Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-11-2017, 01:46 PM   #15
glamcem

Drives: '19 RivrsdBlu 1LE ('17 1LE HB sold)
I will be going with 0w-40 Mobil 1 European formula as I previously did for my C6 GS. I will never put 15-50 on any engine that's insane it's probably a band aid fix for the track temps (possibly for hotter climates)

Due to tight tolerances in modern engines adding a higher viscosity oil also creates more friction and ultimately more heat. I am not 100% sure if this is the case with the LT1 but my friend has been tracking with 0w-40 on his C7 and also sent his oil to Blackstone for analysis few times ..so far so good.. He did mention that the rumor is the Mobil 1 0w-40 will soon be Dexos rated

When it comes to catch can, each application/motor is different I used dual catch cans in my Supercharged BRZ and it was collecting some oil from PCV side but nothing from the crankcase side so ended up removing the second one. In some cars it's not even needed so I am not sure whether or not it's required forthe LT1 engine
glamcem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 01:56 PM   #16
seanblurr

Drives: ZL1 1LE
I like the idea of that oil, could be a good set up for all around. I'm still not sold on the catch can though, I was reading some posts from the previous gen 1LE in which some people are saying GM has a factory PCV side catch can that was "standard" on the car. Again, this was from 2013 though. I could be confused on which side catch can is really needed though.
Old 01-11-2017, 02:02 PM   #17
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
You guys do know that the LT1 on the 6G Camaro already has a catch canststem on it, right? It's on the clean air circuit of the crankcase ventilation system. The PCV valve circuit, to which is typically the largest contributor of oily air, has a short pipe that is routed vertically up, to the intake. This makes it harder for oily residue to make it into the intake. Putting in an additional separator in the PCV/dirty side circuit will help, but, so far, I haven't seen evidence it does anything significant.

As for oil, I'm going to do what I did on my Mustang: run 0-W40 Mobil 1 primarily and change to oil while I get to 30% use according to the monitor or after two consecutive track days.
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 02:08 PM   #18
glamcem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
You guys do know that the LT1 on the 6G Camaro already has a catch canststem on it, right? It's on the clean air circuit of the crankcase ventilation system. The PCV valve circuit, to which is typically the largest contributor of oily air, has a short pipe that is routed vertically up, to the intake. This makes it harder for oily residue to make it into the intake. Putting in an additional separator in the PCV/dirty side circuit will help, but, so far, I haven't seen evidence it does anything significant.

As for oil, I'm going to do what I did on my Mustang: run 0-W40 Mobil 1 primarily and change to oil while I get to 30% use according to the monitor or after two consecutive track days.
Nope, I didn't know that so there you go, no need to fix anything..

it seems like GM already put a lot of thought into these cars when they built them whereas we have to take some precautions (catch cans, oil coolers, brake ducting, big brake kits ..etc) for other cars for track use..so there's that
Old 01-11-2017, 02:11 PM   #19
glamcem

Blackstone Oil analysis results of Mobil 1 0w-40 with the LT1 engine, after 4 track days..
Keep in mind 1LE already comes with oil, tranny and diff coolers and more ventilation area up front
http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...post1592966868
Old 01-11-2017, 02:16 PM   #20
Mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamcem View Post
I will be going with 0w-40 Mobil 1 European formula as I previously did for my C6 GS. I will never put 15-50 on any engine that's insane it's probably a band aid fix for the track temps (possibly for hotter climates)

Due to tight tolerances in modern engines adding a higher viscosity oil also creates more friction and ultimately more heat. I am not 100% sure if this is the case with the LT1 but my friend has been tracking with 0w-40 on his C7 and also sent his oil to Blackstone for analysis few times ..so far so good.. He did mention that the rumor is the Mobil 1 0w-40 will soon be Dexos rated

When it comes to catch can, each application/motor is different I used dual catch cans in my Supercharged BRZ and it was collecting some oil from PCV side but nothing from the crankcase side so ended up removing the second one. In some cars it's not even needed so I am not sure whether or not it's required forthe LT1 engine
It is now Dexos 2 rated. I forget where I saw that.

EDIT: It looks like the regular Mobil 1 Synthetic, European Formula, is not officailly on the list, but the other 0-w40 Mobil 1 oils are for Dexos2. For Dexos1, you will only find 20- and 30-weight oils.
http://www.centerforqa.com/dexos-brand2/

This is from the Owner's Manual Track Driving section (SS/LT vs. 1LE/ZL1):
Attached Images

Last edited by Mountain; 01-11-2017 at 02:28 PM.
Old 01-11-2017, 02:17 PM   #21
Mountain

Take a look:
Attached Images

Old 01-11-2017, 02:33 PM   #22
glamcem

perfect thanks for the info
Old 01-11-2017, 02:41 PM   #23
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 1LE View Post
This stuff really that good? Links to tests? I used to check out Bob the Oil Guy a lot, and last I checked (granted, over a year ago), the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum synthetic was where it was at...
The motul is the only real option I found when looking for a dexos 2 approved 5w40 that wasn't a desiel formulated oil.
Old 01-11-2017, 02:41 PM   #24
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
I've known this as well, but as you said, it is on the clean side, not the PCV side...still wonder why they choose just that side, not both? And C7's don't have either, go figure...

I have personally seen with my own eyes two intakes off of these cars, one with only a few thousand miles on it, and it had oil residue of the inside of the intake. The other had 5000 or so miles, catch can on it since about 800 miles, it had hardly any oil residue. Also, the two guys I personally know running these cars in various SCCA events also are running catch cans. So take that for what it's worth...
Old 01-11-2017, 02:44 PM   #25
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjk3888 View Post
The motul is the only real option I found when looking for a dexos 2 approved 5w40 that wasn't a desiel formulated oil.
Oh I just realized it's 5w40...do they make a 5w30 too?

Not sure if I wanna go to a 40 weight oil for regular use, what are the advantages/disadvantages, if any of such a slight change from 5w30 to 5w40? This weight is approved by GM, as I think I saw it in the owners manual.
Old 01-11-2017, 02:46 PM   #26
seanblurr

That picture above makes it seem like this car does have a catch can/separator ON the PCV side...??
Old 01-11-2017, 02:48 PM   #27
seanblurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjk3888 View Post
the X-Clean 5w-40 is a diesel formula. ...
Old 01-11-2017, 02:52 PM   #28
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanblurr View Post
That picture above makes it seem like this car does have a catch can/separator ON the PCV side...??
Those diagrams are hard to see clearly on my phone, but I am pretty sure I have read multiple times the catch/drain is not on the PCV side...