Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

AWE Tuning

Old 03-26-2018, 05:07 PM   #169
baron95
2018 1LE, NASA Instructor

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by locktyght View Post
Edit: I see you are a NASA instructor, therefore you may be able to outdrive them.
I see remarks like this often.

It seems that many people think that beating the equipment (brakes, tires, engine oil temp) past the limits is a sign of being fast or good.

I have the opposite perspective. Being a good driver means caring for and staying within the limits of the equipment. E.g. my C7 Z51 which had serious transmission overheating issues, I viewed my job as finding the max RPM shift points, etc that would cause the overheating to show its ugly head at the very end of a session, as the checkered drops. Did I wish I could push harder for the entire session? Sure.Was I disappointed that heat was building up with every lap? Sure. But I took managing it as just another challenge/leaning experience. When the overheat messaged popped up with the checkered flag in sight - that was an HPDE win for me

My HPDE goal is to safely have the maximum amount of fun, improve my driving the most, while spending it as little as possible. If a brake pad lowers brake consumables in 1/2 while simply needing a little bit of management, I'm going with that. And I will never say "that pad is junk, I cooked in 20 min".

So, thanks for your feedback. If it works well at an intermediate pace, it should work well for any advanced driver/instructor that is willing to manage the equipment.
baron95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 05:23 PM   #170
JRL1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbar View Post
I’m trying the ST45 with 1LE calipers in 2 weeks. Will report back.
I tried ST45's on my 2015 SS 1LE, they were like an on/off switch YMMV
JRL1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 05:56 PM   #171
carguy55

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
some the guys running their ZL1 1LEs at COTA were using Cobalt Friction XR1 pads and they are not cheap

http://www.cobaltfriction.com/Articles.asp?ID=252
carguy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 07:05 PM   #172
mbar

Drives: 2016 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRL1LE View Post
I tried ST45's on my 2015 SS 1LE, they were like an on/off switch YMMV
YMMV?
Which pads do you use these days?
Old 03-26-2018, 07:38 PM   #173
JRL1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbar View Post
YMMV?
Which pads do you use these days?
I used the St45's on all 4 corners on my 2015 SS 1LE w/ 4 piston brembos, I thought I big, heavy car needed more pad to help it stop, but no, way too much bite, I ran one day and changed back to stock.
Could be different on 6th Gen SS 1LE.
I use stock pads on my 2017 SS 1LE, I like them, I drive it hard and they hold up. I ran at Laguna Seca which is really hard on brakes, no issues. Some prefer more bite of course.
If trying some thing else , I would go with ST43's which worked well on my C5Z06. Just my experiences.
JRL1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 07:40 PM   #174
cab33

Drives: Viper
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post

As far as pad/tire/etc matching - I am after a DUAL use pad (track with some street). Provoste uses DTC60 for street tires/slicks and some DD. I've used other pads for the same purpose before. No need to make this a very complex subject as this ain't Formula 1 or IMSA

Happy tracking!
From personal experience, if you use DTC60s on the street they will kill your rotors in a few thousand miles.
cab33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 07:46 PM   #175
Provoste

Drives: E46 S54 race car, 964C2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cab33 View Post
From personal experience, if you use DTC60s on the street they will kill your rotors in a few thousand miles.
I replace rotors 1-2 times per year. I run 20-30 days per year on track, it’s more efficient for me to not switch out pads after each event, DTC60’s aren’t bad on the street noise wise, and they’re terrific on track... a great compromise for me. If I ran 6-10 days a season on track, I’d either just use OE pads or swap them out for events. I can’t speak to DTC 60’s life on road, I replace rotors based on heat cracking.
Provoste is offline   Reply With Quote