Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-02-2023, 09:44 PM   #43
The Zebra

Drives: '24 ZL1 A10, '70 Olds 442 W-30
and $12
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenZLE View Post
A government inflation calculator would be the dead last thing I would use for calculating inflation and the CPI inflation calculations are on the low side when comparing the historical prices of everyday goods and commodities.
Still, even that results in a minimum wage of over $12/hr
And $15 per hr is 25% MORE than $12 per hr. End of story
The Zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 11:15 PM   #44
GreenZLE

Drives: 2020 Rally Green ZL1-1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zebra View Post
and $12

And $15 per hr is 25% MORE than $12 per hr. End of story
A bit less than that, about 18% as the number was $12.37, but again, the government doesnt seem to be transparent about actual dollar values.

The factor of inflation since 1975 is around 7X when you average food prices, fuel, energy, and commodities such as metals not focusing on just gold.

Unfortunately, inflation hasnt run its course yet and copper will likely go up even more in the next year. I work in the electrical field and the raw materials we purchase have gone up 30% in the last 2-3 years and we were told they will be going up again.

Everyone I work with is frustrated that their income has effectively gone down 30% or more.
GreenZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 11:19 PM   #45
genxer

Drives: multiple cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by olrocker View Post
They've studied hard, forgone many nights hanging out with friends to do homework or study for mid-terms and finals, and dedicated at least 4 years of their life to understanding engineering and design concepts that are completely foreign and impossible to anyone who hasn't.
I reject putting engineers on that pedestal. I have a brother with a masters in engineering. Most don't use much of what they were exposed to. Universities are hoop jumping to weed out people, but also bias toward establishment obedience.

The real economy has been a picture of theft of risk averse cash savers.
https://www.shadowstats.com/alternat...flation-charts
genxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 11:44 PM   #46
The Zebra

Quote:
A bit less than that, about 18% as the number was $12.37, but again, the government doesnt seem to be transparent about actual dollar values.

The factor of inflation since 1975 is around 7X when you average food prices, fuel, energy, and commodities such as metals not focusing on just gold.

Unfortunately, inflation hasnt run its course yet and copper will likely go up even more in the next year. I work in the electrical field and the raw materials we purchase have gone up 30% in the last 2-3 years and we were told they will be going up again.

Everyone I work with is frustrated that their income has effectively gone down 30% or more.
$15 > $12
Old 10-03-2023, 06:34 AM   #47
olrocker

Drives: People crazy with my sexiness
Quote:
Originally Posted by genxer View Post
I reject putting engineers on that pedestal. I have a brother with a masters in engineering. Most don't use much of what they were exposed to. Universities are hoop jumping to weed out people, but also bias toward establishment obedience.

Where does he work and what EXACTLY does he do every day?

Maybe he spends his day at his desk drinking energy drinks and playing video games on his computer.

I'm talking about real engineers, those who design things like, uh, cars...... I'm sure computers assist in a lot of what they do but lets just take the electrical system in any modern car for example...... gone are the days where your power window switch is a simple 12 volt switch that triggers a relay that sends 12 volts + or - from the alternator or battery to the power window motor. Today they're CANBUS and ethernet and the switch goes to the body control module.

The folks who design modern car electronics systems are definitely real engineers who can recite not only Ohms law in their sleep but every equation in physics and electricity related. They still work things out to make sure the vast electronic load on a car is properly balanced. Maybe it's on a computer now instead of on graph paper with a slide rule but they still need to know how to accurately calculate things before they design them. They absolutely belong on a pedestal above anyone in a factory and your brother is not an accurate or realistic depiction of what they actually do.

I don't give a ats rass if your brother is a waste of an engineer. Sounds like he wouldn't make it in the real world where the big boys work. If that's your opinion of engineers, based on his uselessness, you need to find people who do REAL engineering work and talk to them.
Sharkskin/Light gray
Moonroof/Navi/NPP/Mag Ride/Red Brake Calipers
Gray painted split spoke wheels
Illuminated footwells/illuminated bowtie
olrocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2023, 09:01 AM   #48
The Zebra

Quote:
Originally Posted by genxer View Post

Don't you just love terms like, "Risk averse cash savers"? ugggghhhh

Quit the soft peddling, just say, "Dummies"
Old 10-03-2023, 09:06 AM   #49
The Zebra

Quote:
Originally Posted by len125 View Post
lansing delta or grand river, they will all probably be on strike sooner or later...
Debbie Downer wah wahh wahhhhhh
Old 10-03-2023, 10:04 AM   #50
GreenZLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zebra View Post
$15 > $12
$14.70 is less than $15 to be precise.

At any rate, I hope the union gets most of what they're asking for because it will put more pressure on my non union employers to increase my own pay to keep up with inflation.
Old 10-03-2023, 10:47 AM   #51
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
Quote:
At any rate, I hope the union gets most of what they're asking for because it will put more pressure on my non union employers to increase my own pay to keep up with inflation.
Which everyone will just pay for in goods and services on the backend anyway when said company passes it along to the consumer, including you.

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2023, 10:48 AM   #52

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Gee, I had no idea these poor autoworkers have only been making minimum wages since 1972...No wonder their union wants a 30-40% raise!...lol

Name:  baby-boy-6-11-months-in-high-chair-crying-eyes-closed-C3R398.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  99.4 KB

Last edited by 90503; 10-03-2023 at 11:17 AM.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2023, 12:34 PM   #53
GreenZLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by snizzle View Post
Which everyone will just pay for in goods and services on the backend anyway when said company passes it along to the consumer, including you.

Well, all my customers are already paying 30%+ and more for the products I sell, I'm already paying XX% more for groceries, gas, etc.

Eventually, the people who are end users have to get more money too, otherwise, they wont be able to afford things.
Old 10-03-2023, 12:35 PM   #54
olrocker

Drives: People crazy with my sexiness
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Gee, I had no idea these poor autoworkers have only been making minimum wages since 1972...No wonder their union wants a 30-40% raise!...lol
The thing is, it was right about that time that the unions started getting a bad reputation. Until then I think the unions all across America were well regarded for what they accomplished in the 1930s-60s in getting fairer pay, safer work environments, and generally higher level of living.

But by the 70s they'd become so powerful, they were now controlling the companies. This is when the floor sweepers got $20/hr and guys would have their buddies punch them in on the clock while they didn't show up to work that day. Or week. And the missing screws in assemblies, bolts not torqued down to spec, or the best thing I remember reading, someone who picks up their brand new Chevy hears a bad rattle in the door. Takes it back to the dealer, they take off the door panel, and inside is an empty beer can.

What's their motto? Work union, live better? Got that right!!
Sharkskin/Light gray
Moonroof/Navi/NPP/Mag Ride/Red Brake Calipers
Gray painted split spoke wheels
Illuminated footwells/illuminated bowtie
olrocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2023, 12:42 PM   #55
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
Quote:
Well, all my customers are already paying 30%+ and more for the products I sell, I'm already paying XX% more for groceries, gas, etc.

Eventually, the people who are end users have to get more money too, otherwise, they wont be able to afford things.
You should be angry at our federal government on that topic (inflation) given their excessive spending (both parties i'll admit), not the automakers trying to profit in a tight industry. The unions want to cut their profits in half on each vehicle. Elections have consequences.

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2023, 04:04 PM   #56
The Zebra

Quote:
Originally Posted by snizzle View Post
You should be angry at our federal government on that topic (inflation) given their excessive spending (both parties i'll admit), not the automakers trying to profit in a tight industry. The unions want to cut their profits in half on each vehicle. Elections have consequences.
^THIS^