Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-28-2017, 04:31 PM   #29
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
I never drag my brakes. I am also used to large pads as in AP Racing BBK with Ferodo race pads.
ST43s carved deep channels in my rotors BTW.
So everything is not as peachy as it seems. Maybe I got crap batch? No idea.
As far as some guy posting that he found "secret sauce" and everything else faded in 10mins or ate his rotors in 2 days: well...no comments.
As far a racer recommending pads for a car he never drove: he actually made some good choices, but I'd argue they would make poor DUAL purpose pads. Anyhow, appreciate all the input and thoughts. Bottom line for me a grand in a hole is to much to pay for such an "experiment". Will try DTC60 then stick with what I know/like. Happy motoring!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 06:29 PM   #30
slick3

Drives: Garnet Red - 20 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshsram View Post
XP10 vs XP12 on the 1LE is probably fairly meaningless since it's such a heavy and powerful car with a lot of mechanical grip- If I were going to try Carbotech/G-Loc I'd go straight to XP20 or XP24. I'm sure XP10 or 12 might "work" but those compounds vaporize when they run at or above the upper end of their operating temp range and I can basically guarantee you'd kill a set of pads in a day or two lol.
I ran some Gloc R12/r10s and they have great wear after 100 minutes at Willow springs thus far.
slick3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 07:01 PM   #31
Marshsram

Drives: 6mt
Quote:
Originally Posted by slick3 View Post
I ran some Gloc R12/r10s and they have great wear after 100 minutes at Willow springs thus far.
Big willow isn't particularly hard on brakes but that's beside the point. I know they are capable of lasting a while if the temps are kept in check, I had just originally though that if he cooked ST43s that he was going to see temps that would be more than what CT/G-loc 10s or 12s would like and thats what I was trying to warn against. All pad compounds see higher wear rates when run at the upper ends of their temp range but the Carbotech/G-loc compounds are some of the worst offenders.
Marshsram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 08:50 PM   #32
seanblurr

Drives: ZL1 1LE
I'd guess if you are cooking the ST43's you'll cook an XP12 as well. I would warn against their use and go right to an XP16 or something of that nature. I've actually experienced very similar, if not slightly worse fade with a G-Loc 12 (XP12) compared to the stock pads. This car is heavy and if driven hard, on tracks that are hard on brakes, will run through most commonly used 'race' pads with ease.
Old 08-28-2017, 10:41 PM   #33
meyouand987.2

Drives: 2011 Cayman R 2017 1LE
All of this is why I now leave the 1LE at home on track days, was fun the first 4-5 days now it's just a brake eater (among other issues). It is sad that it is MUCH cheaper to track the Porsche than the Camaro. I am actually on the fence about selling it already (3500 miles) because of this.
meyouand987.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 10:45 PM   #34
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanblurr View Post
I'd guess if you are cooking the ST43's you'll cook an XP12 as well. I would warn against their use and go right to an XP16 or something of that nature. I've actually experienced very similar, if not slightly worse fade with a G-Loc 12 (XP12) compared to the stock pads. This car is heavy and if driven hard, on tracks that are hard on brakes, will run through most commonly used 'race' pads with ease.
Sean, frankly this is what really surprised me as I ran XP10s with zero fade and they lasted 5+ days.
I've also run stock pads at that track with no issues in higher ambient temps on a way to a new PB. All with the same "driving style"...
Old 08-28-2017, 10:49 PM   #35
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by meyouand987.2 View Post
All of this is why I now leave the 1LE at home on track days, was fun the first 4-5 days now it's just a brake eater (among other issues). It is sad that it is MUCH cheaper to track the Porsche than the Camaro. I am actually on the fence about selling it already (3500 miles) because of this.
You have a Pcar and you worry about cost of Camaro brake pads?
Old 08-28-2017, 10:55 PM   #36
meyouand987.2

Trackclub Carbotech life is very dependent on the bedding procedure. You have to get the rotors glowing orange and let it sit overnight. I have used the carbos, st43, gloc (same as carbo for most part) and crappy dct's. Carbo's were best by far, but now that I am really comfortable in the car, they go fast and I can boil the SRF (at Laguna) too, which never happened in the 14 1LE with zl1 brakes. The brakes are by far the weakest link on this car at the track.
Old 08-28-2017, 10:56 PM   #37
meyouand987.2

The Pcar was cheaper than the Camaro! It's also went up 20K in value too!
Old 08-29-2017, 08:43 AM   #38
seanblurr

Drives: ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by meyouand987.2 View Post
What did you expect when you bought a 3700lbs V8 track/street car? Consumables (gas, brakes, tires) would heavily increase... What other issues are you having?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Sean, frankly this is what really surprised me as I ran XP10s with zero fade and they lasted 5+ days.
I've also run stock pads at that track with no issues in higher ambient temps on a way to a new PB. All with the same "driving style"...
Perhaps it's the nature of the track. Stock pads and the 12's were mostly OK at Sonoma/Thunderhill. I don't believe driving 'style' has much to do with it, as there arent many ways to drive Laguna fast. Driving 'speed' certainly plays a factor, though. You can imagine what a 130mph to 40mph full lock braking zone every 1:40 with no straights for cooling and other hard braking zones can do. Not many people are going into turn one, and then two, flat out until the braking markers. Most will lift and coast in, but that's not the fast way
Old 08-29-2017, 09:33 AM   #39
TrackClub

Perhaps it's the nature of the track. Stock pads and the 12's were mostly OK at Sonoma/Thunderhill. I don't believe driving 'style' has much to do with it, as there arent many ways to drive Laguna fast. Driving 'speed' certainly plays a factor, though. You can imagine what a 130mph to 40mph full lock braking zone every 1:40 with no straights for cooling and other hard braking zones can do. Not many people are going into turn one, and then two, flat out until the braking markers. Most will lift and coast in, but that's not the fast way [/QUOTE]

Couldn't agree more and I too believe the driving style has little to do with what I've experienced.
If one drives "momentum" tracks only then frankly any pad will feel like a hero. Going back to ST43 its stats pale in comparison to say ST47 regarding fade capabilities. And it seems to have temp rating of an xp8 or so. Perhaps that's why I cooked them in a single short session. What surprises me is that stockers did well on the same track which I've driven many many times and frankly if one wants to be fast there - there aren't many options as to how to brake except for late and hard and trailing them into apexes for best rotation. I actually getting new stockers back on (the only pad I can get fast without border crossing) and will go back to that venue again just to prove (to myself) this wasn't a fluke.
Old 08-29-2017, 01:46 PM   #40
JRL1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
[QUOTE=seanblurr;9885498]What did you expect when you bought a 3700lbs V8 track/street car? Consumables (gas, brakes, tires) would heavily increase... What other issues are you having?
/QUOTE]

+1, these are heavy cars putting down fast times, consumption is always an issue.

My stock brakes with Motul 600 have been good, no problems, I have run at Laguna, too which is very hard on brakes, the stock pads are fine and I'm pushing it.

The 6th Gen 1LE brakes are much better than my 2015 1LE brakes which would get a spongy pedal and a little fade. I tried ST45's on the 2015 and it was an on/off switch, went back to stock pad.

The thing I love most about these cars is, go the track, tear it up, put it back in the garage with huge

TrackClub, I loved ST43's on my 03 Z06, it will be interesting to see when you go back to stock pads. Issue may be something else.
JRL1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 01:52 PM   #41
TrackClub

JRL, I should know this Friday as I am planning on going back there. I ran my first 3 days with the car there on stock pads each day besting my previous PB. So if I do get fade it will be "very interesting" indeed
Old 08-29-2017, 02:47 PM   #42
glamcem

Drives: '19 RivrsdBlu 1LE ('17 1LE HB sold)
[QUOTE=JRL1LE;9885927]
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanblurr View Post
What did you expect when you bought a 3700lbs V8 track/street car? Consumables (gas, brakes, tires) would heavily increase... What other issues are you having?
/QUOTE]

+1, these are heavy cars putting down fast times, consumption is always an issue.

My stock brakes with Motul 600 have been good, no problems, I have run at Laguna, too which is very hard on brakes, the stock pads are fine and I'm pushing it.

The 6th Gen 1LE brakes are much better than my 2015 1LE brakes which would get a spongy pedal and a little fade. I tried ST45's on the 2015 and it was an on/off switch, went back to stock pad.

The thing I love most about these cars is, go the track, tear it up, put it back in the garage with huge

TrackClub, I loved ST43's on my 03 Z06, it will be interesting to see when you go back to stock pads. Issue may be something else.
+2
Consumables are not too bad considering the size and the performance of this car. Especially with the ever lasting ST43s or ST47/45 combo and better rotor life since they're not harsh on the rotors as X25 mentioned (especially with the cheaper DBA T3 5000 rotors that I have been using with the OEM hats for a while)

The tire life is also not too bad but the size should have to do that in my case since it takes much more effort to overheat the wider tires (305/325s).I found my 325/30/19s dirt cheap and saw some extremely cheap 18" track tires so it's definitely a good idea to shop around.

It's not a Miata when it comes to consumables of course but dollar for performance, 1LE wins.. I mean it's undeniably cheap compared all the other track-able cars all things considered. Yes, the variable costs/consumables might sound a bit more compared to lighter cars (especially in stock form) but total operating cost should also be considered IMO. Such as having a much expensive car to begin with (or very expensive track insurance ), no track warranty and possibility of losing a $20-30K engine (P cars), parts and labor costs should also be considered as well.

I should also mentioned that the most of those lighter cars ike a Cayman/Boxster are not track ready. In stock form like a 1LE or (better yet ZL1 1LE) unless you opt for the GT4, GT3 or other track variants which are 2-3 times more expensive . Making them track ready will also add up the costs and my time, effort which I also consider as a cost. And even after all that additional cost and effort (getting track cooling mods, seats, wheels,tires, pads..etc) it will still be questionable to match or surpass 1LE's track performance despite the additional cost of tires (my ST43s after 7 track events looked almost as good as new, I ended up selling them to a friend to try ST47/ST45s)
glamcem is offline   Reply With Quote