Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-29-2018, 05:09 PM   #15
FNxR3DNECK

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Yea I have to disagree with most here. A lot of people have trust issues with dealers because of the horror stories, those stories are FAR from the norm and you never hear about the thousands of services that get done with no issues at all. I have very competent friends that are mechanics at dealerships, the notion that all dealership service departments are shit is just wrong. But if you are paranoid, just do it yourself. I've had at least 5 oil changes done with no issues (though I do supply the oil) and I will probably continue to have the dealership do it until I find a local performance shop that I like to do all the work on my car (I'm a driver not a mechanic and not afraid to admit it lol).
Old 11-29-2018, 05:17 PM   #16
7WSM

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
I hate doing oil changes myself. Got to go buy the oil, filter, lift the vehicle do the change, then I have to dispose of all the crap when finished. My time is worth more then a routine oil change. I get my techs to do it for me.

If you have trust issues with your dealership, time to find a new one to deal with.
7WSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 05:39 PM   #17
Airfuel

Drives: '19 2SS M6.
Buy the filters online with the oil. That takes 5 minutes.
Oil gets recycled at my local “dump” along with my recycling of paper/cardboard and glass. (Once a month maybe)

Actual oil change takes a leisurely half hour.

Beats scheduling an appointment and waiting at a dealer.

Take pride in a job well done. (I’m a freak and like changing my oil)
Old 11-29-2018, 06:00 PM   #18
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airfuel View Post
Buy the filters online with the oil. That takes 5 minutes.
Oil gets recycled at my local “dump” along with my recycling of paper/cardboard and glass. (Once a month maybe)

Actual oil change takes a leisurely half hour.

Beats scheduling an appointment and waiting at a dealer.

Take pride in a job well done. (I’m a freak and like changing my oil)
Yup, it takes a lot less time to DIY an oil change than bring the car in anywhere. And it's super easy on the LT1, there are no covers to even remove. And the drain bolt only takes 18 lb ft of torque.

It's much harder to figure out how to lift the car with a floor jack safely than it is to change the oil, but there are threads on that...

Anyways, one good reason to do it yourself is so you can use Mobil 1 0W40 ESP and a WIX XP oil filter. The oil is expensive, make SURE you get the dexos2 ESP version. However, it's approved for both track and street use, and is probably better for maintaining cats and reducing deposits on intake valves.
DaveC113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 06:03 PM   #19
Airfuel

Drives: '19 2SS M6.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post

It's much harder to figure out how to lift the car with a floor jack safely than it is to change the oil,
Ramps.
Drive up, drive down.

I only use floor jacks if a wheel has to come off.
Old 11-29-2018, 10:06 PM   #20
RobbyBeefcake87

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airfuel View Post
Ramps.
Drive up, drive down.

I only use floor jacks if a wheel has to come off.
1le splitters make a lot of normal ramps unusable. I hear race ramps are the way to go.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
2017 Corvette Grandsport (sold) - untouched.
2006 GTO (sold) - iat relocation, air box mod, monero side marker lights.
RobbyBeefcake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 10:25 PM   #21
Turbo_J89

Drives: 2015 BVM Camaro 1LE (2SS/RS)
You won't be disappointed if you have no expectations for quality work. They'll touch your alcantara with dirty hands, put oil smudges on every surface, splash oil in your engine bay, use a dirty funnel, get the level wrong by a quart, jack the car up improperly, not actually torque a single bolt, and maybe even use the wrong viscosity. If you belong to the 99% who don't care as long as the dealer has free WiFi, you are gonna love it!
Turbo_J89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 03:47 AM   #22
Warrior102

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_J89 View Post
You won't be disappointed if you have no expectations for quality work. They'll touch your alcantara with dirty hands, put oil smudges on every surface, splash oil in your engine bay, use a dirty funnel, get the level wrong by a quart, jack the car up improperly, not actually torque a single bolt, and maybe even use the wrong viscosity. If you belong to the 99% who don't care as long as the dealer has free WiFi, you are gonna love it!
Thanks, Turbo, I was just warming up to let them do a freebie and you bring up dirty funnels, damn! I talked to the parts lady and she has the 40W ESP oil and I have the ZL1 lift blocks installed and now this... GM must be saving a fortune.
Warrior102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 05:30 AM   #23
Gabhart

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
Race Ramps are definitely the way to go. As far as doing it yourself if you keep receipts for the oil and filter and records of date a mileage for each change GM will not void your warranty.
Attached Images

Gabhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 06:19 AM   #24
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_J89 View Post

I've worked at car dealerships for over 30 years and before that had my car worked on by other people.

I do my own servicing, no one else will touch my car if I can help it.

Between the dirty funnel, hand prints, foot prints, scratches, dents, crushed rocker panels, starting of the car before the oil goes in, oil spray on the engine, double gasket oil filter, loose drain plug, wrong quantity of oil, incorrect grade of oil, overtightened drain plug, forgotten filter change, burnout behind the shop, trip to McD's for lunch, forgot to put oil in before pulled outside, wrong fluid poured in wrong hole.
I'll just do it myself.
Old 11-30-2018, 06:56 AM   #25
WCKD 1LE

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost Creep View Post

I've worked at car dealerships for over 30 years and before that had my car worked on by other people.

I do my own servicing, no one else will touch my car if I can help it.

Between the dirty funnel, hand prints, foot prints, scratches, dents, crushed rocker panels, starting of the car before the oil goes in, oil spray on the engine, double gasket oil filter, loose drain plug, wrong quantity of oil, incorrect grade of oil, overtightened drain plug, forgotten filter change, burnout behind the shop, trip to McD's for lunch, forgot to put oil in before pulled outside, wrong fluid poured in wrong hole.
I'll just do it myself.

Damn, the tec. must have been dumb blind and deaf.

Luckily my wife is the marketing director at the dealership and I know all of the techs and service manager.

Service manager owns a ZL1 and the head tech a Z06 and it trickles down from there, so I'm blessed to know that not only do they know to take extra care of my 1LE but they do know what they are doing.
WCKD 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 07:05 AM   #26
dmcmahan60

Drives: 2017 SS
But the horror stories do happen. I had my free oil change done at the dealership in August on my way out of town for a concert. Drove from Huntsville, AL to Atlanta, GA and after I parked my car on a steep incline and went to start it later on the check engine oil light came on.

It never lost oil pressure the entire 3.5 hour drive and it stayed parked until I called my service writer to tell him what was going on. That was late on a Friday night so he did not get back to me until Saturday morning. He says don't drive the car and let me pull the service ticket to see how much oil they billed on the invoice.

Text's me back and says go get 4 quarts and add them one by one because the mechanic swears he put 8 quarts in it. Still 2 short! 4 quarts later it finally shows full on the stick. So I ran it 300 plus miles on 6 quarts of oil. Check your dip stick before you leave the dealership please.

So I drive straight from Atlanta back to the dealership and requested to talk to the service manager but he was not in (Saturday) but I did talk to the shop Foreman while they changed the oil in my car, washed it, and filled it up with gas.

After not losing my S**t and voicing my concerns he told me to come back on Monday to talk to the Service Manager which I did. Kept my cool and told him I had no trust whatsoever in them working on my car every again and he was very apologetic.

in the end I got 2 more free oil changes and a certified letter stating the my Powertrain Warranty is extended out to 120,000 miles and 6 year transferable.

I am going to start doing it my self.

Sorry for the long read.
dmcmahan60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 08:49 AM   #27
thrashergrant

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Thanks for the feedback.

Trust issues prevail. Definitely going to be changing it myself, especially after confirming with my dealership that changing the oil myself WILL NOT void the warranty!

Now, where to buy that elusive mobil 1 0w-40 dexos 2...
thrashergrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 09:02 AM   #28
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Looks like it's at Summit and other places for $64/6 qts.... Here for $8/qt:

https://www.gmwholesaledirect.com/oe...p-oil-19370233
DaveC113 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1le, change, dealer, oil