Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 06-29-2016, 08:00 AM   #1
hou30guy

Drives: 2011 convertible 2ss/rs
Removing oil pan for turbo return line tap

How do i remove my oil pan from my 2011 ss so i can drill and tap for turbo return line need help asap plz and thxs
hou30guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 08:28 AM   #2
bct10985

Drives: 2010 2SS LS3, 2013 duramax
I dont think you can unless you support the engine and lower the cradle or jack up the engine
Old 06-29-2016, 09:08 AM   #3
Maiden69

Drives: 2020 Orange Crush 1SS/1LE
on my GTO I supported the engine by the transmission while I lowered the cradle enough to remove the pan... a PITA on a GTO, I don't know how hard it is on this car. You can also use a 90 degree drill with a short bit and grease up the bit to catch any shavings and then tap the pan. I removed mine because I wanted to weld the fitting in.
Maiden69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 09:22 AM   #4
Superman09
Account SNAFU

Drives: 13 Tahoe 79 Scout II 15 1LE
Hold the engine from above, undo the motor mounts, the steering shaft, and all the wires that are down there. Then support the cradle unbolt it and slowly drop it down. You will have to have it almost all the way down if not completely off to get the pan out. I got my pan out with it almost off, but wasn't able to get it back in until I completely removed the cradle.

Sent from my campfire using smoke signals
Superman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 10:30 AM   #5
bayarea408

Drives: T
if your tap location for the turbo setup is anything like the Huron kit, which is towards the front driver side of the pan right before it bends into a more shallow taper. This location can be access through a straight shot from the front driver fender well. You will need the bit, a deep socket, wrench extension, and a socket wrench drill bit adapter to make it long enough to reach and drill slowly.

I am using a 13mm extended socket which i placed a microfiber towel over the front of and tapped the socket onto the drill bit shank it drastically reduces any wiggle or play in an extension for a calmer rotation.
bayarea408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 10:45 AM   #6
avido

Drives: camaro ss\rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea408 View Post
if your tap location for the turbo setup is anything like the Huron kit, which is towards the front driver side of the pan right before it bends into a more shallow taper. This location can be access through a straight shot from the front driver fender well. You will need the bit, a deep socket, wrench extension, and a socket wrench drill bit adapter to make it long enough to reach and drill slowly.

I am using a 13mm extended socket which i placed a microfiber towel over the front of and tapped the socket onto the drill bit shank it drastically reduces any wiggle or play in an extension for a calmer rotation.
actually i don't hink it's a good idea. you risk that some debris come into the oiling system causing problems
2014 camaro SS Whipple powered ,3.750 pulley,ID850, CAI,Flowmaster American Thunder exhaust,MGW racing shifter,Bo White ported tb,MightyMouse Catch Can,Vitesse throttle controller,GM 3.91 rear end, Dynatech longtube haders, BTR Pd cam,Fluidampr stock pulley,ZL1 fuel pump and ADM fpcm, Phastek scoop and fluid thank relocation Bmr Motor mount . Tuned by Mastuning

avido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 03:46 PM   #7
bayarea408

Drives: T
Quote:
Originally Posted by avido View Post
actually i don't hink it's a good idea. you risk that some debris come into the oiling system causing problems

I think you misunderstood my microfiber usage.

It is to fill the wiggle space between the Bit and the socket.

Only thing you have to do is use grease to catch metal flakes and do it with full oil tank so that you can drain to ensure you take out as much metal as possible.

Only other options are Cut the frame up or lift the motor to remove the pan to tap it outside.
bayarea408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 04:34 PM   #8
blake-b

Drives: 2009 ZR1
Download the Vortech installation instructions. They detail how to drill a hole in the pan with it still on the engine. I don't think it is an issue as I have never heard of anyone having issues with debris in the oil pan after doing it. Besides, any debris would be too big to go through the oil pick up screen. It would either stay in the bottom of the pan or just stick to the screen.

http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/images/116.pdf
Step 5, page 22
blake-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 03:48 PM   #9
davidscamaro

Drives: 2010 SS/RS M6 BIG cam
Just a idea here, why not drain back through the oil fill cap or even drill and tap a hole in the valve cover for the drain?
davidscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 04:33 PM   #10
avido

Drives: camaro ss\rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea408 View Post
I think you misunderstood my microfiber usage.

It is to fill the wiggle space between the Bit and the socket.

Only thing you have to do is use grease to catch metal flakes and do it with full oil tank so that you can drain to ensure you take out as much metal as possible.

Only other options are Cut the frame up or lift the motor to remove the pan to tap it outside.
I got it, but it's risky. I wouldn't take they risk. Better take 3 ours more than sorry in my opinion
2014 camaro SS Whipple powered ,3.750 pulley,ID850, CAI,Flowmaster American Thunder exhaust,MGW racing shifter,Bo White ported tb,MightyMouse Catch Can,Vitesse throttle controller,GM 3.91 rear end, Dynatech longtube haders, BTR Pd cam,Fluidampr stock pulley,ZL1 fuel pump and ADM fpcm, Phastek scoop and fluid thank relocation Bmr Motor mount . Tuned by Mastuning

avido is offline   Reply With Quote