Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 03-10-2016, 09:09 AM   #127
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Jordans 16 is a manual with the VMax ported unit and it made great power. The auto could help create the illusion that there is more gain but it really just boils down to the clutch work in the manual taking some of that initial throttle response away, or making it feel that way anyway.

All the best,

Jared Royce
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 11:34 PM   #128
1badrwd

Drives: 2016 camaro 2ss npp, A8
Just received by ported throttle body today and honestly I'm not that impressed. I waited 2-3 weeks for it and it cost $150 plus the core. What i got i could have done with a dremel and i am actually finishing it with my dremel!As you can see from the 2 pics they did take out some of the lip but not all!There is still a part on each side and a big part at the top! I'm not a person that expects things to be super crazy in the porting world but when i could have done it with a dremel it seems to be a bit ridiculous to ask $150 for especially when i have to fix it with my myself for it to be fully ported! just my 2 cents!
Attached Images

To be American is to love the flag, women, and sports cars!
1badrwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 12:36 PM   #129
JDP Motorsports

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/ 2016 Camaro SS
That CNC port design was developed through testing and seeing what works the best for airflow. The material that is removed is removed for a reason and the material left is there for airflow and drivability reasons. You can't compare a hand ported throttle body with a dremel to the quality of this piece as well as the performance results. If you're removing material you're not helping the flow or performance and honestly you're compromising the overall performance of the unit.

Kind regards,

Jordan Priestley
801-545-4215
JDP Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 12:50 PM   #130
jdasnt3

Drives: 18 Silverado 1500
Our A8 picked up 8/8 on the dyno with the PTB only (different brand). Same day as the stock dyno and a little later in the day with higher ambient air temperatures. They dynos are posted in the dyno section.
Old 03-18-2016, 12:53 PM   #131
Kracka

Drives: 2021 Corvette Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badrwd View Post
Just received by ported throttle body today and honestly I'm not that impressed. I waited 2-3 weeks for it and it cost $150 plus the core. What i got i could have done with a dremel and i am actually finishing it with my dremel!As you can see from the 2 pics they did take out some of the lip but not all!There is still a part on each side and a big part at the top! I'm not a person that expects things to be super crazy in the porting world but when i could have done it with a dremel it seems to be a bit ridiculous to ask $150 for especially when i have to fix it with my myself for it to be fully ported! just my 2 cents!
Take a look at the porting work I had done by WeaponX, and that Tr6 had done by SoCal Porting. It's a much more thorough job probably more along the lines of what you were expecting and are looking for.
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 01:00 PM   #132
1badrwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracka View Post
Take a look at the porting work I had done by WeaponX, and that Tr6 had done by SoCal Porting. It's a much more thorough job probably more along the lines of what you were expecting and are looking for.
The pics SoCal has on their site of throttle bodies is exactly what you'd expect to see from a porting job!! That's nice work right there.

Old 03-18-2016, 01:06 PM   #133
1badrwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDP Motorsports View Post
That CNC port design was developed through testing and seeing what works the best for airflow. The material that is removed is removed for a reason and the material left is there for airflow and drivability reasons. You can't compare a hand ported throttle body with a dremel to the quality of this piece as well as the performance results. If you're removing material you're not helping the flow or performance and honestly you're compromising the overall performance of the unit.

Kind regards,

Jordan Priestley
801-545-4215
I was simply stating that the port job was not fully done! As you can see in the pic I posted there is still a lip on each side. In the first pic you guys posted a pic of the ported throttle body there is no lip and it is a smooth transition which is what a port job is supposed to do. The one I received is not smooth and thus I have to finish the job.

Old 03-18-2016, 01:30 PM   #134
bobshannon22

Drives: 2016 camaro 1ss
So where do we order the better ported tb as I'm ordering one today
Old 03-18-2016, 03:28 PM   #135
JDP Motorsports

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/ 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badrwd View Post
I was simply stating that the port job was not fully done! As you can see in the pic I posted there is still a lip on each side. In the first pic you guys posted a pic of the ported throttle body there is no lip and it is a smooth transition which is what a port job is supposed to do. The one I received is not smooth and thus I have to finish the job.
We've got proven testing that says this unit works and I run the exact same CNC ported unit on my Camaro. The performance and drivability is excellent and in my opinion this is the best unit available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobshannon22 View Post
The VMAX unit is the only CNC ported unit available with testing. There is no question in my mind that it provides consistent results. Please feel free to call, email or PM us anytime with questions.

Kind regards,

Jordan Priestley
801-545-4215
JDP Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 05:46 PM   #136
Garys16SS

Drives: 2016 SS, BLACK, MANUAL
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobshannon22 View Post
I purchased a ported TB from Katech for $232 without sending them one, that way I get to keep mine.
1 7/8" headers and exhaust from Stainless Works complete with nonNPP mufflers and 5"outlets, Katech ported TB, Moroso catch can, MRR M017 polished powder wheels, Eibach lowering springs, and BMR upper/ lower trailing arms and upper control arms. ZL1/1le sway bars and Magnusson Supercharger with Jannetty tune. Stay Tuned!!!......More to come.
2014 Camaro Ashen grey, 3.6, 6 speed, Vararam intake, Elite catch can, chrome wheels, and Vitesse controller.
2003 SSR red,
2016 Vette
Garys16SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 09:35 PM   #137
Wolvie70

Drives: 2016 2SS, Summit White, A8, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDP Motorsports View Post
We've got proven testing that says this unit works and I run the exact same CNC ported unit on my Camaro. The performance and drivability is excellent and in my opinion this is the best unit available.

The VMAX unit is the only CNC ported unit available with testing. There is no question in my mind that it provides consistent results. Please feel free to call, email or PM us anytime with questions.

Kind regards,

Jordan Priestley
801-545-4215
Pics of yours, because the one 1badrwd posted looks nothing like the one you posted up on the first page.
Wolvie70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 11:40 PM   #138
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledgehammer70 View Post
Baseline: RWHP 387 | RWTQ 396 (Best of 3 runs)

VMax TB: RWHP 391 | RWTQ 398 (Best of 3 runs)

VMax TB & open intake box: RWHP 401 | RWTQ 407 (Best of 3 runs)
Based on the plot you provided, the standard deviation on the baseline runs was 3X higher than the amount you are claiming to have gained. With that said, it's hard to make a case that this provided any gain on your car.

Can you post a similar plot with the VMax TB installed?
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 06:16 AM   #139
mgwarlock
Nightfall Gray Blackout

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDP Sales View Post
Indeed! We were pretty stoked about the Torque gains.

Jared Royce
Please PM me as well. Thx
mgwarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 08:08 AM   #140
TSloper

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
I would love to see someone actually quantify their improved throttle response. Everyone makes it sound like there is this incredible lag between your foot and the crankshaft. There isn't. Go log pedal, throttle, and RPM while driving around at a high refresh rate.

Ported TBs are not worth anything. Do you think GM designed the inlet the way they did because they had to find a home for extra aluminum they had on hand? Everyone is looking at WOT gains but not paying any attention to the fact that 99% of the time you are running at low loads low RPM. Those lips have a purpose and the dyno charts don't indicate messing with them is of any value.
TSloper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
6th gen camaro, jdp motorsports, lt1 throttle body, ported throttle body, vmax