Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-28-2017, 02:09 AM   #57
V8RWD

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 50th
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marko View Post
I’m surprised some of you guys dick around with the battery in the trunk when you can just hook up a battery tender to the connections under the hood. Unless, could there be any problems hooking it up that way ??
I park backwards into my garage. The garage only has power outlets in the rear. So for me, it was a decision based on location.

Haven't started the car in month and half now... gotta stop getting lazy and put the tender on.
V8RWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 12:11 PM   #58
MJP

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1LE Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinOpinion View Post
That's a very good point! Luckily, in winter there is less likelihood of surges from storms, but something to be aware of!
I've found the battery tender brand sensitive to electrical storms as well.
I was lucky. I heard a storm was about to hit and decided to make company with a glass of JB, and my three Shepherds out in the garage to watch it roll through.
I'm out on a lake in the woods and the thunder storms here love the water.
It was pretty boring until a bolt came down and just about hit my mailbox at the end of the driveway.
Two minutes later I'm smelling burning wires, plastic etc.
I get up and walk about the garage looking around and sure enough the line going to my Road King battery from the BT was smoking and melting right before my eyes.
I ripped it out as it was traveling up to the battery.
The bike started and runs fine, no damage. The BT was destroyed.
I was lucky I had decided to go sit in the garage during that storm.
Now all my BT's are unplugged for most of thunderstorm season.
MJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 11:48 PM   #59
GroundhogSS

Drives: '17 2SS convertible'20 Yukon Denali
On the Battery Tender Jr. package it says:
"Compatible Battery types
* Lead Acid (Standard)
* AGM
* Gel"
However the output is listed as 12Vdc, not 14, so I'm not sure about the use on the AGM.

Delivered: 08/15/2016

#TeamBeckyD

GroundhogSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 02:53 PM   #60
Hoopster3

Drives: NFM 1SS
I'm reviving an old thread because I'm sure there are several posts on this, but on my phone I'm unable to use the search option, so I found this through a Google search.

I'm getting prepared (early) to get ready for winter. I'm planning on using the front connection for a battery tender. When I removed the cover next to the fuses I see one positive lead and 5 other posts. Of the 5 other posts two of them have grounds connected to them. When connecting my ground should I use a post that has nothing on it or use a ground that already has a ground connected to it?
Hoopster3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 10:53 PM   #61
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
the positive goes to the terminal under the red cap by the fuse box the negative goes to the post in front of the fuse box
Attached Images

real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 09:32 AM   #62
Cheng Chow Wan

Drives: Sinister ZL1
Sometimes these forums are a great resource...

The tender which came with my ZL1, with it's VIN on the label/sticker, clearly states "for lead acid batteries only" throughout the instructions.

My ZL1 has an AGM battery.

I contacted Chevy to inquire, and they said the tender will work fine on the AGM battery. I asked for documentation stating that, but they were unable to provide. Instead, he created a case report documenting my concern, and stating their response, in case I ever have a problem.

Though I suspect the tender will work fine on the AGM battery, I'm disappointed, and will therefore engage the dealer I purchased from. We'll see where that goes...
Old 07-21-2018, 09:36 AM   #63
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
I used to be a dealer for AGM (odyssey) and lead acid batteries and the way AGM'S are made these days is they charge exactly like a lead acid battery. You have no worries, I doubt you'll get any documentation on this but call a couple of the charger companies and talk to their teCH service, they will tell you the same thing .....the difference used to be in how gel batteries charged, and AGM's in their infancy, not so anymore.

From the optima (agm) site:

Both the OPTIMA Chargers Digital 400 and Digital 1200 12V Performance Battery Charger and Maintainer enhance the performance of OPTIMA and other AGM batteries, recover deeply discharged batteries and extend battery life. However, under normal vehicle-starting applications, most regular automatic lead-acid battery chargers will properly charge an OPTIMA battery. However, since OPTIMA batteries are frequently used in high-performance applications or nonstandard vehicle-starting applications, there are certain instances that must be given special considerations.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 11:10 AM   #64
Cheng Chow Wan

Drives: Sinister ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
I used to be a dealer for AGM (odyssey) and lead acid batteries and the way AGM'S are made these days is they charge exactly like a lead acid battery. You have no worries, I doubt you'll get any documentation on this but call a couple of the charger companies and talk to their teCH service, they will tell you the same thing .....the difference used to be in how gel batteries charged, and AGM's in their infancy, not so anymore.

From the optima (agm) site:

Both the OPTIMA Chargers Digital 400 and Digital 1200 12V Performance Battery Charger and Maintainer enhance the performance of OPTIMA and other AGM batteries, recover deeply discharged batteries and extend battery life. However, under normal vehicle-starting applications, most regular automatic lead-acid battery chargers will properly charge an OPTIMA battery. However, since OPTIMA batteries are frequently used in high-performance applications or nonstandard vehicle-starting applications, there are certain instances that must be given special considerations.
Interesting.

Well, Chevy dealer agrees. They say it's good for AGM. Guess I'll trust them and use it...
Old 12-15-2020, 05:33 PM   #65
Dathomas94

Drives: Camaro 2021 ZL1 6 speed ragtop
I read the chain about a trickle charger and the issue of a lightning strike that did 3 k of damage to a gas car. If the car is garaged and started one a week or so and brought up to temp do I even need a trickle charger for the winter...
Dathomas94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 06:16 PM   #66
az4783054

Drives: SWXXZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dathomas94 View Post
I read the chain about a trickle charger and the issue of a lightning strike that did 3 k of damage to a gas car. If the car is garaged and started one a week or so and brought up to temp do I even need a trickle charger for the winter...

Aside from the odds (1:1,000,000?) of your home/garage being struck by lightning, just starting the car and allowing it to idle not only does not charge your battery fully, it also may eventually harm the engine. If your not going to use a maintenance charger, at least drive the vehicle for a few miles to bring the engine up to operating temperature, thoroughly lubricate the drive train and give a decent charge to the battery.

I keep my Battery Tender Plus on a high joules surge protector strip.
Old 02-19-2021, 06:45 PM   #67
Cwells22

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Dead Battery

My battery died I could not start the car. The day lights and side marker lights stayed on and would not go off until the whole battery was drained. I just hooked up a battery tender and the side marker lights are now on. Does anybody know how to get these off? The wipers also came on when it was dying. I am not sure if I have to wait for enough juice to troubleshoot, but all switches are off. I would appreciate any ideas.
Cwells22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 12:27 PM   #68
GroundhogSS

Drives: '17 2SS convertible'20 Yukon Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwells22 View Post
My battery died I could not start the car. The day lights and side marker lights stayed on and would not go off until the whole battery was drained. I just hooked up a battery tender and the side marker lights are now on. Does anybody know how to get these off? The wipers also came on when it was dying. I am not sure if I have to wait for enough juice to troubleshoot, but all switches are off. I would appreciate any ideas.

Sounds like a problem with the headlight switch or maybe in whichever control module that handles a lot of the electrical functions. I'd start with the switch.

Delivered: 08/15/2016

#TeamBeckyD

GroundhogSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 07:17 PM   #69
Racerman27410

Drives: 2016 SS 2SS
Once the battery gets low enough all kinds of crazy things happen until the battery is almost completely flat... one headlight on. parking lights Just nuts.

. disconnect the ground in the truck and charge battery fully before reconnecting it. Makes life a little easier on the computers.
Racerman27410 is offline   Reply With Quote