Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-23-2019, 09:16 AM   #6679
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-99SS View Post
Let's hope it isn't half-assed...the Raptor is a formidable off-roader - it will take an incredible factory build to run with it.
Aside from the newest V's for Cadillac, I can't remember the last time GM halfassed an actual performance model. They've even started to up the handling when you get the RS appearance package in recent years.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 12:45 PM   #6680
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Let's hope it isn't half-assed...the Raptor is a formidable off-roader - it will take an incredible factory build to run with it.
More power, and the ZR2 would take the Raptor as is.
Old 08-23-2019, 01:00 PM   #6681
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
More power, and the ZR2 would take the Raptor as is.
This. Although the Raptor is a welcome performance variant, It's not exactly an "incredible factory build" itself. Ford didn't put any magical components in it that any other manufacturer couldn't come up with.
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 01:56 PM   #6682
NW-99SS

Drives: 1999 Camaro SS M6 - SBE LS1
I'm confused - are you guys referring to the Ranger Raptor or F150 - because GM has no suspension package that even comes close the F150 Fox package.

And I'm a GM truck guy...
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
NW-99SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 02:14 PM   #6683
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
I'm confused - are you guys referring to the Ranger Raptor or F150 - because GM has no suspension package that even comes close the F150 Fox package.

I haven't seen or heard of the Raptor Ranger, can't speak of it. I'm referring to the F150 Raptor. It's not a turd, but it's not world ending offroad technology. The most recent version is very similar to the ZR2. GM has been doing active suspension for years. Not sure why it took them so long to apply it to an offroad vehicle like the zr2 though.
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 03:04 PM   #6684
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:

Seeing as there is no North American Ranger Raptor, I figured they were talking about the F-150.

What makes the suspension on the F150 Raptor so unbelievably superior to the DSSV shocks on the ZR2? They both provide dynamic damping profiles based on conditions (on road, off-road, jumping), just in different ways. One uses electronics, the other is purely mechanical.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 08:08 AM   #6685
NW-99SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Seeing as there is no North American Ranger Raptor, I figured they were talking about the F-150.

What makes the suspension on the F150 Raptor so unbelievably superior to the DSSV shocks on the ZR2? They both provide dynamic damping profiles based on conditions (on road, off-road, jumping), just in different ways. One uses electronics, the other is purely mechanical.
The F150 Raptor is so much more than shocks...wider stance, stronger A-Arms, different body, and the Fox shocks for off-roading are far superior to DSSV.

Speaking of which, DSSVs are not electronic, I assume you are referring to Magneride. DSSV are Multimatic spool valve shocks, completely mechanical as well.
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
Old 08-26-2019, 08:29 AM   #6686
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Quote:

Quote:
The F150 Raptor is so much more than shocks...wider stance, stronger A-Arms, different body, and the Fox shocks for off-roading are far superior to DSSV.

Speaking of which, DSSVs are not electronic, I assume you are referring to Magneride. DSSV are Multimatic spool valve shocks, completely mechanical as well.
I'm quite perplexed. Are you sure you're not trolling us?

I have ridden in both the new Raptor and the ZR2 dozens of times. Each of my friends has one. The topic is subjective, but the DSSV's were clear and away, much better both on & off road than the FOX Shocks. Smoother ride, more stable and better rebounding. If you enjoy nut-hugging the new Raptor, that's cool with me and you're obviously entitled to your own opinion.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 09:05 AM   #6687
NW-99SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKS1D3 View Post
I'm quite perplexed. Are you sure you're not trolling us?

I have ridden in both the new Raptor and the ZR2 dozens of times. Each of my friends has one. The topic is subjective, but the DSSV's were clear and away, much better both on & off road than the FOX Shocks. Smoother ride, more stable and better rebounding. If you enjoy nut-hugging the new Raptor, that's cool with me and you're obviously entitled to your own opinion.
I'm not trolling - and own a GM truck. Just my experience with the local offroad people who do own these trucks in my area.
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
Old 08-26-2019, 09:17 AM   #6688
DRKS1D3

Quote:
I'm not trolling - and own a GM truck. Just my experience with the local offroad people who do own these trucks in my area.
So, the local off-road guys that own Ford Raptors, tell you that the Raptor is better than the ZR2? I tell ya, I'm shocked.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
Old 08-26-2019, 09:52 AM   #6689
NW-99SS

Quote:
So, the local off-road guys that own Ford Raptors, tell you that the Raptor is better than the ZR2? I tell ya, I'm shocked.
Now who's trolling...

The local guys who own both, put them both to the test, have mature discussions, and who I work with and ride along with...

My comment about half-assed was directed to the half-tons anyway...you are comparing the ride of a 1/4 ton truck to a 1/2 ton.

Do you own a GM truck?
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
Old 08-26-2019, 10:01 AM   #6690
DRKS1D3

Quote:
Now who's trolling...

The local guys who own both, put them both to the test, have mature discussions, and who I work with and ride along with...

My comment about half-assed was directed to the half-tons anyway...you are comparing the ride of a 1/4 ton truck to a 1/2 ton.

Do you own a GM truck?
I'm trolling? LOL! Ok bud.

I'm not arguing with you. As I said, it's subjective. If you feel that the Raptor's FOX shocks are superior to GM's DSSV's, so be it. Again, everyone is free to express their opinion.

No, I do not own a GM truck, however, I am a GM guy that only purchases GM vehicles. My Dad owns GM trucks and gets a new Silverado LTZ every 4-5 years. What does this have to do with comparing the shocks of these two trucks? I see no correlation whatsoever. Fill me in.

Old 08-26-2019, 10:28 AM   #6691
NW-99SS

Quote:
I'm trolling? LOL! Ok bud.

I'm not arguing with you. As I said, it's subjective. If you feel that the Raptor's FOX shocks are superior to GM's DSSV's, so be it. Again, everyone is free to express their opinion.

No, I do not own a GM truck, however, I am a GM guy that only purchases GM vehicles. My Dad owns GM trucks and gets a new Silverado LTZ every 4-5 years. What does this have to do with comparing the shocks of these two trucks? I see no correlation whatsoever. Fill me in.
Agreed on varied opinions...we disagree based on two different segment of trucks. I am hoping GM steps up their 1/2 ton off-road capabilities based on past offerings that didn't compete with the Raptors...I wasn't planning on including 1/4 tons as that's a different class altogether.

For the record, GM doesn't own the DSSVs, those are Mulitmatics's tech, in the same way Ford doesn't own the Fox's.
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
Old 08-26-2019, 10:31 AM   #6692
DRKS1D3

Quote:
Agreed on varied opinions...we disagree based on two different segment of trucks. I am hoping GM steps up their 1/2 ton off-road capabilities based on past offerings that didn't compete with the Raptors...I wasn't planning on including 1/4 tons as that's a different class altogether.

For the record, GM doesn't own the DSSVs, those are Mulitmatics's tech, in the same way Ford doesn't own the Fox's.
That is correct. Both suspensions are produced by outside companies and are then utilized on these trucks. The same can be said about Brembo brakes, Recaro seats, etc., etc., etc..

Tags
fenwickhockey65, gm questions, questions