Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 10-04-2022, 04:33 AM   #29
vampire

Drives: '19 M2C / '19 ZL1
i was shopping for a 2SS with 1LE package but factoring in end of camaro, i went with a ZL1 which will have better resale value where i live.
vampire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 05:39 AM   #30
SteveV

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Camaro 6M Red Hot
I am 55 years old and bought a ZL1 coupe with 6 speed manual 4 years ago. While I did initially plan on a few track days, having parents in their 70s with health issues prevented me from getting to the 2 track days I had signed up for over the years, so I never actually made it to the track.

That said, I love my ZL1. The people who say is it overkill are nuts. This thing can be as beastly or as docile as you want it to be. Last year, I had to attend a funeral in Charleston, SC and since all 6 of us could not fit in the wife's SUV, my youngest Son and I took the ZL1 while my wife and other 2 kids took the SUV (the 6th is a 122 pound German Shepperd). I was averaging 26mpg on I-95 with the ZL1. Didn't buy this for gas mileage, but was very pleasantly surprised.

I have just over 26k miles on her now and have ZERO regrets. Even though I did get bit by the oil pump failure at 16k miles.

So, go option 2. You will NOT regret it.
Old 10-04-2022, 08:14 AM   #31
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
64 years old here and really enjoy my ZL1 every time I drive it. The way it runs and handles is amazing and the sound of the supercharger is music to my ears. It has perfect manners for street driving if you control your right foot and it’s a blast to drive with the M6 6 speed trans. Since you are buying a new Camaro for the long haul, I would go with the ZL1 because if you don’t you may have regrets later and can’t buy new. There’s nothing wrong with a 2SS as I had one before owning a ZL1. I was very lucky to find a very low mileage used 2017 ZL1 back in 2019 that was priced right and since have no regrets getting a ZL1. Mine was a low option car that is perfect for me and was the main reason I decided on it verses a 2019 SS 1LE which I didn’t have any plans to track either car. My suggestion is to get the ZL1.��
Old 10-04-2022, 08:48 AM   #32
razorwired

Drives: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22LT1Camaro View Post
If answers are limited to the two you offered then I would choose the ZL1 because I wouldn't mind 650HP, and wind/sun in my face on the highway gets old after a while. If you like open-air cruising then consider a ZL1 convertible and skimp on a few options.

I too wanted a Vette, so I bought a C5 and a nicely equipped LT1. I choose the LT1 because, like yourself, I'm not tracking the car and it comes with all-seasons that are more suitable for my travels. I had no interest in paying for any aesthetic packages or options...

Other considerations...

Will it be your only car, will you keep an SUV?

Is this your "forever car" - will you ever sell it or trade it?

Can you buy top-tier and still budget for insurance, maintenance, aftermarket accessories you want - ie; paint-protection film, a roof/port/garage/shed to park it in, under-dash radar detector?

Are summer tires appropriate if you'll be driving this all year, potential traveling considered?

Sorry to ramble, but, this would be my thought process. I've had track-tuned cars that made my teeth chatter when hitting a bump that felt like a bad marriage after the honeymoon period wore off.

Congrats with your future purchase.
I will always have a truck (currently in a 3500 HD Denali) and my wife wont drive anything but an SUV. This is a one-time purchase and a car I'll never sell. It will be garage kept.

I do like a road trip and see myself making trips to Colorado, Utah, North Carolina and Tennessee in the car. Expect the MRC to help make the ride pleasant until I get to the good stuff.
razorwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 08:55 AM   #33
razorwired

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4Greg View Post
64 years old here and really enjoy my ZL1 every time I drive it. The way it runs and handles is amazing and the sound of the supercharger is music to my ears. It has perfect manners for street driving if you control your right foot and it’s a blast to drive with the M6 6 speed trans. Since you are buying a new Camaro for the long haul, I would go with the ZL1 because if you don’t you may have regrets later and can’t buy new. There’s nothing wrong with a 2SS as I had one before owning a ZL1. I was very lucky to find a very low mileage used 2017 ZL1 back in 2019 that was priced right and since have no regrets getting a ZL1. Mine was a low option car that is perfect for me and was the main reason I decided on it verses a 2019 SS 1LE which I didn’t have any plans to track either car. My suggestion is to get the ZL1.��
Regret of having a chance to buy a ZL1 and then passing on it is frankly the biggest reason it's on the list. Supercharged cars are definitely going away for good.
Old 10-04-2022, 09:01 AM   #34
razorwired

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
I am 55 years old and bought a ZL1 coupe with 6 speed manual 4 years ago. While I did initially plan on a few track days, having parents in their 70s with health issues prevented me from getting to the 2 track days I had signed up for over the years, so I never actually made it to the track.

That said, I love my ZL1. The people who say is it overkill are nuts. This thing can be as beastly or as docile as you want it to be. Last year, I had to attend a funeral in Charleston, SC and since all 6 of us could not fit in the wife's SUV, my youngest Son and I took the ZL1 while my wife and other 2 kids took the SUV (the 6th is a 122 pound German Shepperd). I was averaging 26mpg on I-95 with the ZL1. Didn't buy this for gas mileage, but was very pleasantly surprised.

I have just over 26k miles on her now and have ZERO regrets. Even though I did get bit by the oil pump failure at 16k miles.

So, go option 2. You will NOT regret it.
I've always been impressed with GM's ability to make a high-powered car very comfortable to drive in everyday conditions. 122 Lb GS - now that's a beast!
Old 10-04-2022, 09:05 AM   #35
razorwired

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampire View Post
i was shopping for a 2SS with 1LE package but factoring in end of camaro, i went with a ZL1 which will have better resale value where i live.
I'm not really interested in resale (my nephews/nieces might be though ). Having an end of era SC Camaro is motivating though for sure!
Old 10-04-2022, 09:19 AM   #36
Jus Cruisin
Old Gearhead

Drives: 2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate
One, 50 something is far from old now. I've owned fast/quick vehicles all of my life. From Corvettes (8 of them including a Z06), Kawasaki ZX14, barely legal full tube chassis 67 Chevy II, Roush Mustangs.
I don't care for the C8's. If I had to have a Corvette right now it would find a super low mile C7 Grand Sport. My Roush Mustangs would handle way past my abilities pulling over 1.05 cornering g's.
I just bought a 2023 ZL1 convertible. Do I need it? Of course not but I want it. Oh, by the way, I'm getting close to 72...
Attached Images

Old 10-04-2022, 09:59 AM   #37
Realist

Drives: No Camaro :(
Go with the ZL1 and get the sunroof if you can handle losing the reverse mohawk roofline. I think long term if you go with any other trim you may have regrets. The ZL1 is only as fast as the go pedal is pressed.
Realist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 10:09 AM   #38
razorwired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus Cruisin View Post
One, 50 something is far from old now. I've owned fast/quick vehicles all of my life. From Corvettes (8 of them including a Z06), Kawasaki ZX14, barely legal full tube chassis 67 Chevy II, Roush Mustangs.
I don't care for the C8's. If I had to have a Corvette right now it would find a super low mile C7 Grand Sport. My Roush Mustangs would handle way past my abilities pulling over 1.05 cornering g's.
I just bought a 2023 ZL1 convertible. Do I need it? Of course not but I want it. Oh, by the way, I'm getting close to 72...
Man - love those wheels on the ZL1! If I go 2SS convertible, I'll be on the lookout for a set of those.
Old 10-04-2022, 10:55 AM   #39
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorwired View Post
I also hear you on OPTION #3 - 2ss with 1LE. The 1LE trim package pulled me into the Camaro (my nephew is a big Camaro 1LE fan) world initially.

However - I'll never track the car. I'll never use what the 1LE package offers.

I'll never use what the ZL1 offers either - but it's an "end of an era" super-charged Iconic American Sports Car.
This is exactly why I upgraded my order from a 2SS 1LE to a ZL1.

The resale will also be better if I ever have to sell it.
Old 10-04-2022, 04:08 PM   #40
Subcool

Drives: 2022 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorwired View Post
Great! I'm interested in knowing what swayed you to 1LE when you didn't plan on tracking? On the convertible, I've optioned the Magnetic Ride Control and Adaptive Exhaust. I think they have similar cooling and brakes? 1LE has ELSD and the convertible has simpler LSD. 1LE has wider wheels for sure but could swap aftermarket.
Honestly I sold my Z because Michigan has stupid insurance rates. 1LE was way less insurance, and I can mod it. I like the recaro seats the best and the look of the 1LE. also, it has the ELSD which you can’t add after the fact. but I’m sure a two SS with mag ride would be good too.
Subcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 04:17 PM   #41
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
I'm not going to debate ZL1 vs SS. Both are too fast for public roads, so if you want to fully enjoy the power, you need to go to the track or the drag strip.

So, that would rule out the convertible for me, since you can't track one without a roll bar.

The only other comment I have is that the sun roof is butt ugly, as it ruins the roofline.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 05:32 PM   #42
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
I agree with you about the sunroof Rock-It Man and that was the main reason I wanted a ZL1 without one!��