Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-20-2019, 12:31 AM   #1
Mosaic6SS

Drives: Camaro
Will Redline D4 damage the transmission???

I had a few issues with my 6 speed so decided to change the fluid. The first issue was jumping out of first gear when I would go to take off. Shifts were notchy with a 1 to 2 “crunch”. I put 3.5 quarts of the Redline D4 in and noticed the 1 to 2 nibble was gone.

It felt a little smoother but not much change in the notchy feel. I am wondering about how the redline will effect the synchronizers, some articles I have read, say it’s not compatible. Also wondering if there will be any seal swelling.

My biggest concern is I noticed that Redline does not recommend this ATF for the 2017 Camaro SS manual on their site. Anyone have any insight or experiences?
Mosaic6SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 11:55 AM   #2
Mosaic6SS

Sent an email to Tremec and the reply was “We can only recommend you follow the factory recommended fluid.”

I called Redline and was advised that the Redline D4 is compatible with the TR-6060.

The guy I spoke with went on to say that the fluid is a full ester based synthetic and not petroleum so no issues with seal swelling.

He also went on to explain that the database for the recommended products per vehicle list is being updated so if the vehicle is not there in the database the default recommendation is “not recommended”. I checked the 2016 Camaro MM6 and the Redline D4 is recommended.

As far as the synchros, he explained that the D4 has a comparable detergent package to the AC Delco Manual Trans Fluid. He also said that the fluid will not cause any issues with modern day synchros so no need to worry about swelling or excessive wear.

I have used Redline products for awhile. Every time I have used the product line, I have personally noticed an improvement in various areas. With my experience with Redline I feel comfortable that the D4 ATF will not harm the TR-6060 and based on the feel of the transmission now, it’s an improvement.

Please feel free to share any thoughts, experiences or opinions.
Old 06-20-2019, 02:30 PM   #3
retmil

Drives: 2022 Wild Cherry SS
Related info in a roundabout way: My 17SS has had the "notchy" 2nd gear issue since new (2875 miles now). I switched to Royal Purple some time ago and have felt a little less of the problem but not a lot. I have tried shifting at higher rpms (3500-4200) and that helps but not always doable in heavy traffic. I have a friend who is a certified Vette technician and also Camaro guru and he told me most of the issue is with the way the 2nd gear synchros are made.
retmil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 04:00 PM   #4
Mosaic6SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by retmil View Post
Related info in a roundabout way: My 17SS has had the "notchy" 2nd gear issue since new (2875 miles now). I switched to Royal Purple some time ago and have felt a little less of the problem but not a lot. I have tried shifting at higher rpms (3500-4200) and that helps but not always doable in heavy traffic. I have a friend who is a certified Vette technician and also Camaro guru and he told me most of the issue is with the way the 2nd gear synchros are made.
I think the build these transmission really tight for longevity. I’m thinking it will take quite a few miles before it’s really broken in.
Old 06-20-2019, 06:43 PM   #5
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
Uh, I sure hope not, I had mine refilled with such back in April.
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 12:44 AM   #6
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
from what I've read, D4 works fine in either the TR3160 or TR6060.
protovack is offline   Reply With Quote