#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Phastek Performance

Old 02-27-2017, 09:19 AM   #29
DFW1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE Mosiac Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradfordCamaro View Post
Just wait until the Mustang guys get wind of the 1LEs grenading on the track..... Lol
It has nothing to do with a 1LE, its the engine that had a problem. A single incident is certainly nothing that should be extrapolated to be a wide scale problem. Look how many LT1 vettes and camaro's run track days and autox without incident.
DFW1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 09:21 AM   #30
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage View Post
Guys, all good questions. I will stress, dealer serviced 100% with their knowledge I was taking it directly to track this weekend and spoke at length with Service Advisor about same as they service Corvettes and Camaros that are tracked ....
So sorry to hear about this.

Generally speaking, this engine's BMEP is nothing special, in the 180 psi range; the force on the rods and bearings isn't anything to write home about. Certainly the engine is never stressed like any of the tuned small turbo engines out there. So this isn't a story of "the engine can't handle the torque it's making".

I'm willing to bet this is a rare assembly or part failure. It happens, it just shouldn't happen very often. Best of luck the dealer and GM are quick and tidy with the engine replacement.

When you get the PDR SD card out of your car, let us know what the oil pressure and all the temps were. That would be interesting to see.
Old 02-27-2017, 09:47 AM   #31
COmaro

Drives: Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by meyouand987.2 View Post
Man this sucks, I hope the dealer steps up! So on my 2015, TWICE the dealer only put in 5 qts....TWICE! Always check it before you roll out of there.
It isn't just Chevy dealers, BTW. I had the oil changed on my Boss 302 at a Ford dealer three times, and EVERY time they shorted it by a quart, one time they also put the wrong weight oil in. The third time I took it in, I handed the service advisor monkey the Boss 302 supplement that showed 8.5 quarts of 5w50, and they STILL only put in 7.5, and they put in 0W20!. The guy had the gall to tell me that they could only put in what the "computer" said, and it said to put 7.5 quarts of 0W20 in a 5.0. THE OIL FILLER CAP ON THE ENGINE SAYS 5W50 ON IT.
COmaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 10:12 AM   #32
COmaro

Drives: Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW1LE View Post
It has nothing to do with a 1LE, its the engine that had a problem. A single incident is certainly nothing that should be extrapolated to be a wide scale problem. Look how many LT1 vettes and camaro's run track days and autox without incident.
I'll just jump in here with an observation. 99% of autox courses do not stress a car like a road course. Autox speeds are lower, you almost never have a really high speed sustained curve, you don't have the braking or cornering forces you find on most road courses. Road courses are a whole different level of car abuse, which is why manufacturers have had to start really upping their game with better oiling, cooling, and braking.

As an example, High Plains Raceway near Denver has two long uphill right handers. You are in those turns for 5-10 seconds depending on your car. I can't tell you how many cars I've seen blow out there. You really need to be on top of your oil levels. If your car is prone to starvation in a right hander, you'll find out at High Plains.

High Plains also has a long straight that terminates in a tight chicane. A 1LE would be hitting about 125MPH at the end of that straight. You will find out very fast if your brakes suck out there.

I would have no fear running a 1LE at an autox without doing all the track prep things recommended by GM, but for a road course, I would definitely do everything.
COmaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 10:21 AM   #33
DFW1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE Mosiac Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by COmaro View Post
I'll just jump in here with an observation. 99% of autox courses do not stress a car like a road course. Autox speeds are lower, you almost never have a really high speed sustained curve, you don't have the braking or cornering forces you find on most road courses. Road courses are a whole different level of car abuse, which is why manufacturers have had to start really upping their game with better oiling, cooling, and braking.

As an example, High Plains Raceway near Denver has two long uphill right handers. You are in those turns for 5-10 seconds depending on your car. I can't tell you how many cars I've seen blow out there. You really need to be on top of your oil levels. If your car is prone to starvation in a right hander, you'll find out at High Plains.

High Plains also has a long straight that terminates in a tight chicane. A 1LE would be hitting about 125MPH at the end of that straight. You will find out very fast if your brakes suck out there.

I would have no fear running a 1LE at an autox without doing all the track prep things recommended by GM, but for a road course, I would definitely do everything.
Yes, I know that and just mentioned autox as there is a lot of folks doing that and many times, you get more runs in, while on a track maybe only a few sessions. Nevertheless, I am a track guy and do not autox.
DFW1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 11:33 AM   #34
AZ_1LE

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
Yikes, that's not good.. I hope they take care of it for you.

FWIW, I believe the supplemental manual that came with my car recommends 15w-50 dexos2 for track days. Thick oil, but it makes a big difference when temperature get above "normal."
AZ_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 11:42 AM   #35
WhyUMad1LE

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by COmaro View Post
It isn't just Chevy dealers, BTW. I had the oil changed on my Boss 302 at a Ford dealer three times, and EVERY time they shorted it by a quart, one time they also put the wrong weight oil in. The third time I took it in, I handed the service advisor monkey the Boss 302 supplement that showed 8.5 quarts of 5w50, and they STILL only put in 7.5, and they put in 0W20!. The guy had the gall to tell me that they could only put in what the "computer" said, and it said to put 7.5 quarts of 0W20 in a 5.0. THE OIL FILLER CAP ON THE ENGINE SAYS 5W50 ON IT.
Too many chumps at the dealerships. I either do the work myself or go to an independent mechanic who doesn't mind me walking into the shop.
WhyUMad1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 01:39 PM   #36
Extreme Dimensions

Drives: 2016 1ss Camaro
hope they take care of you! it was bone stock right?
1-714-278-8000 EXT 17
andrew.bettridge@extremedimensions.com
Extreme Dimensions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 02:05 PM   #37
7stringtheory

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS 1LE
I feel for you man, and I hope that this gets taken care of for you. In the future though, I would I advise that you take an extra step of control over the work thats done on your car by the dealer. I have a 2017 1SS 1LE and I carefully read the track prep guidelines in the performance supplement where it EXPLICITLY states to change the oil to 15w50 to track use and then back to 5w30 for DD or to change to a 0w40 or 5w40 for both track and DD usage.

When I finished my engine break in, I was looking to get all my track prep work done at the dealer, and I called SEVERAL dealers who had absolutely no clue what I was talking about when I said I wanted the GM recommended 5w40 oil change.

The conversation went like this
Me: I would like to get my camaro prepped for the track as per the guidelines in the GM HP supplement manual.
Them: OK
Me: So that means that I need a 10 quart oil change to 5w40, correct?
Them: Ummm?
Me: It says I need a dexos 2 5w40 oil for track use
Them: Ummm.... We have Mobil 1?
Me: What weight is your Mobil 1?
Them: Ummm..... We have Mobil 1?
Me: Ok thanks for your time

Then I crossed that dealer off the list. Finally talked to a dealer that said he was familiar with this procedure, they didnt carry the oil and that the customers he had that had track prepped their car brought in their own oil. Then he CALLED ONE OF HIS CUSTOMERS and asked them personally where they got their oil. Turns out that guy was using 15w50 and going back each track day, which Im not trying to do. (2 10 qt oil changes for every track day) Even though this dealer was 35 miles away from my house, this is my new dealer for service.

So I spent some time, did some research, and sourced a readily available dexos 2 5w40. (Valvoline Synpower MST 5w40 at Napa for those that are wondering) I brought my own oil, saved the receipts for purchase of the oil with my service receipts, and got my car prepped properly for the track.

I'm not saying its your fault, because GM has really dropped the ball on adequately ensuring their dealers are able to properly service these "track" cars, but I'm saying if you take a little extra initiative and care you can preclude the issue from happening in most cases.
7stringtheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 02:18 PM   #38
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7stringtheory View Post
I feel for you man, and I hope that this gets taken care of for you. In the future though, I would I advise that you take an extra step of control over the work thats done on your car by the dealer. I have a 2017 1SS 1LE and I carefully read the track prep guidelines in the performance supplement where it EXPLICITLY states to change the oil to 15w50 to track use and then back to 5w30 for DD or to change to a 0w40 or 5w40 for both track and DD usage.

When I finished my engine break in, I was looking to get all my track prep work done at the dealer, and I called SEVERAL dealers who had absolutely no clue what I was talking about when I said I wanted the GM recommended 5w40 oil change.

The conversation went like this
Me: I would like to get my camaro prepped for the track as per the guidelines in the GM HP supplement manual.
Them: OK
Me: So that means that I need a 10 quart oil change to 5w40, correct?
Them: Ummm?
Me: It says I need a dexos 2 5w40 oil for track use
Them: Ummm.... We have Mobil 1?
Me: What weight is your Mobil 1?
Them: Ummm..... We have Mobil 1?
Me: Ok thanks for your time

Then I crossed that dealer off the list. Finally talked to a dealer that said he was familiar with this procedure, they didnt carry the oil and that the customers he had that had track prepped their car brought in their own oil. Then he CALLED ONE OF HIS CUSTOMERS and asked them personally where they got their oil. Turns out that guy was using 15w50 and going back each track day, which Im not trying to do. (2 10 qt oil changes for every track day) Even though this dealer was 35 miles away from my house, this is my new dealer for service.

So I spent some time, did some research, and sourced a readily available dexos 2 5w40. (Valvoline Synpower MST 5w40 at Napa for those that are wondering) I brought my own oil, saved the receipts for purchase of the oil with my service receipts, and got my car prepped properly for the track.

I'm not saying its your fault, because GM has really dropped the ball on adequately ensuring their dealers are able to properly service these "track" cars, but I'm saying if you take a little extra initiative and care you can preclude the issue from happening in most cases.
All good info but I'm going to be honest, if this car grenaded like it sounds like it did in the 2nd session of the day, it doesn't sound like the incorrect oil weight was used. It sounds like something worse that would have happened regardless of oil weight.
Eric SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 02:29 PM   #39
13vertss

Drives: 2013 Camaro convertible 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradfordCamaro View Post
Just wait until the Mustang guys get wind of the 1LEs grenading on the track..... Lol
There the last ones to try and bring up this as a issue. Just look at how many GT350 engines that have grenade and that is only on that forum.
13vertss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 02:30 PM   #40
Hard Parker
OMWTFYB

Drives: ZL1
One failure lol

Hard to compare to GT350s oil issues happening OFF the track

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Click HERE to follow my build!!
Click HERE to follow me on Instagram

#savethemanuals
Hard Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 02:43 PM   #41
cleoent

Drives: 16' Camaro E-Force SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric SS View Post
All good info but I'm going to be honest, if this car grenaded like it sounds like it did in the 2nd session of the day, it doesn't sound like the incorrect oil weight was used. It sounds like something worse that would have happened regardless of oil weight.
I highly doubt that using 5/30 synthetic, vs 10/40 synthetic would be the difference between a blown motor or not. There's just no way. Increased wear, for sure, grenade 20 minutes into the day, no.

I'm betting on the fact that they either overfilled or underfilled oil. It doesn't sound like OP checked oil after the dealer changed it (and he shouldn't have to IMO, but probably should have), and too much/little oil could leader to failure pretty quick.
cleoent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 03:02 PM   #42
Joe's_cool_1le

Drives: Black 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage View Post
As to oil level - yes all good and always checked before each session. Same with tire wear and tire pressure as well as lug nuts. I felt the motor coming apart as I depressed the pedal and, before I hit 5k, it was all over. It happened in less than a few seconds.
Per the OP in a previous post. He checked the oil level
Joe's_cool_1le is offline   Reply With Quote