to set Lap times, then they would never be published. There are a lot better Test Tracks that are closer & would cost American Manufacturers a lot less money
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 12:13 PM   #8
Outlaw77

Drives: 2018 Charger SRT 392 F8 Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR Sales View Post
if they didn't go there to set Lap times, then they would never be published. There are a lot better Test Tracks that are closer & would cost American Manufacturers a lot less money
Agreed. I don't know why the Nurburgring is still the place to get official times. It's a shit hole compared to the great tracks all over the US.
Outlaw77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 01:37 PM   #9
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
They test there because good luck replicating those conditions anywhere else. Each test lap equals hundreds of miles driven on the road. There are mini climate regions, 70+ turns, different surfaces, and huge elevation changes.
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 01:42 PM   #10
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Define 'better'. The big reason for going to the 'Ring is because of its enormous number (and therefore combination) of loading conditions. You cannot get that data set anywhere else, not at a single location anyway. You'd have to do multiple tracks to achieve something similar. But that takes more time (and therefore is more expensive) than just going to Germany and getting it over with in one shot.

And if publishing Nurburgring times is the only reason to go there, why hasn't Ford done so? They've been going there for years, and never published a time. Has every single run they've ever made been a disappointment? Including when there was no competitor to have been bested by (like the old 550 hp GT500 from about a decade ago).

That would be an incredibly stupid way to spend money. You'd think the bean counters in Dearborn would have stepped in after maybe the 2nd (or at least 3rd) time and said 'Nope, this has been a total waste of money from the start. You're not going again'.

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 07-05-2019, 01:50 PM   #11
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw77 View Post
Agreed. I don't know why the Nurburgring is still the place to get official times. It's a shit hole compared to the great tracks all over the US.
Quote:
Name one track that comes close to the elevation changes and climate regions of the 'Ring.
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 03:57 PM   #12
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS CV CE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
No idea how much all that would cost. Possibly millions, all told. But that has to get weighed against the marketing value of having an official time for the Z06, or the Grand Sport, or the ZR1. Whatever the two numbers are, the cost is going to dwarf the value of doing it.
It's understandable with all the money the General is spending on Camaro marketing.
Old 07-05-2019, 04:35 PM   #13
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXSSCE View Post
It's understandable with all the money the General is spending on Camaro marketing.
You say that as if there is no Camaro marketing. NASCAR would disagree.

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 07-05-2019, 05:54 PM   #14
BradfordCamaro
SABIO

Drives: 2016 CAMARO 1SS
Maybe through various testing they discovered that the ZL1 1LE was just to Damn good.
Maybe they surmised that the new 'Vette might just match or barely beat it's time. Not good marketing material when your flagship can barely outpace a Camaro..

BradfordCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote