Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

AWE Tuning

Old 03-05-2020, 12:57 PM   #1
teddyca

Drives: Blown C7 and 6th gen
I must say NON MRC SUCKS!!!! Any affordable solutions

O.K. Lets start off by saying this is my personal preference. I have had 2 identical 2017 SS cars both with Eibach springs. The MRC car which was totaled drove like a nice sports car and honestly ride quality was not affected much if at all. My current non MRC car (12K mikes) rides like complete dogchit. Its been bouncy and rough since the day I lowered. Wife is forcing me to drive from Norcal to Socal and wont take the SS because she hates the ride. I did the alignment hoping it would help and nothing. I know there are some expensive solutions but I am looking to just replace the shocks with say a Koni, Bilstein, etc... This is a commuter not a track car. Just curious if anyone took off the factory shocks with a inexpensive replacement with good success? And lets get this out of the way:

Yes I know its lowered
Yes I know CA roads suck
Yes I know $1000K will get me a better alternative

I am also open to ditching Eibach for a new brand but I don't really think that will matter as my last car was perfect on Eibachs. I would just love to here some of you lowered guys experiences. Hell perhaps in the first 4K miles before me maybe the car was a track monster and shocks are destroyed lol

17 Camaro 2SS 50th edition. TOTALED 6/2019
K&N Intake, MRBP axleback, Eibach kit, 20" Z28 wheels, smoked lights all the way around, Rockford Fosgate system

17 Camaro 2SS 50th edition. Round 2- 8/2019 550/600 RWHP, Magnuson TVS2300, Rotofab Intake, Corsa Xtreme, Air Lift P3 System, 20" Stance SF-07, smoked lights all the way around, Rockford Fosgate system.
teddyca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 03:44 PM   #2
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
There's a reason GM doesn't sell their lowering kit without shocks to match it. SS lowering kit (springs/shocks-84188726) + handling kit (swaybars/front links-84242386)

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=542333

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 03:45 PM   #3
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Also, FYI: I did reach out to Koni and it seems they were considering to develop a shock for the 6th gen, but the project appears to have stalled out.

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 07:28 AM   #4
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
I know it's not what you want to hear and I hate when everyone preaches stock is best, BUT in this situation where you specifically state the car is a commuter you shouldn't have lowered it. Yeah I get you are going for looks, but there is no free lunch. Get some higher sidewall tires to fill that stock wheel gap if that is what bothers you. That will also improve ride quality. Or trade in again for one with MRC.
TheRealJA105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 11:24 AM   #5
teddyca

LOL That's a great read. Oh trust me I know my tires don't help AT ALL I run 305/25-20 in the rear. This car will never ride like a Cadillac but my slammed C7 and even worse Maxima on Eibachs ride like a dream compared to this Camaro. At this point I am wondering if the shocks really are blown. Hell I have my MRC shocks from my old car still I could use them without connecting if I wanted but that might make it worse lol. I think I am going to start with a different shock and if it doesn't help, perhaps try a different spring. Everyone seems to be happy with BMR.
Old 03-06-2020, 12:34 PM   #6
AND0

Drives: C5 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyca View Post
LOL That's a great read. Oh trust me I know my tires don't help AT ALL I run 305/25-20 in the rear. This car will never ride like a Cadillac but my slammed C7 and even worse Maxima on Eibachs ride like a dream compared to this Camaro. At this point I am wondering if the shocks really are blown. Hell I have my MRC shocks from my old car still I could use them without connecting if I wanted but that might make it worse lol. I think I am going to start with a different shock and if it doesn't help, perhaps try a different spring. Everyone seems to be happy with BMR.

If you have the old Mag rid shocks......
I wonder if you could run the DSC Sport controller??
AND0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 09:36 PM   #7
teddyca

Quote:
Originally Posted by AND0 View Post
If you have the old Mag rid shocks......
I wonder if you could run the DSC Sport controller??
That is a very good question. Shit I never thought about that. If I installed unfortunately I have nothing going directly to them for communication with the controller. I doubt that will work. I do love the outside thinking though that would be cool as chit.

17 Camaro 2SS 50th edition. TOTALED 6/2019
K&N Intake, MRBP axleback, Eibach kit, 20" Z28 wheels, smoked lights all the way around, Rockford Fosgate system

17 Camaro 2SS 50th edition. Round 2- 8/2019 550/600 RWHP, Magnuson TVS2300, Rotofab Intake, Corsa Xtreme, Air Lift P3 System, 20" Stance SF-07, smoked lights all the way around, Rockford Fosgate system.
Old 03-09-2020, 01:54 PM   #8
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
other than baller stuff like dsc and mcs and jrz dont waste your time

koni and bilstein still say they are working on stuff but i dont believe them

i am running powell raceshop custom bilstein shocks and yyz springs made to fit best budget option out there soon!
Old 03-10-2020, 06:19 AM   #9
That1guy_tim

Drives: Camaro 1ss
Fortune Auto makes some nice coilovers and will build to your needs just have to give them a call. or they have a forum to fill out on their website
That1guy_tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 11:07 AM   #10
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by That1guy_tim View Post
Fortune Auto makes some nice coilovers and will build to your needs just have to give them a call. or they have a forum to fill out on their website

i talked to them at sema they dont have anything either but they do have ats v ones also talked to moton also!
Old 03-10-2020, 01:43 PM   #11
EMTNLSS

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
I commented on one of Fortune Auto's Facebook posts about wanting there coilovers for the 6th gen Camaro and they said it's on there list. So take that however you want.

Current Mods: Catch Can | aFe Lowering Springs | GM 2nd Gen Splitter | Hotchkis Sway Bars | MRR FS02 Wheels | Flowmaster Exhaust | Dark Tail Lights | Diode Dynamics Sidemarkers | Roto Fab | Solar TB | PRAY Ported IM | BMR | PRAY Tune

Upcoming Mods:
EMTNLSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 08:12 PM   #12
soloknight6
SoCal HT5! SD

Drives: 2016 red hot 2ss M6
I was in a similar situation with my car. I do long drives between sd and la frequently. For comfort and protection from the shitty roads down here, I went with stock 2015 SS tire sizes. Granted my car isnt lowered, and it's a bit slower to accelerate, but that extra inch of tire makes a huge difference in daily comfort, and I dont have to worry about running into parking blocks with the extra ground clearance.

The extra rubber on the sidewalls really gets rid of the wheel gap, and they dont rub at all. Stock ss wheels, stock suspension, no spacers.
Old 03-10-2020, 10:56 PM   #13
Start The Machine

Drives: 2016 M6 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
other than baller stuff like dsc and mcs and jrz dont waste your time

koni and bilstein still say they are working on stuff but i dont believe them

i am running powell raceshop custom bilstein shocks and yyz springs made to fit best budget option out there soon!
Bilstein makes complete kits for our cars.

https://www.bilstein.com/us/en/produ...97397462963191

https://www.shockwarehouse.com/index...2C+IROC%2C+etc)
RS Package, HD Cooling Package, Brembo 6 Piston Front Brakes, SRP Racing Pedals, Soler Performance Throttle Controller, Dyno Tuned by Trifecta, Velossa Tech Ram Air, Mishimoto Intake, aFe Air Filter, Mishimoto Charge Pipes, ZZP 67mm Throttle Body, Trifecta T40 Stage 2 Turbo, JacFab Recirculation Valve, PTP Turbo Blanket, ZZP Catted Downpipe, Mishimoto Pro Cat-Back Quad Tip Exhaust, Mishimoto Catch Cans, Mishimoto Coolant Reservoir Tank, GM SEMA Grill, Ikon Motorsports Front Fascia Extension, Ikon Motorsports 1LE Spoiler, American Authority ZL1 Side Skirts, AMPP Quad Tip Rear Valance
Start The Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 08:05 AM   #14
That1guy_tim

Drives: Camaro 1ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
i talked to them at sema they dont have anything either but they do have ats v ones also talked to moton also!
I'm really surprised they don't offer something for the 6th gen since they have something for the ATS-V. It's essentially the same car underneath.
That1guy_tim is offline   Reply With Quote