Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 12-04-2018, 05:13 PM   #1
HovPro

Drives: 18' SS 1LE
Need A New Driver Door

Hey Guys, I don't know if it's okay to post stuff like this, still a forum noob, but I had a huge piece of medal fly off a truck and hit my driver door on the freeway. I was unable to get the plates because I was just in shock of what had just happened. I need to buy a new door. I have a 2018 SS 1LE in Hyper Metallic Blue, if anyone is selling a Hyper Metallic Blue Driver Side Door please let me know!! Thank you!
HovPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 05:54 PM   #2
Warrior102

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE Black
Sounds like a comprehensive insurance claim, in these parts comp claims have no deductible and don't affect your rates.
Warrior102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 10:38 PM   #3
matt fe2o3

Drives: 2SS Hyper Blue
What he said. It's gonna be expensive, likely over your deductible. If I had to guess 6 hours labor, 300 parts, 300 paint and another 300 for BS. My guess would be 1400 bucks.
Old 12-05-2018, 06:46 AM   #4
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Why are you even considering doing this yourself? Take it to your favorite body shop, give them your insurance, and be done. You have no idea what else is wrong and the body shop won't know until they tear the door apart. There's a lot of wiring and other components inside that may or may not be damaged, and no one will know until it's thoroughly inspected and tested.

Either way it's going to be FAR more than your deductible. And no, they do not replace the entire door. You cannot just buy a door. They replace the components that are damaged. On a modern car that door skin alone is probably $1200 unpainted before other required parts and labor, and you ain't doing that yourself, not if you don't want your car to look like the Beverly Hillbillies.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 10:09 AM   #5
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by HovPro View Post
Hey Guys, I don't know if it's okay to post stuff like this, still a forum noob, but I had a huge piece of metal fly off a truck and hit my driver door on the freeway. I was unable to get the plates because I was just in shock of what had just happened.
Report this to your insurance as others have advised. It will be expensive. I had something similar happen a few years ago (sheetrock blew out of a pickup and dented my door). In my case, it made a difference to my carrier whether the projectile hit the ground before it hit my car. It is part of how they define "flying debris." It was fully covered since it did not hit the ground first. They will ask if you got the license plate, etc., but it does not affect the coverage, only their ability to offload the claim to another carrier.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 09:25 AM   #6
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
Why are you even considering doing this yourself? Take it to your favorite body shop, give them your insurance, and be done. You have no idea what else is wrong and the body shop won't know until they tear the door apart. There's a lot of wiring and other components inside that may or may not be damaged, and no one will know until it's thoroughly inspected and tested.

Either way it's going to be FAR more than your deductible. And no, they do not replace the entire door. You cannot just buy a door. They replace the components that are damaged. On a modern car that door skin alone is probably $1200 unpainted before other required parts and labor, and you ain't doing that yourself, not if you don't want your car to look like the Beverly Hillbillies.
You can get both the whole door shell or just the door skin from GM parts online. The complete door shell runs about $700-$800 and the door skin runs less than $300.

The problem is, they'll have to blend the paint into the front fender and the rear quarter panel for a proper color match. So, basically nearly one half of the car will have to be repainted.
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 09:50 AM   #7
HovPro

Drives: 18' SS 1LE
Thank you guys for the helpful feedback, I think I’ll have to make a claim. Didn’t consider it because I didn’t want my rates to go up. The piece didn’r hit the ground, it flew from the truck directly to my car. Side note, it make a horrific noise and it was a violent impact, I’m just glad it didnt go through my window
HovPro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1le, blue, door, driver, for sale