Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-29-2020, 12:47 PM   #71
Abubaca

Drives: 2016 SS
Lot of people discussing what is and isn't a classic, myself included. In my opinion, ANY car removed from it's era, and kept or restored to what it was, is a classic.
Abubaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 12:47 PM   #72
mikeman
Banned

Drives: 2015 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by c4racer View Post
Agree! Watching BAT is quite interesting. I am shocked at what lower miles late 80's IROCs, 4th gens from all years, 90's Impala SS and so forth are going for. I saw a IROC with under 50K miles sell for almost what I paid for a brand new one in 1989 - my first new car. Amazing. Terrible cars compared to a 5th or 6th gen that could be had for similar $.

So who knows - I could see a scenario where 6th gen cars - especially with 6MT could be somewhat cult classic collectible in 10-20 years from now - especially if we continue down the technology path and electric becomes more and more the norm during that time.

For me - I'm keeping mine as long as I continue to enjoy it. Mine is also a 2016, but it's one of 4 vehicles I drive on a rotating basis so it has only 13K miles on it. Garaged and covered in the winter. I'm not expecting it to be a collectible - but I really enjoy driving the car whenever I get the chance and as long as that continues and I can afford to keep it around - I will do so.
I also have a full on Pro-Touring build 1971 that is certainly more of a classic - I hope to own that one long term, but even if I did sell it I would replace it with something similar. The performance envelope is quite similar to the 6th gen, but it's a completely different driving experience and one that a modern car will just never have. I don't want to drive it every day and in every situation but it's a fantastic car to have as part of my rotation.
Why do you say the old 3rd gens were terrible cars?

The 350 TPI cars were some of the most powerful best looking cars at the time.. The styling was sexy and they were very popular back in the day. In fact, I betcha you'd get more looks driving a clean mint looking 3rd gen Iroc around town than a 6th gen unless it's a ZL1-1LE model.

Those '80's 3rd gens are starting to creep up in value. Of course, like everything else, the ultra low mile high option mint examples are getting top dollar. I don't think the 6th gen manual cars will ever be a cult classic though. The automatics are faster and that's what people care about. Back in the first muscle car era, manuals were known to be faster than the auto slushboxes offered back then so the value and desirability on them increased more.
mikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 01:23 PM   #73
c4racer

Drives: 2016 SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeman View Post

The 350 TPI cars were some of the most powerful best looking cars at the time.. The styling was sexy and they were very popular back in the day. In fact, I betcha you'd get more looks driving a clean mint looking 3rd gen Iroc around town than a 6th gen unless it's a ZL1-1LE model.

Those '80's 3rd gens are starting to creep up in value. Of course, like everything else, the ultra low mile high option mint examples are getting top dollar. I don't think the 6th gen manual cars will ever be a cult classic though. The automatics are faster and that's what people care about. Back in the first muscle car era, manuals were known to be faster than the auto slushboxes offered back then so the value and desirability on them increased more.
not saying they were terrible at the time, just when compared to the 5/6 gens. Great cars at the time - but total 80s GM interiors and pretty flexible chassis - they can be made into great cars, but all stock they don't do much for me at this point compared to the current offerings.

We can agree to disagree on the auto vs. stick - my point there isn't what is fastest - it's just that drivers who like a manual transmission will be searching harder and harder for them over the next years because eventually they will probably be phased out. So that will bump the value a bit on all manual trans performance / collector type cars in 15-20 years IMO.
c4racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 01:44 PM   #74
foshjowler

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T, 91 Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeman View Post

If all people care about is which is faster, then why is it that manual Ferraris and Porsches get a higher dollar at auction. Speed sells new cars, involvement sells old cars.

In 20-30 years when we're all driving around electric cars to get to work, but when we want to go to the track with something with a manual transmission, we will have to turn to either older cars or kit cars. I foresee cars with manual transmissions and high driver involvement going much the way the horse has; reserved for recreation while our main form of transportation has moved on to something else.

I really think we are living in a golden age of the performance car.

Youtube Channel

foshjowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 05:51 PM   #75
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abubaca View Post
Lot of people discussing what is and isn't a classic, myself included. In my opinion, ANY car removed from it's era, and kept or restored to what it was, is a classic.
The issue is perhaps already starting to become whether or not the average enthusiast is going to be able to do that with any of the current crop of performance cars. Either having the necessary skills or being [realistically] able to pay somebody who does have them is going to be a significant barrier.

Norm
Old 05-29-2020, 08:36 PM   #76
Abubaca

Quote:
The styling was sexy and they were very popular back in the day. In fact, I betcha you'd get more looks driving a clean mint looking 3rd gen Iroc around town than a 6th gen unless it's a ZL1-1LE model.
No need to bet. It's an absolute guarantee. My old girl drew crowds at C&C up there with the exotics. After 20 years I just wanted to experience something new. No regrets, though she'll always be my favorite. Sold it for a small fortune and bought my SS.
Attached Images

Old 06-01-2020, 05:25 PM   #77
Deputy Dog
Banned

Drives: 2017 Super Sport Cam.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpskinzhut View Post
Just to name a few:

Datsun 240Z,

gen 1 Toyota Celica fastback,

First and second gen Nissan Skyline

Toyota 2000 GT

There may be a following by some who like these. As true desirable classics. I doubt it.
Deputy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 08:33 PM   #78
knighti2

Drives: 2SS M6 Hot Wheels #515
Abubaca,

I had an 86 IROC in the early 90s with TTops and exact same color as yours. That is still a great looking car.
knighti2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 06:04 PM   #79
mikeman
Banned

Drives: 2015 Camaro
Quote:
No need to bet. It's an absolute guarantee. My old girl drew crowds at C&C up there with the exotics. After 20 years I just wanted to experience something new. No regrets, though she'll always be my favorite. Sold it for a small fortune and bought my SS.
Beautiful!
mikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 08:16 PM   #80
Abubaca

Quote:
Beautiful!
Thanks guys!!!!!!!!!! ....I have no regrets, but I suppose I do miss her.
Old 06-04-2020, 10:32 AM   #81
1LEASYE

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Think of it like this: We are at the end of the ICE (Internal Combustion Engine) Age.

From what it appears every mass production to boutique car marker world wide will be pushing out more hybrid cars by 2030 at the latest and their respective car lineups maybe all electric by then (depending on how much longer the C19 causes havoc for these companies).

Get what you can get while you can get it and enjoy the original age of the automobile while you can before electricity fully takes over and then the hybrids and fully electric cars they have their time.
Old 06-04-2020, 11:14 AM   #82
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Funnily enough, I watched the Regular Car Review's video on Camaro IROC-Z just before you posted this. Pretty funny stuff. Do you reek of cigarettes?

That's a clean car and it's great to see it's kept in such good condition.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 02:58 PM   #83
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
Funnily enough, I watched the Regular Car Review's video on Camaro IROC-Z just before you posted this. Pretty funny stuff. Do you reek of cigarettes?

That's a clean car and it's great to see it's kept in such good condition.
Clock keeps ticking. This car is 34 years old. This is a 2021 Camaro in 2055. I'll be 94 :(
Old 06-04-2020, 03:06 PM   #84
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpskinzhut View Post
Just to name a few:

Datsun 240Z,

gen 1 Toyota Celica fastback,

First and second gen Nissan Skyline

Toyota 2000 GT
My Integra Type R is getting money too:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/buying...ntegra-type-r/
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote