Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 03-08-2023, 11:24 AM   #15
driftking123

Drives: 2022 SS 1LE
I finished the install and it wasn't that bad. It looks a lot better then the stock setup under there. I'm now setup for when I get headers and install a supercharger. I also started it and test drove it.

1. Sound is more subdued on idle. I cold started it in tour mode by mistake, doh. So it wasn't real loud. I let it idle till normal water temp. I had water coming out by the clamps on both sides of the x-pipe. It did this for a minute or 2 and then stopped. I revved it and didn't see or hear any leaks.

2. I drove it for about 25 minutes and couldn't hear any leaks. The interior seems quieter. The cracks and pops are less, however it was 53 degrees out and that seems normal from what I remember from before with stock exhaust. It also "feels" like it had more power, but again that could be because of the cold temps. And apparently NC is deciding to be cold for the next month, even though it was 74 yesterday. Crazy weather.

I'm glad I did this, because this has helped me decide that I do want long tube headers. So with Speed Engineering having them for 400, I'll be getting those within the year. Plus, I already have the connecting pipes from the x-pipe to the headers. Thanks to their mistake.

I didn't put any sounds clips as I need better weather to compare it to, since I have records from before with warm weather.

Hope this helps anyone l deciding to do this.
driftking123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 02:32 PM   #16
driftking123

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
True but they didn't eliminate the AFM section just the crushed section. If you measure the AFM section is actually the second smallest section of the exhaust next to the entrance on the primary cat pipes. So deleting the crimp section wouldn't gain anything if the section of pipe ahead of it is more restrictive yet.
Hey King, when I started my car with the new exhaust, the water coming out of the x-pipe clamps was black. Any concern about that. BTW, no more leaking so I'm guessing the clamps are holding up and "settled in place". I'm just worried the engine is hurting. The water pump went out at 4k miles and Chevy replaced it. I've recently smelled a "rotting" smell in the garage and the family and I think it was the exhaust. I did have a shop weld on pipes for the second cat delete. Now I don't smell the "rot" smell.

I'd like to hear any thoughts you have on this.
Old 03-08-2023, 09:26 PM   #17
Casper the friendly G
Account Suspended

Drives: 17' Chevy Kamaro SS 6 speed
Quote:
True but they didn't eliminate the AFM section just the crushed section. If you measure the AFM section is actually the second smallest section of the exhaust next to the entrance on the primary cat pipes. So deleting the crimp section wouldn't gain anything if the section of pipe ahead of it is more restrictive yet.

Whats AFM?
Casper the friendly G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 03:28 AM   #18
jaybee924

Drives: R.I.P. 2021 ZL1 & 2019 Rd Garn 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper the friendly G View Post
Whats AFM?
Do you have a manual or auto tranny? If you have a manual you won't have AFM but if you have an Auto it does. It stands for Active fuel Management. It has a second set of NPP actuators in the mid pipe I think before the stock crushed section. But a manual tranny car doesn't have it.
jaybee924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 06:43 AM   #19
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftking123 View Post
Hey King, when I started my car with the new exhaust, the water coming out of the x-pipe clamps was black. Any concern about that. BTW, no more leaking so I'm guessing the clamps are holding up and "settled in place". I'm just worried the engine is hurting. The water pump went out at 4k miles and Chevy replaced it. I've recently smelled a "rotting" smell in the garage and the family and I think it was the exhaust. I did have a shop weld on pipes for the second cat delete. Now I don't smell the "rot" smell.

The smell was your cats they can have an unpleasant smell almost like sulphur or rotten eggs, hard to describe it but its not pleasant. Too there's carbon and other stuff in your pipes, the water is normal and there should be some exit of that water. Mufflers usually have a weep hole to do exactly that. It's common and normal.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 09:52 AM   #20
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftking123 View Post

That is normal...especially with pump gas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper the friendly G View Post
Whats AFM?
A8/A10's have AFM valves in the exhaust that partially close when 4cyl mode activates. M6 cars do not have this feature even though all LT1 engines have AFM/Dod lifters in the engine, but the feature is disabled in the tune on M6 cars. I am assuming on stock cars the AFM valve section isn't that restrictive similar to the crush section, but I would expect there to be gains on modded cars. Especially forced induction being that area necks down to about 2 1/4" not factoring the valve in the pipe. Imo it looks more restrictive than the crush section but nobody had ever really talked about it.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 10:35 PM   #21
FlukeSS

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybee924 View Post
Anyone one tried this Speed Engineering X Pipe? I know it was talks about something like this a long while back.

https://speed-engineering.com/collec...16-6-2l-engine
If it matters I have it on my car. Stock Axle-back though.
2020 Camaro 2SS A10 | Rebuilt by: CBI Street Cars | 2" SE LT Headers | 3" SE X-Pipe | 3" MBRP Axle-Back | Pri & Sec Cat Deletes | K&N Typhoon CAI | LT2 Ported | 95mm ZR1 TB | DOD Delete | BTR Stage I Cam | ECM, TCM & E85 |Tuned by: Shane Hinds | Dyno: 510 rwhp 472 rwtq
FlukeSS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 09:09 AM   #22
driftking123

Quote:
That is normal...especially with pump gas.

A8/A10's have AFM valves in the exhaust that partially close when 4cyl mode activates. M6 cars do not have this feature even though all LT1 engines have AFM/Dod lifters in the engine, but the feature is disabled in the tune on M6 cars. I am assuming on stock cars the AFM valve section isn't that restrictive similar to the crush section, but I would expect there to be gains on modded cars. Especially forced induction being that area necks down to about 2 1/4" not factoring the valve in the pipe. Imo it looks more restrictive than the crush section but nobody had ever really talked about it.
Thanks for the response. Ever since my water pump failed at 4k miles, I'm waiting for something else to fail on this engine. So every little thing has me a little paranoid. Especially when I'm changing things to the car.
Old 03-10-2023, 09:46 AM   #23
Casper the friendly G
Account Suspended

Drives: 17' Chevy Kamaro SS 6 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybee924 View Post
Do you have a manual or auto tranny? If you have a manual you won't have AFM but if you have an Auto it does. It stands for Active fuel Management. It has a second set of NPP actuators in the mid pipe I think before the stock crushed section. But a manual tranny car doesn't have it.

Mine is manual. Yeh...I thought that was what AFM was but didn't know it had anything to do with the exhaust.
Casper the friendly G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 01:55 PM   #24
greenz28

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS M6, Ford Fiesta ST
I'm interested to know how the sound of this Speed Engineering x pipe (that deletes the secondary cats) compares to the stock x pipe (that has secondary cats).

driftking123: You compared the sound of it to a modified factory x pipe that had the secondary cats already removed. So in this case, we're really just comparing the pipes themselves since both had no secondary cats. Correct?

FlukeSS: When you installed yours were you replacing the factory x pipe that included the secondary cats? If so, how does it sound? Are you happy with it? How much louder? Or is it actually quieter?
greenz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 04:37 PM   #25
FlukeSS

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenz28 View Post
I'm interested to know how the sound of this Speed Engineering x pipe (that deletes the secondary cats) compares to the stock x pipe (that has secondary cats).

FlukeSS: When you installed yours were you replacing the factory x pipe that included the secondary cats? If so, how does it sound? Are you happy with it? How much louder? Or is it actually quieter?
The LT headers removed the primary cats, SE 3" X-Pipe replaced factory x-pipe which removes the secondary, and welded into the stock axle-back. That said, I will be getting MBRP Axle-Back with resonator soon. Get rid of that suitcase weight.

The sound, I have a video of it. Warm and Cold starts.

Cold Start Parking Garage

Warm Start after exhaust installed

Outside the car and inside the car sound at dragstrip

2020 Camaro 2SS A10 | Rebuilt by: CBI Street Cars | 2" SE LT Headers | 3" SE X-Pipe | 3" MBRP Axle-Back | Pri & Sec Cat Deletes | K&N Typhoon CAI | LT2 Ported | 95mm ZR1 TB | DOD Delete | BTR Stage I Cam | ECM, TCM & E85 |Tuned by: Shane Hinds | Dyno: 510 rwhp 472 rwtq

Last edited by FlukeSS; 03-10-2023 at 04:47 PM.
FlukeSS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 06:03 AM   #26
greenz28

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS M6, Ford Fiesta ST
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlukeSS View Post
If it matters I have it on my car. Stock Axle-back though.

OK got it now. I didn't look at your signature to see you have long tubes, only at the link. Speed Engineering offers both styles of X-pipes, 1 for factory manifolds (as was originally posted) and 1 for long tube headers.

It's tempting to buy these factory manifold style pipes from Speed Engineering. I already have an axleback that I haven't installed. It's fun to think about buying the Speed Engineering x-pipe to go with it, then no cutting on factory exhaust. If I ever got tired of it, then could just switch back to factory easier. I think this is the first time in a long time that an x-pipe like this has been offered. Maybe companies got scared to delete the secondary cats so that's why they quit offering. Last time I looked, all the other x-pipes designed to work with factory manifolds require cutting behind the secondary cats. These new Speed Engineering x-pipes are good news!

If I order, I'm going to ask them why they have one listed for our cars and one for the Cadillac CTS-V under the same part number (SKU: 25-1064), except ours is $20 cheaper.

Camaro

https://speed-engineering.com/produc...16-6-2l-engine

CTS-V
https://speed-engineering.com/produc...19-6-2l-engine
greenz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 02:05 PM   #27
driftking123

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenz28 View Post

driftking123: You compared the sound of it to a modified factory x pipe that had the secondary cats already removed. So in this case, we're really just comparing the pipes themselves since both had no secondary cats. Correct?

Greenz28, yes it's the pipes. Now that I've put more miles on these pipes, they sound better. They are quieter at idle and start up, however are louder when on the gas. I also just added a ported TB and I'm definitely feeling more power. So I definitely recommend these pipes. They are better then just cutting of the second cat and welding pipes in place. Sound and power are much better.
Old 03-19-2023, 05:02 PM   #28
driftking123

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlukeSS View Post
The LT headers removed the primary cats, SE 3" X-Pipe replaced factory x-pipe which removes the secondary, and welded into the stock axle-back. That said, I will be getting MBRP Axle-Back with resonator soon. Get rid of that suitcase weight.

The sound, I have a video of it. Warm and Cold starts.

Cold Start Parking Garage

Warm Start after exhaust installed

Outside the car and inside the car sound at dragstrip

Sounds great. This is my setup and a sound clip(cold start), but my phone camera's mic got blasted, so the revs don't sound good.
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: zip 3-19-23-Candy exhaust.zip (3.72 MB, 55 views)