Homepage Garage Wiki Register Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum


Phastek Performance


Post Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2020, 06:33 PM   #1
Jbanta1983
 
Drives: 2019 2ss 1LE
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Kennett square, PA
Posts: 307
Axle back with npp

Looking for any opinions on the best sounding axle back exhaust that has the npp option, I've been looking at borla atak and s-type but I'm hearing they don't make much difference. I'm looking for a louder rumble at idle and somewhat throaty tone if that makes sense. I don't mind the rasp of the stock npp I'm just looking for something more aggressive. And yes I have searched the forums and did not find the answer I was looking for so I decided to start a new thread... please don't mention headers or anything else that would void my warranty

Last edited by Jbanta1983; 03-11-2020 at 06:47 PM.
Jbanta1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 06:34 PM   #2
Tricksta


 
Tricksta's Avatar
 
Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Leipsic,Ohio
Posts: 3,804
duplicate of a post you made recently... ?
__________________
Modifications
GM Dark Tail Lights / 3rd Brake Light & Reflectors | LED Reverse Lights | Diode Dynamics Side Markers | Borla "ATAK" Cat Back Exhaust
Tricksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 06:44 PM   #3
Jbanta1983
 
Drives: 2019 2ss 1LE
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Kennett square, PA
Posts: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricksta View Post
duplicate of a post you made recently... ?
I decided against the borla, I'm looking for opinions on all options available
Jbanta1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 06:45 PM   #4
Jbanta1983
 
Drives: 2019 2ss 1LE
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Kennett square, PA
Posts: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricksta View Post
duplicate of a post you made recently... ?

Does it look like a duplicate??
Jbanta1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 08:48 AM   #5
Lebowski
 
Drives: 2017 Camaro RS - V6
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Louisville, Ky
Posts: 26
What does NPP stand for? Thanks....
__________________
2017 RS / yellow / no stripes / 11k miles
Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 10:16 AM   #6
FoundNemo
 
Drives: 2019 ZL1
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: GA
Posts: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbanta1983 View Post
Looking for any opinions on the best sounding axle back exhaust that has the npp option, I've been looking at borla atak and s-type but I'm hearing they don't make much difference. I'm looking for a louder rumble at idle and somewhat throaty tone if that makes sense. I don't mind the rasp of the stock npp I'm just looking for something more aggressive. And yes I have searched the forums and did not find the answer I was looking for so I decided to start a new thread... please don't mention headers or anything else that would void my warranty
Honest opinion, I disconnected the valves in the open position (just unplug them) from the stock NPP axle back. Since the car keeps them closed until a certain throttle position, even in track mode, unplugging them adds a nice tone throughout the rpm range over track mode at all throttle below the threshold it uses to open them. It sets a soft CEL that wont illuminate a check engine light and it goes away after you plug them back in.

I have no need for more after unplugging fyi, its free, give it a shot. Warranty safe too, not really any drone either as the muffler pathways that remain in place almost act as helmholtz resonators to kill drone, while allowing max flow.
FoundNemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 10:34 AM   #7
Jb54
 
Drives: 2019 Camaro SS M6
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 181
You should check out the mishimoto pro axelback quad setup. I don't have one, but the sound clips of it sound really good. Exactly what you are looking for, according to your post. Pricey , but all 304 stainless(even the clamps). Also minimal manufacturer name etching on it also. Just a small "M" on the side of the tip. Always hated that about some of the others. They feel they have to put their big ugly logo all over it. Downside, no npp option yet, but I do believe it's in development as they told me in an email I received from them asking that very question. That is the only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger on one of these systems.

Last edited by Jb54; 03-12-2020 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Add
Jb54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 02:24 PM   #8
Coded4SS
 
Drives: 2020 1SS 1le
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: SO CAL
Posts: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoundNemo View Post
Honest opinion, I disconnected the valves in the open position (just unplug them) from the stock NPP axle back. Since the car keeps them closed until a certain throttle position, even in track mode, unplugging them adds a nice tone throughout the rpm range over track mode at all throttle below the threshold it uses to open them. It sets a soft CEL that wont illuminate a check engine light and it goes away after you plug them back in.

I have no need for more after unplugging fyi, its free, give it a shot. Warranty safe too, not really any drone either as the muffler pathways that remain in place almost act as helmholtz resonators to kill drone, while allowing max flow.
Or just pull the fuse
Coded4SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 02:40 PM   #9
Alpha1BC

 
Alpha1BC's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 895
For an axle-back that keeps NPP functionality and changes idle sound per your description, I'd say check out either the Flowmaster 817746 or the MBRP S7039AL. If you don't care about keeping NPP functionality, look for one that has quad tips and very little or no type of muffling. Disabling NPP on the stock system won't sound any different than sport/track modes.
__________________
2017 SS 1LE.
Alpha1BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 03:40 PM   #10
Abubaca
 
Abubaca's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 SS
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Jamestown NC
Posts: 387
Quote:
Disabling NPP on the stock system won't sound any different than sport/track modes.

While it does technically still close the valves at times in Track mode....I agree with this. I pulled the fuse and couldn't notice any difference.




I had the NPP and swapped out for an AWE touring axleback. I know we all have different wants and needs, but I was very disappointed with the NPP. My thought before owning was that it went from normal to loud. In reality, I felt it went from stealth quiet to normal. Never really got loud. The only time I don't wanna be loud is early/late around the neighborhood, and when steady cruising on the highway. Both are under 2000 RPMs, and the AWE is hardly any louder than stock at this level.
Abubaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 03:41 PM   #11
easttxss
 
easttxss's Avatar
 
Drives: '16 2SS M6
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Hughes Springs, TX
Posts: 87
Stainless Works make a nice sounding system too.
__________________
David
'16 2SS M6 black on black, SW long tube full exhaust, NPP, Roto-fab CAI
'16 2SS M6 black w/Metallic black stripes, Kalahari, 6 piston front (totaled 1/22/20)
'14 Fusion Titanium 2.0T
'83 Jeep Wagoneer
easttxss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 04:53 PM   #12
enzia35


 
Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: College Station, TX
Posts: 3,326
Missing out by skipping Borla.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showp...51&postcount=5
__________________
'16 Camaro 1SS
'18 Miata GT
Gone: '01 Camaro, '14 Camaro, '90 Miata
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 06:39 PM   #13
Jbanta1983
 
Drives: 2019 2ss 1LE
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Kennett square, PA
Posts: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by enzia35 View Post
You think its worth 1600?? I just wish I could hear it in person
Jbanta1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 06:43 PM   #14
enzia35


 
Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: College Station, TX
Posts: 3,326
I paid way less than that.
__________________
'16 Camaro 1SS
'18 Miata GT
Gone: '01 Camaro, '14 Camaro, '90 Miata
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Post Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.