Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 05-28-2016, 05:27 AM   #29
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by brutusvk View Post
You missed it. Both are the TOUR when in non track or sport. (Ice and tour) Valve closed = borla's tour muffler sound. Valve open = s type or ATAK. (Track or sport) It is just plain that simple. Not sure where the issue is.
That's what I'm guessing. Some clarification would be nice though.
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 12:30 AM   #30
david borla

Drives: Ford GT
Certainly not cutouts. Our systems are true bimodal exhaust systems with separate paths. I encourage you to cut them open and see for yourselves. You'll be pleasantly surprised how advanced the technology is. And/or, drive our systems for a few days and then drive a cutout for a few days so you can hear the difference inside the cabin. Outside the vehicle too but especially inside the cabin at around 2000 rpm. We use a combination of our own patented technology accompanied by sound cancelling technology and other methods. Cut the mufflers open and see for yourself. Our approach and strategy differs from all the others, cut them all open and challenge me on this. Sound is subjective so your opinion on the results is your opinion. But the technology in our mufflers is science and not debatable.
david borla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 12:49 AM   #31
brutusvk

Drives: future 2016 SS
I was being sarcastic. If the system worked as was described by the earlier poster it would be a simple cutout or bypass.

But, again it has not been fully explained. Does the Camaro system work like the corvette's? Is it basically two mufflers in one? If so, is the quiet path the Tour muffler sound in the video? If not, what type of sound is it? Is there going to be a system where Tour is the loud muffler for the NPP? Thus the debate. I referenced the corvette video. I have been on the bandwagon to buy this, not a critic.
brutusvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 11:38 AM   #32
timmy8784
Drippin' Wet Auto Detail

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
I said you win. Hold out for the touring package. It is the one they are betting is their best seller and are holding it for the next big show. The Camaro system is now just an expensive cutout system. Pay no mind that if you look at how the mufflers are set up in both systems they look very similar. Definitely pay zero attention folks were directed to the corvette system to see how the Camaro system will work before it came out. The same valves used in the corvette are simply used as a plain old cutout dump. If that is the case, it will not be a big seller. Cut out systems are inexpensive and quite easy. This system was originally priced almost exactly the same as the vette. But I guess it is less system at similar prices. If it works the way you think it does, don't buy it. I will let them explain it. I am not compensated from them so I will no longer spend any time on it. Funny how the two mufflers look so similar except the bends though. Odd.
No one has said that they are holding out for the Touring system. My question was simply how does the S-Type and Atak system sound with the valves closed. Does it sound similar to the Touring exhaust in the video? probably....but I would expect the S-Type and the Atak to have different sounds with the Valves closed....however I have not heard anyone from Borla confirm nor deny this
timmy8784 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 11:45 AM   #33
david borla

Quote:
I was being sarcastic. If the system worked as was described by the earlier poster it would be a simple cutout or bypass.

But, again it has not been fully explained. Does the Camaro system work like the corvette's? Is it basically two mufflers in one? If so, is the quiet path the Tour muffler sound in the video? If not, what type of sound is it? Is there going to be a system where Tour is the loud muffler for the NPP? Thus the debate. I referenced the corvette video. I have been on the bandwagon to buy this, not a critic.
My apologies for not recognizing the sarcasm.

I can see why there's some confusion, this is a new strategy for us and we need to improve our methods of demonstrating this new approach.

Once we release the Mid-Pipes/X-Pipes it will all make a lot more sense.

Anyhow, the idea is to give you guys an even larger selection of options than we have in the past by using a modular design that is somewhat interchangeable.

Sorry for the caps, bold font and underline but this is important. WHAT IS WRITTEN BELOW PERTAINS ONLY TO THE V8 WITH NPP.

The V8 without NPP, as well as the other engines (6cyl and 4cyl.), each have their own product line.

The 2 rear sections, S-Type and ATAK, both include a "quiet" circuit which occurs when the valves are closed. The difference between open and closed is dramatic with both sound levels and the difference between open and closed is much more noticeable than stock.

The next group of components you have to choose from, after selecting a rear section, are the 4 different Mid-pipes/X-pipes which complete the cat-back. The difference between these 4 Mid-Pipes/X-Pipes are "Street Legal vs. Race/Track Use Only" and "AFM vs. Non-AFM". The street legal options are "cut and clamp" behind the catalytic converters while the track/race use only options bolt to the flanges in front of the catalytic converts, thus removing the catalytic converters (which is why they cannot be driven on public roads and are for race use only). AFM = "Active Fuel Management" and this is the function where 4 cylinders are deactivated to save fuel. When this happens, the exhaust note changes and GM has included architecture within the exhaust to close valves in order to compensate for this sound change. The AFM valves are different from the NPP valves. Some Camaro owners wish to disable AFM and in that case there's no reason to include AFM valves, so both the street legal and race only X-Pipes are offered with or without AFM valves.

The 4 different Mid-Pipes/X-Pipes are as follows:
1) Street Legal with AFM valves - Borla Part Number 60610
2) Street Legal without AFM valves - Borla Part Number 60607
3) Race Only (not for use on public roads) with AFM valves - Borla Part Number 60609
4) Race Only (not for use on public roads) without AFM valves - Borla Part Number 60606

Part number 60608 is a "Touring Resonator Option" which can be added to any of the Mid-Pipe/X-Pipes for those who want to bring down the decibel level of whichever Borla setup they have. You can add this "Touring Resonator Option" to either the S-Type or ATAK rear sections so long as you also have one of the Borla Mid-Pipes/X-Pipes.

My recommendation is to pick a rear section and X-Pipe/Mid-Pipe and wait on the "Touring Resonator", you can always add it later if you want to make things a bit more quiet.

We also have long tube headers and a 3" Race Only system coming soon.

Any more questions please let me know.
Old 05-31-2016, 11:52 AM   #34
david borla

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy8784 View Post
No one has said that they are holding out for the Touring system. My question was simply how does the S-Type and Atak system sound with the valves closed. Does it sound similar to the Touring exhaust in the video? probably....but I would expect the S-Type and the Atak to have different sounds with the Valves closed....however I have not heard anyone from Borla confirm nor deny this
We blew it by not comparing the valves closed so my apologies for that. We're going to do some testing so I can give you the valve closed decibel data and we'll have that done by the end of this week.

With that said and not having the data yet, here's how the closed valve positions sound to me. The S-Type + Touring Mid-Pipe in the open position is louder than any of the setups with the valves closed. The closed valve position is going to be similar, though not identical, regardless of the setup. It's the open position where you really hear the difference between the sound levels.

Does this answer your question? If not, please let me know and I'll take another run at it.
Old 05-31-2016, 12:16 PM   #35
timmy8784
Drippin' Wet Auto Detail

Quote:
Originally Posted by david borla View Post
We blew it by not comparing the valves closed so my apologies for that. We're going to do some testing so I can give you the valve closed decibel data and we'll have that done by the end of this week.

With that said and not having the data yet, here's how the closed valve positions sound to me. The S-Type + Touring Mid-Pipe in the open position is louder than any of the setups with the valves closed. The closed valve position is going to be similar, though not identical, regardless of the setup. It's the open position where you really hear the difference between the sound levels.

Does this answer your question? If not, please let me know and I'll take another run at it.
Yes, this answers my question. Thank you

Looking forward to the decibel data!
timmy8784 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 01:37 PM   #36
david borla

Quote:
Originally Posted by david borla View Post
My apologies for not recognizing the sarcasm.

I can see why there's some confusion, this is a new strategy for us and we need to improve our methods of demonstrating this new approach.

Once we release the Mid-Pipes/X-Pipes it will all make a lot more sense.

Anyhow, the idea is to give you guys an even larger selection of options than we have in the past by using a modular design that is somewhat interchangeable.

Sorry for the caps, bold font and underline but this is important. WHAT IS WRITTEN BELOW PERTAINS ONLY TO THE V8 WITH NPP.

The V8 without NPP, as well as the other engines (6cyl and 4cyl.), each have their own product line.

The 2 rear sections, S-Type and ATAK, both include a "quiet" circuit which occurs when the valves are closed. The difference between open and closed is dramatic with both sound levels and the difference between open and closed is much more noticeable than stock.

The next group of components you have to choose from, after selecting a rear section, are the 4 different Mid-pipes/X-pipes which complete the cat-back. The difference between these 4 Mid-Pipes/X-Pipes are "Street Legal vs. Race/Track Use Only" and "AFM vs. Non-AFM". The street legal options are "cut and clamp" behind the catalytic converters while the track/race use only options bolt to the flanges in front of the catalytic converts, thus removing the catalytic converters (which is why they cannot be driven on public roads and are for race use only). AFM = "Active Fuel Management" and this is the function where 4 cylinders are deactivated to save fuel. When this happens, the exhaust note changes and GM has included architecture within the exhaust to close valves in order to compensate for this sound change. The AFM valves are different from the NPP valves. Some Camaro owners wish to disable AFM and in that case there's no reason to include AFM valves, so both the street legal and race only X-Pipes are offered with or without AFM valves.

The 4 different Mid-Pipes/X-Pipes are as follows:
1) Street Legal with AFM valves - Borla Part Number 60610
2) Street Legal without AFM valves - Borla Part Number 60607
3) Race Only (not for use on public roads) with AFM valves - Borla Part Number 60609
4) Race Only (not for use on public roads) without AFM valves - Borla Part Number 60606

Part number 60608 is a "Touring Resonator Option" which can be added to any of the Mid-Pipe/X-Pipes for those who want to bring down the decibel level of whichever Borla setup they have. You can add this "Touring Resonator Option" to either the S-Type or ATAK rear sections so long as you also have one of the Borla Mid-Pipes/X-Pipes.

My recommendation is to pick a rear section and X-Pipe/Mid-Pipe and wait on the "Touring Resonator", you can always add it later if you want to make things a bit more quiet.

We also have long tube headers and a 3" Race Only system coming soon.

Any more questions please let me know.
I also want to be clear that we have completely eliminated drone from all configurations, valves open or closed, any gear, any RPM, up hills, right foot brake or anything else that might cause drone. Absolutely ZERO drone. You will hear statements from others like "reduced drone" or other creative ways of saying their systems drone. Bottom line is there is no drone in the Borla systems, none whatsoever.

And, we include our million mile warranty as always.
Old 06-12-2016, 07:38 PM   #37
brutusvk

Installed on my car

https://youtu.be/pAVdAAbtLOk
Old 06-12-2016, 07:50 PM   #38
Tazz3069

Nice. Are those the Axle back only or do you have the X Pipe installed as well?

2016 Camaro 2SS "Black Widow"
Tazz3069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 09:05 PM   #39
brutusvk

Just the rear section. I ordered both but the x pipe doesn't ship until next month.
Old 06-13-2016, 07:50 AM   #40
JoeAyalaM
Account Suspended

Drives: Audi S6 V8TT, Volvos XC60 & S60R
That's a very nice garage. Great for the D.I.Y mechanic.
JoeAyalaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 02:28 PM   #41
brutusvk

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeAyalaM View Post
That's a very nice garage. Great for the D.I.Y mechanic.
Thanks. I lived in there for four months. lol We did that while we remodeled. The shop was just finished in Nov 15. It was my dream.
Old 06-15-2016, 05:07 PM   #42
samsumon

Drives: 4 wheels
Quote:
Thanks. I lived in there for four months. lol We did that while we remodeled. The shop was just finished in Nov 15. It was my dream.
What part did you order form Borla exactly?

thanks
samsumon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2016 camaro, borla, borla exhaust, borla performance industries, exhaust