Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 06-07-2020, 12:17 AM   #1
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
Someone broke into my 6th Gen

I'm pissed AF.

I had a long as hell day. Left Austin for Houston at 2pm, Got to Houston at 5pm, returned to Austin and got home at midnight. Left Austin for Atlanta at 3am no sleep whatsoever. Drove 16 hours to Atlanta:

^^^ That was way more than a 9 hr drive

got checked in my hotel then went to get food. When I came out, this is what I was greeted to...

They even tried to hide the glass under the car as if somehow I wouldnt notice. Instead of getting some sleep, I am now on the phone with Geico.

I want to have it repaired before I go back...any idea as to what kind of hassles I'm looking at as far as that goes and how long I should expect it to take?
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 12:34 AM   #2
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE
First thing I'd do, clean the glass up. You have leather and the glass will cut into that.

You can look into car-part and local salvage yards around that area to get a new glass then find a small shop that can install it. Or call the insurance and get something installed from them, probably through GM dealer near you. Don't know the cost difference but either way should be fine and shouldn't take anymore than 1 maybe 2 days.
Happiness: Infinite

Bumbleboy92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 12:53 AM   #3
Need4Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumbleboy92 View Post
First thing I'd do, clean the glass up. You have leather and the glass will cut into that.

You can look into car-part and local salvage yards around that area to get a new glass then find a small shop that can install it. Or call the insurance and get something installed from them, probably through GM dealer near you. Don't know the cost difference but either way should be fine and shouldn't take anymore than 1 maybe 2 days.
Happen to know if the dealer would need to order something like that? I'm guessing yes. I'm only here until Wednesday is why I ask. Also my car came with dealer installed tint..I guess I need to tell my adjuster that?
Old 06-07-2020, 08:20 AM   #4
L8Apex

Drives: 2016 2SS
Don't go with aftermarket glass, it's never as good, I always find waves in it.
L8Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 01:04 PM   #5
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
I’m assuming that you had a police report made since you talked to Geico. There are probably some glass shops you could use to get it repaired but I wouldn’t drive back to Austin with no window. Sorry you have to deal with this and hope all works out for you and just do a search on the computer for auto glass shops there and they can probably replace it in a day. On the tint issue you can wait until you get back home to get it done. Was anything taken out of the car?
Old 06-07-2020, 03:21 PM   #6
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Happen to know if the dealer would need to order something like that? I'm guessing yes. I'm only here until Wednesday is why I ask. Also my car came with dealer installed tint..I guess I need to tell my adjuster that?
Best bet would be to call some dealers tomorrow morning and ask them if they have it available and price, do include the tint in the call and to the insurance so you don’t have to worry about it later.

Chances are, one of the dealers around should have the glass in stock and can install/tint it within a day.
Happiness: Infinite

Bumbleboy92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 03:28 PM   #7
BlackKnight2SS18
Account Suspended

Drives: 2018 2SS Redline
1st get the hell out of Atlanta.
2nd get it fixed when you get home.
BlackKnight2SS18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 08:18 PM   #8
Need4Camaro

Well. It's fixed. I found a glass shop my insurance approved of and paid a fifty dollar deductible. The tint, I'm probably going to wait till I get back to Austin. As soon as I'm done with what I need to do I'm gone and probably not coming back. That was the final straw between me and Atlanta.

And yes they stole my set of keys to my Toyota Prius. I bring all of my car keys with me when I travel incase someone breaks into my house while I'm gone so they wont steal my other cars... well...that didnt turn out as intended. I'm locked out of my Prius and have no way of entering it or reprogramming it. They also have my house key as well. My vehicle registration and insurance has my Texas address so I'm a bit worried they may attempt to pay my house a visit. Is this likely given its 1,000 miles away?

How can I get back into my Prius?
Old 06-07-2020, 08:25 PM   #9
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Drives: A Tricked Out Mountain Bike
Who knows if they will or not. Or, they mail the keys to a friend/sell them... I'd change the locks to be safe.
Old 06-07-2020, 08:55 PM   #10
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Well. It's fixed. I found a glass shop my insurance approved of and paid a fifty dollar deductible. The tint, I'm probably going to wait till I get back to Austin. As soon as I'm done with what I need to do I'm gone and probably not coming back. That was the final straw between me and Atlanta.

And yes they stole my set of keys to my Toyota Prius. I bring all of my car keys with me when I travel incase someone breaks into my house while I'm gone so they wont steal my other cars... well...that didnt turn out as intended. I'm locked out of my Prius and have no way of entering it or reprogramming it. They also have my house key as well. My vehicle registration and insurance has my Texas address so I'm a bit worried they may attempt to pay my house a visit. Is this likely given its 1,000 miles away?

How can I get back into my Prius?

They're breaking into cars, clearly not the most sophisticated thieves. As far as stealing your Prius, even thieves have standards. No one is going to touch that thing. I'm not certain why you'd leave a registration and house key together in a car, but shit happens I guess, lesson learned. I came from a pretty tough neighborhood ( hence my earlier statements) and can tell you that no one is traveling 1000 miles, because they have "keys." They'd rather break a window or kick in a door closer to home. I'd still change the locks, but it doesn't mean much to a determined thief. What happened to you sucks, all you can do now is pick up the pieces an stay away from Atlanta!!!
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 05:21 AM   #11
Camaro_QC

Drives: 08 Tiburon GS, 2018 Camaro 2.0T
I would not take any chance and change the locks. You never know what they can do.
1100 - 5/08/2018 | 3800 - 6/18/2018
2000 - 5/09/2018 | 4200 - 6/21/2018
3000 - 5/28/2018 | 5000 - 6/27/2018
6000 - 6/29/2018
Camaro_QC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 06:09 AM   #12
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Thieves who break windows are amateurs and probably don’t even have reliable means to go a thousand miles to break into your house and then a thousand back. You can still change the locks but I wouldn’t worry much about it.

Now, if your car was broken into without physical damage there’d be some cause for concern. That would mean they had expensive equipment and/or knew a few things about disarming modern vehicle coded security and door lock systems.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 06:19 AM   #13
Need4Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol Head View Post
Thieves who break windows are amateurs and probably don’t even have reliable means to go a thousand miles to break into your house and then a thousand back. You can still change the locks but I wouldn’t worry much about it.

Now, if your car was broken into without physical damage there’d be some cause for concern. That would mean they had expensive equipment and/or knew a few things about disarming modern vehicle coded security and door lock systems.
Yea. It just pisses me off that they got away with it and also that I didnt detect it while it was happening.
Old 06-08-2020, 06:49 AM   #14
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Well Atlanta is one of the cities that has had protesting for a couple of weeks now and most of if it has been in the downtown part of the city and I would assume that’s where the hotel is located that you are staying in. Police can’t be everywhere in the city at the present time.