Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-06-2016, 01:37 AM   #1
CamaroATL

Drives: 2016 Black 2SS + NPP + MRC
Stock 2SS... what to do first that won't void warranty?

Hey guys,
I have a stock 2SS... i'm wondering if there is a list somewhere in this thread with suggestions on what to do first, along with estimate on cost associated with the upgrade. I've mainly focused on cosmetic upgrades up until this point..

22" matte wheels, matte stripes, gold emblems, blacked out everything, tint, dashcam, etc etc

I have a few friends with 2016 SS and i've heard them mention:

ported throttle body
cold-air intake

That's about it... i'm not extremely knowledgeable on cars but that's why i'm on this forum, to learn.

Any suggestions on mods that you've done, brand of manufacturer for the mod and why you chose them, the cost associated with the upgrade, and what performance changes you felt would be much appreciated. I'll continue to browse these forums for info too.
CamaroATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 08:12 AM   #2
JoeAyalaM
Account Suspended

Drives: Audi S6 V8TT, Volvos XC60 & S60R
There is nothing worth doing that won't void it. You could however buy all GM performance upgrades available and maintain it.

Your car looks great, btw.
JoeAyalaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 08:30 AM   #3
HumanWiki

Drives: Car
My first question to you, since you've stated your intro to mods level, would be to say "What is your goal with mods?" and people can go from there answering all the other stuff.

Like, what are you looking to accomplish with modding the car? More sound, more acceleration, more handling, are you going to drag race primarily, road or autoX primarily, are you only a daily driver, how much do you drive in inclement weather, etc. Some have OEM power/handling and like doing track events in that manner because they increase their skill w/o adding power/handling. Some have 900 tire HP and have never seen anything other than a car show. So, it's all over for that.

While the mod market is still growing for these cars, there's still options and some are mutually exclusive if you're going a certain route. For example, you don't want a high stall converter if you're going to road-race and you don't want a wide square tire setup if you're going to drag race.

I've had lightly modded and heavily modded before with mixed results. Some people can have a heavily modded car and rarely have issues, some have nothing but. Others will have no issues with OEM, others will be in the shop 50% of the month. So, I can't really say that you'll have a bad go or a good one.

The amount of money you'll spend will depend on which mods, in what order, from which vendors, at what time and if you upgrade the mods with options.

So, I guess first thing's first. What is your goal and what are you looking to accomplish by modding that the car doesn't currently do? And, saying "I just want more power/faster" is a perfectly acceptable answer.
HumanWiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 12:30 PM   #4
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Depends on your goals. If you want to just enjoy your car more and personalize it a bit then literally anything you do will increase your enjoyment...based on how much it costs, lol!! If you don't wanna void your warranty then there are many things you can do. Added up you might gain a little extra power. Would that little extra power be enough for a hardcore racer who lives to run 10s? No. But if you just DD your car and wanna do little stuff for a few hundred dollars at a time and not have to worry about the warranty, then stick with the basics. Intake and exhaust should satisfy you. AFter a couple years and about 10K miles and once you are comfortable with doing more, that is when you can look into headers, torque converters, custom tunes, etc.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 01:05 PM   #5
E-Ray

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Nightfall Grey
http://www.edelbrock.com/media/news/...ve/042616.html

E-Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 02:16 PM   #6
LibertyHill

Drives: 16 2SS 6MT NPP MRC / 15 K1300S
Stripes look great! Is that a kit or done locally? I see no shiny border around the hood vents.
LibertyHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 06:54 PM   #7
CamaroATL

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanWiki View Post
My first question to you, since you've stated your intro to mods level, would be to say "What is your goal with mods?" and people can go from there answering all the other stuff.

Like, what are you looking to accomplish with modding the car? More sound, more acceleration, more handling, are you going to drag race primarily, road or autoX primarily, are you only a daily driver, how much do you drive in inclement weather, etc. Some have OEM power/handling and like doing track events in that manner because they increase their skill w/o adding power/handling. Some have 900 tire HP and have never seen anything other than a car show. So, it's all over for that.

While the mod market is still growing for these cars, there's still options and some are mutually exclusive if you're going a certain route. For example, you don't want a high stall converter if you're going to road-race and you don't want a wide square tire setup if you're going to drag race.

I've had lightly modded and heavily modded before with mixed results. Some people can have a heavily modded car and rarely have issues, some have nothing but. Others will have no issues with OEM, others will be in the shop 50% of the month. So, I can't really say that you'll have a bad go or a good one.

The amount of money you'll spend will depend on which mods, in what order, from which vendors, at what time and if you upgrade the mods with options.

So, I guess first thing's first. What is your goal and what are you looking to accomplish by modding that the car doesn't currently do? And, saying "I just want more power/faster" is a perfectly acceptable answer.
Excellent response.. thank you... I live in a big city and the street racing scene is kinda big down here.. I dont necessarily intend to participate (lol) but everybody does meet up occasionally in a parking lot and scopes out each others cars, discusses mods, etc... i'm def not looking for drag racing or track... I plan on it being a daily driver, but just more power basically for minimal cost.. i'm assuming ported throttle body, cold air intake and tune would be a typical first few mods with that in mind?
Old 07-06-2016, 06:56 PM   #8
CamaroATL

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyHill View Post
Stripes look great! Is that a kit or done locally? I see no shiny border around the hood vents.
A wrap company locally did the stripes for me.
Old 07-06-2016, 06:59 PM   #9
CamaroATL

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Ray View Post
How much did that run you? Sounds awesome but may be overkill for me... I guess depends on price
Old 07-06-2016, 07:00 PM   #10
CamaroATL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
Depends on your goals. If you want to just enjoy your car more and personalize it a bit then literally anything you do will increase your enjoyment...based on how much it costs, lol!! If you don't wanna void your warranty then there are many things you can do. Added up you might gain a little extra power. Would that little extra power be enough for a hardcore racer who lives to run 10s? No. But if you just DD your car and wanna do little stuff for a few hundred dollars at a time and not have to worry about the warranty, then stick with the basics. Intake and exhaust should satisfy you. AFter a couple years and about 10K miles and once you are comfortable with doing more, that is when you can look into headers, torque converters, custom tunes, etc.
I have the NPP exhaust.. are people upgrading from that? It sounds great now... I guess i'll scope around and see what's available
Old 07-06-2016, 07:04 PM   #11
CamaroATL

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeAyalaM View Post
There is nothing worth doing that won't void it. You could however buy all GM performance upgrades available and maintain it.

Your car looks great, btw.
Thank you!
Old 07-06-2016, 07:31 PM   #12
C6J

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
That car looks amazing.��
C6J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 08:17 PM   #13
ULTRAZLS1

Drives: 14 Silverado LTZ Z71, 16 Camaro SS
First let me say your car looks awesome.

No offense on what you've done as it looks great but if you are looking for performance you are already slower than a stock car being you have 22 inch wheels.

The biggest gain you could get out of that car and keep the warranty would be a set of bigs n littles. Easily.
17x10 lightweight rims with a DR for the rear and a 17x5 front rim for the front. Weld makes them. You need the high pad version to clear the brakes. Would drop around 80 lbs of weight from the car and this would be rotational weight. Even more beneficial. That and the additional grip from the DRs would be quite the gain. Especially compared to your current set up.

When you go out on the town looking for a race throw them on. When you want to look cool stay with your 22s.
ULTRAZLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 07:45 AM   #14
TransAmx2

Drives: '98 Pontiac Trans Am
Personally, The first mod that I am considering is the Vitesse Motorsports Throttle Controller, I believe it does not void any warranty and is completely reversible without trace, it just improves throttle response and give you a significant seat of the pants improvement without being a major mod.

Sledgehammer did a great video on it:

After that I think I might just go straight to a supercharger if I still need more.
2007 Z51 Corvette M6 (Salvage Project Car)
1987 Trans Am 350tpi A4 RIP
TransAmx2 is offline   Reply With Quote