Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-23-2019, 11:25 AM   #1
greg0ry

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS 1LE
How often should I do oil/diff/tran fluid changes?

I don't track! Lol. Is it weird that I have 10% oil left after 5K miles? Also, like the title says.. how often should I change my oil, diff and transmission fluids? Are there any other fluids I should be changing at certain points besides these 3? I'm new to all this, learning.. don't judge too hard! lol. Thank you.
greg0ry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 11:51 AM   #2
Osbornsm

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Well... the paranoid people on here will tell you to swap all your fluids at 1500 miles.

This is most likely figured in to the OIL LIFE meter you are reading.

Otherwise, Full Synthetic... and every 5000 miles.

Mods: Rotofab, Nick Williams 103mm TB, MSD IM, Kooks 1 7/8
Results: 470 hp / 447 tq
Osbornsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 12:31 PM   #3
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
i did my first oil change at 1500 miles then 5000 miles and did the rear diff flush at 5000 miles also

as for oil changes i dont drive much so maybe once or twice a year and should probably do my rear diff flush again soon

also changed the cabin filter twice now or every 2 years and done my brake fluid every 2 years
Old 10-23-2019, 12:40 PM   #4
Nick S

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
I look at it like this. Ask yourself these two questions:

1. How many hours of testing and development research has GM done on the LT1 engine and oil life intervals?
2. How many hours of testing have any of the people responding to this question performed on oil life intervals in the LT1?

Which ever one of those questions has the highest number of hours of testing is the one you should listen to for your oil change interval recommendations.

If you are just street driving it like a regular car even with spirited driving, just follow the manufacturers recommended oil change intervals/procedures. Use the oil life monitor on the dash and don't try to make a simple maintenance item into a complicated one.

Even if you do track driving the OEM still has recommended oil change intervals you can follow for track use.

GM warranty's the power train for 60,000 miles/5 years. Do you think they would really want to warranty the power train for that many miles if they didn't trust their oil life monitor and oil change interval recommendations?

Also I'd apply this same approach to any of the other fluids (Trans, Diff, etc...). For peace of mind you could change all the fluids after the initial break in period just to start with some fresh fluids again after break in. But other then that I wouldn't go out and start changing fluids much more often than what GM recommends.
Old 10-23-2019, 02:07 PM   #5
NeverDie
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osbornsm View Post
Well... the paranoid people on here will tell you to swap all your fluids at 1500 miles.

This is most likely figured in to the OIL LIFE meter you are reading.

Otherwise, Full Synthetic... and every 5000 miles.
Sure, "the paranoid" on here might tell you that.

But the ****ing manufacturer tells you to do your first oil change at 500 if you plan to track the car, and several other services at 1500:

https://camarosofmichigan.com/2017/2..._guide-min.pdf

Paranoid GM!
NeverDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 08:56 PM   #6
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
OP, look at your manual in the back with the service intervals table. It will tell you exactly what you need to know.
protovack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 09:48 PM   #7
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osbornsm View Post
and so will the people who build the parts.

change everything at 500. everything has to break in. rear diff will be metallic black by 500. engine oil and rear diff again at 1000-1500 then go with what your engine oil manufacturer says its good for. rear diff every 20,000. Do this and the fluids will look like new when you change them. a top quality full synthetic will be good for 7500+. Amsoil signature says its good for 25,000 miles but at 10,000 it will start to get dark. I just go by the oil monitor in my Silverados and once a year in my Camaro. I only put like 7000 miles on the camaro a year. Do the rear diff yourself or get a independent shop to it. The dealer grossly price gouges the cost. $150 for something that takes 10 min and $20 in fluid.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 11:31 AM   #8
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
just did second oil change of the year this weekend and another rear diff fluid bought all the filter/fluids to dealer only charged me $90
Old 12-25-2019, 10:03 AM   #9
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
i plan to change the trans and dif fluid every spring. engine oil every 5k miles/20% oil life, after fresh oil in the spring, as well.
Old 02-16-2023, 03:27 AM   #10
JasonChaves

Drives: 2023 Chevy Camaro 2ss 1le
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick S View Post
I look at it like this. Ask yourself these two questions:

1. How many hours of testing and development research has GM done on the LT1 engine and oil life intervals?
2. How many hours of testing have any of the people responding to this question performed on oil life intervals in the LT1?

Which ever one of those questions has the highest number of hours of testing is the one you should listen to for your oil change interval recommendations.

If you are just street driving it like a regular car even with spirited driving, just follow the manufacturers recommended oil change intervals/procedures. Use the oil life monitor on the dash and don't try to make a simple maintenance item into a complicated one.

Even if you do track driving the OEM still has recommended oil change intervals you can follow for track use.

GM warranty's the power train for 60,000 miles/5 years. Do you think they would really want to warranty the power train for that many miles if they didn't trust their oil life monitor and oil change interval recommendations?

Also I'd apply this same approach to any of the other fluids (Trans, Diff, etc...). For peace of mind you could change all the fluids after the initial break in period just to start with some fresh fluids again after break in. But other then that I wouldn't go out and start changing fluids much more often than what GM recommends.
Where did you get those 1le door handles?
JasonChaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 10:31 AM   #11
sr71bb

Drives: 2019 Camaro Z-28
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg0ry View Post
I don't track! Lol. Is it weird that I have 10% oil left after 5K miles? Also, like the title says.. how often should I change my oil, diff and transmission fluids? Are there any other fluids I should be changing at certain points besides these 3? I'm new to all this, learning.. don't judge too hard! lol. Thank you.

Well as far as oil changes go, I DO track my car frequently and I change oil when the oil life meter say 50% life left. I also daily drive the car and if I DIDNT track my car, I would change when I was around 20% oil life left.

Your manual of course will give you the recommended intervals on all of these but is it better to error on the side of more frequent changes.
https://youtu.be/c9M5UHDftcA
4-15-23 at SCCA TT U1 Class

MEGA Thread on THIS car:
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=602092

Retired Cars BELOW:
1973 Camaro, 1969 Camaro, 1969 Camaro SS RS
2010 Camaro SS with 1000HP F1R, 2019 ZL1 1LE A10
sr71bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 07:07 PM   #12
asthmamax11

Drives: 1SS Summit White 6 speed
If you're driving it hard then change diff and trans fluid every 10k miles