Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 07-13-2016, 10:42 AM   #1
LesBaer
FMPG

Drives: 2016 2SS
Lightbulb Testing bolt on gains w/Dash Command app

I think I may have found an easy way for people that don't have access to a dyno to see what kind of gains they're getting from their performance mods and much more. A while back I purchased a BT1 blue tooth OBDII plug-in and downloaded a third party app for it to work with called Dash Command.

I just got around to trying it and without any configuration it was providing me with the horsepower and torque I was generating while driving (among other statistics). Torque and horsepower values can also be displayed at the wheel. Unfortunately the default dashboard only went up to 500lb-ft of torque, so the visual graph was being maxed out for me. However, there are literally thousands of other user designed dashboards out there that you can download or you can set up your own. You can select from hundreds of PID's that you'd like to track, hit the log data button, and when you're done the app will email you a .csv file containing your results. You can also just hit "play" and it will play back your recorded driving session so you can watch your results on the dashboard gauges built into the app. There are far too many metrics to list. So to test just make a baseline run, then install your mods and make an identical run(s).

I've only tried it once and haven't customized it yet, so I don't know for sure if all of the app supported PID's listed will be generated through the BT1 ODBII plug-in. The app is available for Android and IOS, but you need the BT1 for it to work via Bluetooth with an IOS device. It's the only plug-in that's Bluetooth compatible w/Dash Command (this I verified) and it's about $100 due to Apple's tighter requirements. Apple keeps automobile apps locked down a lot tighter than Android, so that's why I'm not 100% positive that you'll get every single PID with it. However the BT1 is listed as being officially supported on the Dash Command website (I just haven't tested everything). If you're paying for in-car wifi, there are other cheaper IOS options listed on the Dash Command website. On the Android side, the app is compatible with the cheap $4 ELM ODBII plug-ins.

Overall, I think this should work pretty good for at least giving you an idea if a mod is working and how much power you're generating before and after - sort of like a "pocket dyno".

The app also tracks shift times, fuel usage, tracks your lambda, boost, vaccuum and other air-related values, has skid pad mode, a race track mode and diagnostics. It's won multiple awards at SEMA, and has many positive user reviews. Even though it's not cheap for an app ($30), it's a lot cheaper than dyno time, re-usable on as many cars as you like at no cost and as convenient as it gets.
ARH 1 7/8" ceramic coated full sys w/NPP; Maggie 9.2psi (85mm); Jannetty rough idle cam(TSP), tune and LT4 fuel system; Forgeline VX1 Black PVD (20x10,11); R88R 315's; ALPriority; BMR rear arms, bushings, DS loop; RF intake (red); nGauge

93 octane: 712rwhp, 654rwtq / E85 (E66 mix): 734rwhp, 674rwtq (SuperFlow Dyno)
LesBaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 04:48 PM   #2
AdmAnt13

Drives: '16 Red Hot 2SS M6 NPP
Very nice information. I may pick one of these up for my own info. Thanks!

'16 2SS, M6, Borla Atak
AdmAnt13 is offline   Reply With Quote