Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

AWE Tuning

Old 12-10-2018, 11:15 AM   #29
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjones14 View Post
Yeah it is the same engine from 2016 to 2019, but GM keeps changing the oil recommendation! 2016-17 recommendation was Dexos1 synthetic blend. Then Dexos1 full synthetic 5W-30 was recommended for 2018 - except for track use, where 0W-40 or 5W-40 Dexos2 was recommended. Now the 2019 recommendation is 0W-40 Dexos2...

Maybe GM keeps changing the recommendations because they're constantly analyzing results and learning how the engine responds to different oils over time? Wouldn't the 2019 recommendation be good for all 6th gen 6.2L engines?
i think this goes to show how UNIMPORTANT all of this oil business really is. some of you girls acting like you’ve never owned a car with an internal combustion engine before...given a few of the responses, i would believe this.
s346k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 11:36 AM   #30
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by s346k View Post
i think this goes to show how UNIMPORTANT all of this oil business really is. some of you girls acting like you’ve never owned a car with an internal combustion engine before...given a few of the responses, i would believe this.
What a revelation!

You should totally call GM and let them know. You just saved them a ton of cash, good job!
DaveC113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 11:47 AM   #31
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
What a revelation!

You should totally call GM and let them know. You just saved them a ton of cash, good job!
one thing is for sure, they need the cash. approved oils range from 0-20 to 5-40. pick one and move on. i think i’m going to print the list off, close my eyes and use tinkerbell’s wand to choose.
s346k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 07:03 PM   #32
TXFIFTYSS

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS FIFTY
I have a FIFTY..so Dexos 5W-30 is what is recommended for my car (and what’s on the fill cap). I’m not torn on what weight/viscosity to use, but rather the brand. I get it...look for the approved Dexos 1 Gen 2 logo, but is one brand better than another? Royal Purple? Mobil 1? Penzoil? Valvoline? Quaker State? No one mentions AC Delco oil, but do mention the PF64 filter. Why is it that so many recommend the factory installed filter, but not the oil? Why use the factory filter, but an aftermarket oil? Isn’t the factory filter considered a “regular” or “conventional” filter whereas a Mobil 1 or K&N filter are considered a “synthetic” filter? I got a really good deal on the high performance K&N filter (HP-1017), but now I’m second guessing it for the PF64 or a Mobil 1 filter. Also...I was leaning towards Royal Purple 5W-30, but now I’m leaning towards Mobil 1 5W-30. I get the ‘19s now come with 0W-40 (and what is recommended), but this formula..at least the ESP version isn’t available in stores and I’m not so sure I even wanna spend that kind of money on that oil when I “merely” have a 2017. See my dilemma here?
TXFIFTYSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 09:42 PM   #33
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
it's a two part question that matters in different ways than the criteria used to select the same components by the factory.

1. Filters do vary brand to brand and within their own lineups. These have been cut open and tested and in many cases, tested scientifically and not just assumptions. You can see these on various sites to make an educated purchasing decision.

2. Oil above a certain threshhold is essentially overkill. But what sets that threshhold is different depending on how you drive the car. If you dont do anything the instruction manual says you shouldn't do and follow it exactly and live in an area that is generally flat and temperate then yea the stock stuff will be fine. If you want to deviate from that, then getting a little more top tier and/or thicker/thinner is preferrable. Generally, you want to aim for overkill within your viscosity range, but not ridiculously expensive. I'd say most people can make do with _any_ brand of full synthetic ...then you just need to pick the viscosity that makes sense for your driving use and be done with it (always change the oil or change the filter by the filter mileage in this case ...as full synth oil will usually outlast your filter..not vice versa). The only people who need to care about a brand of full synth are people who track their cars regularly. Even then, i doubt they're leaving the oil in the engine long enough for the difference in quality between full synth oils matters.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 10:28 PM   #34
TXFIFTYSS

Sadly...I put about 500 miles on my baby in the last 14 months. It does sit in the garage a lot. I definitely don’t do any track days and likely won’t ever. It’s more of a garage queen that I take out every now and then to cruise around. However, I do like to get in the gas here and there. If I had bought a non-50th anniversary Camaro (FIFTY package), I probably would’ve mildly modded it and possibly take it to the strip. Oh and of course drive it a lot more.

Isn’t one of the main purposes of running a full synthetic is less break down which allows you to put more miles between oil changes? For that, you would want a higher quality (“synthetic”) filter so that it matches somewhat the logevity? That’s my whole goal here. It doesn’t make sense in my opinion to use a oil that is good for 5000 miles when the filter is only good for 3000. Then it’s pointless to get that premium oil.
Old 12-11-2018, 09:29 AM   #35
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
TXFIFTYSS, the K&N filter is good as well as the Mobil 1. Synthetic oil doesn’t wear out just gets dirty from extended use. I just changed my oil a couple of weeks ago and I ran my Camaro about 10,000 miles since I changed it last. The oil was black but still flowed good when draining from the pan. I put 10 qts of Valvoline full synthetic 5W30 because I like the brand. It seems most of all the folks here have the brand they like the most and therefore tell others. Since you don’t drive your Camaro much your oil is good to go but make sure you run it long enough to get it up to operating temperature. I understand what you are saying and asking but don’t overthink the oil and oil filter thing. And you know if you need more info then the folks at Advance Auto or Autozone can help you decide what brands to buy. My advice is to buy one of the major brands of synthetic oil and a good filter and you shouldn’t have any problems. Hope this helps you and Good Luck.
Old 12-11-2018, 11:02 AM   #36
TXFIFTYSS

I’m not partial to any brand because I’ve used Royal Purple, Mobil 1, Amsoil, Valvoline, and Penzoil in the past with various vehicles. All from daily drivers to race cars. I do tend to overthink things because I’m OCD and over analyze everything.

I “plan” on driving the car more often, but I don’t suspect it’ll be more than a 1000 miles a year. Again as previously stated, in the last 14 months I’ve only put about 500 miles.

I guess the big thing I read that has me worried about what filter to buy is that the AC Delco filter has a bypass pressure that no other filter matches. So I don’t want to run into any problems buying outside of the factory filter if that’s the case.

Right now from Advance Auto I can get a 5 quart jug of 5W-30 full synthetic Mobil 1 and either an extended performance Mobil 1 filter or K&N high performance filter for $32.99, which is a good deal, as I did the math from all the parts stores including Walmart and it’s the cheapest bundle. That would leave me with just buying 1 more jug which I can get from Walmart because it alone is the cheapest there.
Old 12-11-2018, 01:29 PM   #37
LT4Greg

That’s the deal I take advantage of at Advance Auto. I get Valvoline and a Mobil 1 filter which I have been using them for years on my ‘16 and my ‘10 SS with the LS3 and never had a issue. I don’t have the 2010 and it’s still running strong when I saw it earlier this year. I then either buy another 5 quart jug at WalMart or Advance Auto using my rewards points that I get when I buy something there. Trust me when I say that the Mobil 1 oil filter is very good and IMO is comparable to the AC filter.
Old 12-11-2018, 03:30 PM   #38
Whocares05050

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXFIFTYSS View Post
I’m not partial to any brand because I’ve used Royal Purple, Mobil 1, Amsoil, Valvoline, and Penzoil in the past with various vehicles. All from daily drivers to race cars. I do tend to overthink things because I’m OCD and over analyze everything.

I “plan” on driving the car more often, but I don’t suspect it’ll be more than a 1000 miles a year. Again as previously stated, in the last 14 months I’ve only put about 500 miles.

I guess the big thing I read that has me worried about what filter to buy is that the AC Delco filter has a bypass pressure that no other filter matches. So I don’t want to run into any problems buying outside of the factory filter if that’s the case.

Right now from Advance Auto I can get a 5 quart jug of 5W-30 full synthetic Mobil 1 and either an extended performance Mobil 1 filter or K&N high performance filter for $32.99, which is a good deal, as I did the math from all the parts stores including Walmart and it’s the cheapest bundle. That would leave me with just buying 1 more jug which I can get from Walmart because it alone is the cheapest there.
I would be more worried with intervals if i were you. No matter the miles, you should at the minimum change your oil once a year. 500 or 5k. Also, another concern would be sitting too long before startups. If you dont drive it that often try and at least start the car and get the oil up to operating temp at least once a once. Its good to ensure everything stays lubricated and oiled so there are no dry starts. Most wear happens in the 1st 3 seconds of startup.
Whocares05050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 07:43 PM   #39
TXFIFTYSS

I did some more calculations (lol) and even though I got a hell of a deal on the K&N filters, it still doesn’t beat the Advance Auto deal if I bought the oil separately at the cheapest place. So I’m returning the filters either way. So since I’m starting fresh AND I have the choice (no difference in price)..should I go with the K&N filter of Mobil 1?

Oh absolutely. I had planned on changing it yearly. I do need to start it/drive it more often or like you said bring it up to temp more often. You had a typo...what were you trying to say? Once a week? Month?
Old 12-12-2018, 08:54 AM   #40
LT4Greg

Either oil filter is good. I don’t like the K&N too much because of the case doesn’t have flutes at the bottom where you can tighten it by hand. I can never seem to get them tight enough without using a wrench because but that’s just me. I read on a Corvette forum that the Mobil 1 filter and AC filter are made by the same company and the updated Mobil has the same rating as the AC. So you have a few choices there. While you are there at Advance Auto check with them about the K&N and Mobil 1 and get their advice on which one to get. Like I said before don’t stress out on this oil and oil filter decision.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:47 AM   #41
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Jeep JKU Rubicon
I stick with the OEM PF64 filter. By all accounts it is a good filter, and eliminates any warranty concerns, so why not use it during the drivetrain warranty period, at least.

For oil, once I ran out of "free" changes, I used Castrol full synthetic Dexos gen 2 5w-30. Sorry about the image size, LOL. About $25 for the 5qt jug at Walmart; less when on sale.
Old 12-15-2018, 02:09 PM   #42
Subcool

Drives: 2022 SS 1LE
So I was going to switch to amsoil 100% synthetic 5w-30 yet it’s not dexos approved. It’s a superior oil yet I’m wondering if there could ever be any warranty issues? Anyone else use this or think there could be a potential warranty issue?
Subcool is offline   Reply With Quote