Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-21-2016, 10:58 PM   #15
Atomic Ed

Drives: 2001 Audi TT, 2016 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSloper View Post
The ECU will only compensate while in closed loop. If the fuel trims change significantly it is because the MAF output has changed for the same input of air mass. The ECM is compensating for a bad MAF output not an increase in air. If the MAF output matched that input the fuel trims would change very little even if the intake is slightly flowing better. At part throttle the factory intake is not going to be a restriction. Yes the ECM can compensate to a degree but it's not necessarily compensating for what you think it is. Unless the intake manufacturer can match the flow characteristics over the MAF element exactly as GM has it a tune is needed to ensure the AFR is where it should be in open loop mode (WOT).
Well said. I tried to make this point in another thread, but you did a better job of it. The more effective the CAI is, the better it will respond to a tune. MAF calibration is a minimum.
Atomic Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 09:56 AM   #16
gdgraph

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
The GM intake (which will not void your warranty) that was listed in the June 2016 Chevrolet Performance catalog (Part No. 23408280, Pg 17 of paper catalog or 19 of pdf) was apparently just put in there to tease all of us.

I contacted a local dealership in VA that deals with GM performance parts and they contacted GM and found out that the part should be available from most dealerships mid to late August. I am in the same boat as you, I am considering getting this one through GM to not void my warranty, but I am also considering getting the one through jannettyracing because they give you free tunes with anything you buy from them, and any performance mod will gain more power with a tune.

Especially with intakes, the more air you shove into the engine for combustion, it changes combustion pressures and engine timing, so even though they list this as "safe" without a tune, you'll get more out of it with a tune, and many tuners you buy today back up your factory tune so that you can revert back to it.

http://www.chevrolet.com/performance/parts-catalog.html
gdgraph is offline   Reply With Quote