Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 11-29-2019, 09:33 PM   #43
Dixie ZL1
NOXQCES ZL1

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlarsen462 View Post
Huh, I actually get this on my ZL1 1LE which has brakes unique to it amongst the models I believe? Going slowly down onramps in heavy traffic it's really bad...like a howling tone that really makes your teeth quiver.

I wonder if it's the same phenomenon? Even does it after I bedded in the brakes really well.

I notice it much more on hotter days I'm guessing that's what they mean by "climate change" lol
All ZL1’s have the same brakes, but they are different than the SS 1LE addressed in this bulletin.
Dixie ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 01:35 AM   #44
Nick801

Drives: ‘18 Camaro 2SS
I am a 2018 SS and had brake squeal since got the car in September at 4k miles and im now at 8k. Does this TSB under my factory warranty replace my front rotors if i call them and ask about it?
Nick801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 03:26 AM   #45
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
No one should be telling you brake squeal is normal with high performance brakes - it is not! There’s plenty of high performance cars on the road - Corvettes, Porsches, GT-Rs, Lotus, Supras, Audis, you name it - with large, heavy duty Brembo high performance brakes that do not squeal.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 12:58 PM   #46
Okie Noggin

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS
My brakes were squealing at 10,000 miles. Took the TSB in to the dealer and they replaced the rotors. No problem. They squealed for a bit longer until the contaminants on the pads wore off and it is been great ever since.
Okie Noggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 05:16 PM   #47
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol Head View Post
No one should be telling you brake squeal is normal with high performance brakes - it is not! There’s plenty of high performance cars on the road - Corvettes, Porsches, GT-Rs, Lotus, Supras, Audis, you name it - with large, heavy duty Brembo high performance brakes that do not squeal.
Lots more goes into brake noise than just the names on the various components involved. Exact pad compound might be #1. Rotor vibration characteristics - probably involving structural damping the way this TSB appears to be handling it (with high-carbon rotors) - also matters. Somebody ought to check to see if there are any differences in vane count/orientation and other rotor dimensions, as those things will affect vibration behavior as well..

The closer your pad formulation gets to an all-out track compound, the more likely it is that you'll get some noise during low-energy stops along with the improved braking performance under repeated heavy braking. So there's a degree of noise sensitivity based on how hard the pads are being squeezed against the rotors. I keep reading here where at least the SS/1LE pads seem to be at least adequate up to light track duty, so I'm not particularly surprised here.

Norm
Old 05-29-2020, 06:49 PM   #48
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Lots more goes into brake noise than just the names on the various components involved. Exact pad compound might be #1. Rotor vibration characteristics - probably involving structural damping the way this TSB appears to be handling it (with high-carbon rotors) - also matters. Somebody ought to check to see if there are any differences in vane count/orientation and other rotor dimensions, as those things will affect vibration behavior as well..

The closer your pad formulation gets to an all-out track compound, the more likely it is that you'll get some noise during low-energy stops along with the improved braking performance under repeated heavy braking. So there's a degree of noise sensitivity based on how hard the pads are being squeezed against the rotors. I keep reading here where at least the SS/1LE pads seem to be at least adequate up to light track duty, so I'm not particularly surprised here.

Norm
As I said, there’s plenty of cars out there with brakes just like ours or even beefier on the road with no noise in light duty use. There was/is something not right with the brakes on Camaros that have this issue.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 08:02 AM   #49
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol Head View Post
As I said, there’s plenty of cars out there with brakes just like ours or even beefier on the road with no noise in light duty use. There was/is something not right with the brakes on Camaros that have this issue.
I'm not hearing that all Camaro owners are having this problem, so this might be an instance where Chevy only tried to cut everything just a little too close for the Camaro where maybe they intentionally played it safer for the Corvette. Even for only $10/car it wouldn't surprise me to find out that Chevy was willing to risk having to fix a few Camaros.

I have no idea what the 18" mentioned in the TSB refers to, or whether it could be a typo.

Norm