Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

AWE Tuning

Old 07-02-2018, 09:09 AM   #1
cmferdz63
Camaro Fan

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Notchy 2nd on Manual

I've got 16K plus miles on my 2016 SS manual. Last 3K or so I noticed that upshifting to 2nd felt a bit harsh, not smooth like when it was new. No issue on the downshifting to 2nd, just when going from 1st to 2nd. I read a few postings on this forum suggesting to have the tranny and rear differential fluids replaced and that this would make the shifting smoother. so I decided to try it. Over the weekend, I went to my local chevy dealer here in Miramar, Fla and for $385 got both fluids changed. The price for the DIFF was $161.95 and the tranny was $168.97. A bit pricey, but I didn't have any other choice. I felt that this was not a do-it-yourself job for me. So far the results feel right. I've driven about 50 miles and definitely feel the difference going from 1st to 2nd. Shifting feels smoother. I guess time will tell. I'll provide an update after a week or so of driving. Stay tuned..

CMF

Last edited by cmferdz63; 07-02-2018 at 01:48 PM.
cmferdz63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 11:14 AM   #2
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
you arent talking about the skip shift are you?
Old 07-02-2018, 01:42 PM   #3
cmferdz63
Camaro Fan

No, I'm not talking about the skip shift (1st to 4th). I've learned to ignore the message prompt since I typically shift at 3000 or higher rpms. It's not a big deal anymore. What I noticed after driving the car for 16K miles was the fact that shifting between 1st to 2nd did not feel smooth compared to 3rd to 4th or 4th to 5th.
Old 07-02-2018, 01:44 PM   #4
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
hmm yea i have a tune and mine was eliminiated but i have the same thing sometimes also my gf thought i did it on purpose and was like nope that was the car lol
Old 07-04-2018, 01:57 PM   #5
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]
I've noticed 1st to 2nd is a little notchy when cold. Once warmed up, it smooths out.
torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 10:24 PM   #6
Frankie18SS

Drives: 18 Camaro 2SS, 07 Saturn Ion
Same here. Noticable when cold, better when it gets warmer. It's been like that since day one.
Old 07-07-2018, 10:37 AM   #7
cmferdz63
Camaro Fan

Here’s an update. Been a few days since the fluid change. Good news and bad news. The good news is that I do notice an improvement on shifting to second. Definitely much more smoother. Bad news, on the following day I started hearing a moan coming from the rear. Always when the car is cold but it’s loud. Once it warms up the noise is gone. I never noticed this before so I’m pretty sure it’s the result of the rear diff fluid change. I made an appointment to take the car back to the dealer next week. Hopefully they can find the issue quickly and fix it. I wonder if they somehow botched the rear diff fluid change. Any thoughts?
Old 07-08-2018, 08:40 PM   #8
JRS

Drives: 16 camaro M6/ 18 ZL1 camaro A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmferdz63 View Post
Here’s an update. Been a few days since the fluid change. Good news and bad news. The good news is that I do notice an improvement on shifting to second. Definitely much more smoother. Bad news, on the following day I started hearing a moan coming from the rear. Always when the car is cold but it’s loud. Once it warms up the noise is gone. I never noticed this before so I’m pretty sure it’s the result of the rear diff fluid change. I made an appointment to take the car back to the dealer next week. Hopefully they can find the issue quickly and fix it. I wonder if they somehow botched the rear diff fluid change. Any thoughts?
I'm glad your trans shifting smoother, I had the same problem and a trans oil change pretty much took care of it. The rear diff on the other hand is probably they didn't put any diff additive in for the clutches. If you don't put the additive in the car won't like any turns because the clutches need to slip and without the additive the rear wheels will chadder around turns, maybe that the moaning noise you hear. Just my .02 cents.
JRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 09:30 AM   #9
cmferdz63
Camaro Fan

Good news, I just got the car back from the dealer this morning. All fix now, no cost! They flushed out the diff fluid from last week and added new fluid plus a bit more friction modifier additive. It's very quite now, no more noise. Kudos to my service rep Jason Carter and Ed Morse Sawgrass Chevy dealer. They're good people.
Old 07-10-2018, 03:49 PM   #10
cmferdz63
Camaro Fan

Spot On

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRS View Post
I'm glad your trans shifting smoother, I had the same problem and a trans oil change pretty much took care of it. The rear diff on the other hand is probably they didn't put any diff additive in for the clutches. If you don't put the additive in the car won't like any turns because the clutches need to slip and without the additive the rear wheels will chadder around turns, maybe that the moaning noise you hear. Just my .02 cents.
Good call, this is exactly what happen!
Old 07-10-2018, 04:42 PM   #11
Chef-j

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Good news, I just got the car back from the dealer this morning. All fix now, no cost! They flushed out the diff fluid from last week and added new fluid plus a bit more friction modifier additive. It's very quite now, no more noise. Kudos to my service rep Jason Carter and Ed Morse Sawgrass Chevy dealer. They're good people.
Awesome. Thanks for updated its good to know.
Chef-j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 04:40 PM   #12
cmferdz63
Camaro Fan

It's been 9 days since the repair.. all good. No noise and no 2nd gear notchy feeling.. good to go..
Old 07-22-2018, 05:23 PM   #13
red6.2

Drives: 2010 camaro
Have you guys felt a crunch when going into 2nd. It’s not a grind like videos on youtube. Also if I drive hard from 1st to 2nd it dosent do it. Dealer supposedly changed the fluid. I don’t quite believe them since it still does it.
red6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 09:30 AM   #14
shogun37

Drives: none
Quote:
No, I'm not talking about the skip shift (1st to 4th). I've learned to ignore the message prompt since I typically shift at 3000 or higher rpms. It's not a big deal anymore. What I noticed after driving the car for 16K miles was the fact that shifting between 1st to 2nd did not feel smooth compared to 3rd to 4th or 4th to 5th.
My 1SS/1LE is new (200 miles) and the 1-2 is really pissing me off because the trans wants to pull it into 4. I wouldn't characterize the transmission as shifting smooth at all in any gear.

1. how do I kill that blasted message?
2. only way I've found to semi-reliably get the 1-2 to cooperate is to pull fast and hard on the shifter. If I'm sedate about the movment then whatever lip the dog hits that's tries to shunt to 4 has a almost perfect record of succeeding.

Whomever GM engineer thought this was a good thing needs to be taken out back and shot. If someone is driving a stick they bloody well know how to do 1-3 or 1-4.
shogun37 is offline   Reply With Quote