Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 05-28-2020, 01:16 PM   #57
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abubaca View Post
No. The AFTERMARKET systems that you can adjust modes from loud to quiet have to be installed on cars that already have the NPP system. So if your car does NOT have NPP, then you cannot install an aftermarket NPP system. -at least officially. Off the record, I do believe the software to control the NPP is in ALL the cars, and you can turn it using HP Tuners, run some wires, and then you CAN use it, even if you don't have it originally installed. I do NOT know this to be fact though.

If you have a car without NPP, you CAN install a set of remotely controlled cutouts, which will give you the option to change modes, but it will NOT run through the car's existing software/touchscreen. It would be a completely independent system. You install the physical pipes and valves under the car, run some wires and install the included switch somewhere in the car accessible to the driver.
Adding what I believe I have learned...

What is NPP? At its core, it’s the ability to change the “path” that the exhaust takes through the muffler to directly affect the sound level (and possibly flow restriction level?). NPP exhausts have two outlets on each muffler, one of which ensures the exhaust travels the full length of the muffler while the other allows the exhaust out having traveled only a portion of the way. This second outlet has an electronically controlled valve that is connected into the car’s various control modules so that the driver and the car can jointly control whether or not the second outlet has its valve open or not and to what extent.

While any aftermarket exhaust that supports the valve control of NPP can be installed on a car that was not factory equipped with that exhaust, the experience will be starkly different. Cars that do not come from the factory with the NPP exhaust can not be “retrofitted” later to support the integrated valve control. As a result, the valves on an aftermarket e haunt designed for NPP will lack any way to be connected into the control modules of the car to manipulate that valve. While there may be ways to provide some sort of control for that valve, it will be entirely manually operated and will not give the same experience as if it were able to be integrated.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 01:33 PM   #58
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
You are correct!��
Old 05-28-2020, 07:00 PM   #59
JROC
Account Suspended

Drives: 19 Camaro SS 1LE, 03 Ford Lightning
Has anyone tried the Hooker Blackheart system with the valves? It's kind of unique looking, but pricey. Also why do they say it's for manual cars and not auto cars? I don't see what would prevent it from working on a A8/A10 car.
https://www.phastekperformance.com/2...xhaust-ab1.htm

How does Magnaflows sound on these cars?

BTW Stainless Works and Kooks make exhausts for these cars. Maybe ARH, but IDK for sure other than LT's.
JROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 07:03 PM   #60
caSStro18

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JROC View Post
Has anyone tried the Hooker Blackheart system with the valves? It's kind of unique looking, but pricey. Also why do they say it's for manual cars and not auto cars? I don't see what would prevent it from working on a A8/A10 car.

BTW Stainless Works and Kooks make exhausts for these cars. Maybe ARH, but IDK for sure other than LT's.
I believe it might have something to do with the AFM system in the autos. But, I’m not really sure. I know that AWE does not recommend the cat back system for autos because of the AFM valves.
caSStro18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 07:04 PM   #61
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JROC View Post

Kind of doesn't matter.. The discussion here is about cars that are NOT factory-equipped with NPP and there's this little bullet in the description of that exhaust:

- Factory dual mode electronic exhaust valve actuators bolts directly without any modifications

That means it ONLY works on cars that are factory-equipped with NPP as there is no other way to obtain the "Factory dual mode electronic exhaust valve actuators" they are talking about.
Old 05-28-2020, 07:06 PM   #62
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
Magnaflows have always been super droney.
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 07:07 PM   #63
enzia35

Quote:
Originally Posted by caSStro18 View Post
I believe it might have something to do with the AFM system in the autos. But, I’m not really sure. I know that AWE does not recommend the cat back system for autos because of the AFM valves.
Which doesn't make sense because those are in the x-pipe, not the axle back part of the exhaust.

Looking at the exhaust though, it looks like it cuts ahead of the AFM valves, so that's why it's not for auto cars. Although the AFM functionality can just be tuned out.
Old 05-28-2020, 07:07 PM   #64
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
You could be on to something, but that would be sort of dumb if they're using the factory valve controls... No?

I have seen exhaust specs that state for manual or non-AFM because of what you're referring to. Basically, the car goes into 4cyl mode and there isn't enough back pressure for it operate properly (or is it too much?). Given that this one uses the factory valve controllers, one would THINK that it would just as integrated as the factory exhaust. Unless... They're not maintaining the same level of back pressure no matter what.
Old 05-28-2020, 07:26 PM   #65
JROC
Account Suspended

Drives: 19 Camaro SS 1LE, 03 Ford Lightning
Quote:
That makes sense. Good explanation. Good reason to get rid of the AFM and the factory lifters when the warranty is up.
JROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 01:37 PM   #66
ember1205
Hot Camaro

I'm closing in on a couple of specific cars and have gotten more formal offers from the dealers although the negotiation process isn't completely finished yet.

Both are 2020 6-speed Convertibles.

One has NPP and "nothing else" for options and comes with a great discount from the dealership. It's about a 200 mile trip to get it.

One has Mag Ride, navigation, and is the exact exterior/interior color combo I want. Dealership discount isn't as large, but it's half the distance away. I'm leaning this direction right now and am going to ask for a little more concession from them and see what happens.

Since the more likely car has the standard exhaust, I will drive it for a little bit and then start checking out specific aftermarket options. Are there any "muffler shops" that can provide sounds clips or similar of different exhausts on this exact car? Or, is there some way that might be suggested to be able to hear the various different exhausts on this car before making a purchase and having something installed?
Old 05-29-2020, 02:03 PM   #67
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zr8000 View Post
All those pictures and not even one video of exhaust sounds. Sad.
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 02:11 PM   #68
enzia35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
I'm closing in on a couple of specific cars and have gotten more formal offers from the dealers although the negotiation process isn't completely finished yet.

Both are 2020 6-speed Convertibles.

One has NPP and "nothing else" for options and comes with a great discount from the dealership. It's about a 200 mile trip to get it.

One has Mag Ride, navigation, and is the exact exterior/interior color combo I want. Dealership discount isn't as large, but it's half the distance away. I'm leaning this direction right now and am going to ask for a little more concession from them and see what happens.

Since the more likely car has the standard exhaust, I will drive it for a little bit and then start checking out specific aftermarket options. Are there any "muffler shops" that can provide sounds clips or similar of different exhausts on this exact car? Or, is there some way that might be suggested to be able to hear the various different exhausts on this car before making a purchase and having something installed?
Best thing to do if you can't find other close to you to hear in person is get some good headphones and crank some youtube videos up.
Old 05-29-2020, 02:25 PM   #69
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by enzia35 View Post
Best thing to do if you can't find other close to you to hear in person is get some good headphones and crank some youtube videos up.
Yeah, there are lots of clips on YT. My thought about them, though, is that they are all recorded under different conditions using different devices. So, it may not always be a good one-to-one comparison unless one person is using the same device to demonstrate different systems. For example: I found one video from a dealer recording the cold-start sounds of a NPP system "open" versus a stock system using two different cars. If I could find similar videos where one person could demo stock and/or NPP against some different aftermarket options, that would be perfect!
Old 06-08-2020, 06:02 AM   #70
Zapote21
Tampa Bay Camaros

Drives: 2017 Krypton Green 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
According to their web site, the cat back systems don’t fit convertibles. So, axle back only, right?

I would presume Touring Exhaust?
Yes. Axle back only. I went with track edition

Sent from my Note 10+ 5G using Tapatalk
2016 C7 DSOM
2012 2SS yellow vert
2017 2LT Krypton Green
2018 2LT Hot wheels crush
2020 2SS Shock vert.
2017 2SS Krypton Green coupe
Zapote21 is offline   Reply With Quote