Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-03-2022, 11:49 AM   #1
JustinKriz

Drives: 2018 Chevy Camaro 1LT RS
Camaro V6 Track Day Equipment

Hello all! First 'real' post here, so I apologize if I format this incorrectly!
In June, I purchased my first 'fun car', with the dual purpose of having a fun daily, as well as occasional track usage. When I dived into the rabbit hole of looking into track day/ HPDE prep, I found loads of information on SS and ZL1's, but very little on the V6 platform, and basically zero on the non-1LE V6 platform.
I figured, for my first several attempts on track (Road America), I won't need anything heavy duty, just some high-temp brake fluid and track-worthy pads, plus some track insurance, and let 'er rip!
My question is, what recommendations does anyone have for track-worthy brake pads on a V6 car, along with brake fluid preferences? I have seen good things about ATE Type200 and Motul RBF600, but I admit I know absolutely zero about ANY brake fluid, much less what would be preferable for my needs. Any input is GREATLY appreciated! Thank you all!
JustinKriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 11:55 AM   #2
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
alignment brake pads and fluid and send it! lol roostie on here has a v6 1le and he tracks his alot
Old 10-03-2022, 01:01 PM   #3
Gen6cyl

Drives: Chevy Camaro 2021 ,rs, v6, manual
The factory alignment is no good for performance driving. Look up track alignment for gen 6. I did 1.3 neg camber on front and .9 neg camber rear and 1\32 toe all corners. It made it drive and handle a lot better. I changed tranny and diff oil a few weeks ago at 37 k miles. It was so easy , shifts better now. I think the lgx is a great engine.I don't track mine so brakes are ok so far. Roostie can help you with brakes.
Gen6cyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 01:06 PM   #4
JustinKriz

Thank you!!! I will make a note for alignment! (:
Old 10-03-2022, 03:03 PM   #5
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen6cyl View Post
The factory alignment is no good for performance driving. Look up track alignment for gen 6. I did 1.3 neg camber on front and .9 neg camber rear and 1\32 toe all corners. It made it drive and handle a lot better.
For someone who tracks a lot, I would recommend at least -2 front camber and -1.25 rear camber as recommend for the V6 1LE (even though yous is just the V6) in the Camaro track preparation document. I suspect you would cord the outside edges of the front tires early at -1.3 front camber if you drive hard at a few track weekends. Ideally just max both front and rear camber (with the left and right side exactly matching on the front and rear) if you don't do much street driving but you might wear the inside edges of the front tires early if you do too much street driving. Assuming the stock alignment adjustment parts are the same as they are on the SS, front max is probably -2.4 to -2.8 and rear is -1.4 to -1.8.

Also check the latest version of the high performance owner's manual supplement but I guess you should probably use 0W-40 Dexos2 oil if it doesn't already have it and add 1 extra quart of oil for track use for your car since the engine is the same as the one in the V6 LT 1LE: "For LT 1LE, add 0.9L (1.0 qt) of oil over the nominal fill level for track events. After the competitive driving, remove excess oil so that the level on the dipstick is not above the upper mark that shows the proper operating range."
cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 04:17 PM   #6
dpevans

Drives: 2024 Riverside Blue 2SS 1LE
Agree with most that was said. I started tracking my V6 M6 last year and ran with Goodrich comp 2s last year with stock alignment specs, upgrade with G Loc pads R10 fronts and R8 back, SRF fluid, changed trans fluid and rear end at beginning and end of season. I was able to get 6 session on the front pads so I reordered a new set for this year. I change over to 0w40 Mobil Dexs2 full sys and I DO NOT overfill and have never had an issue with low oil pressure.(I believe the 1LE has an oil cooler is why they add .8) Every document I have read from GM I never seen to add extra oil to the LGX except the 1LE. This year I bought a set of staggered rims and Eagle F1 SC3 245/35/20 front 285/30/20 back and learned a valuable lesson, The JL9 base RPO brake system will not handle the heat the Eagle SC3 grip gives you. I had stock calipers, R1 Geomet slotted rotors, GLoc R10 pads and the single piston calipers will not hold up to that much grip and bite and creates too much heat. I destroyed the caliper pistons, dust covers, and warped the backing plates on the pads. I rebuilt the calipers and the inner seal looked ok. Rears looked fine and the original set of GLoc R8 on the back have another season left on them. I have track addict app and with that combination I was consistently hitting 1.0/1.15 lateral Gs and hit 1.25 a few times. This winter I plan on upgrading the fronts brakes to at least 4 piston and probably Hawk blue pads, add performance coil overs, and front and rear sway bars and end links or look around for a used SS 1LE. I really do miss the power coming out of the corners into the straight aways. I use track alignment -2.0 front/-1.25 back camber 1 degree toe.
dpevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 08:35 PM   #7
Gen6cyl

Interesting story about your brake failure.It makes sense. I drive mine about 400 miles a week.I got it new and now have 37k miles. I'm happy with the engine , I think the handling needs improvement. So far I have got summer tires , Bilstein struts and shocks and a performance alignment. All changes have made it drive and handle better. Much more engaging. I am also interested in the SS 1le swaybars which I think are same as zl1. Funny how the front end links are plastic on the fe2 suspension.
Old 10-05-2022, 08:01 AM   #8
JustinKriz

Thank you everyone for the tips and advice!!! It is MUCH appreciated!

Does anyone have any brake pad or fluid recommendations, or have a way to get this thread in front of Roostie? Thanks!
Old 10-05-2022, 09:37 AM   #9
Gen6cyl

Last I heard he was trying EBC blue stuff pads.
Old 10-07-2022, 08:48 AM   #10
ZL1Kraut

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinKriz View Post
Thank you everyone for the tips and advice!!! It is MUCH appreciated!

Does anyone have any brake pad or fluid recommendations, or have a way to get this thread in front of Roostie? Thanks!
I always use Motul600 with great results.
ZL1Kraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 02:59 PM   #11
Voltwings

Drives: 22 1SS 1LE
Motul RBF 600 - I'm sure there are plenty of good fluids, but that's been my go to for 10 years and it's given me no reason to switch yet.

For brake pads, understand that you can't have your cake and eat it too. Without going too far into the weeds, no pad is going to work well on the street and the track, I don't care what anyone tries to sell you.

I'd recommend G-Loc pads, because they have a "street" compound that plays nice with their "track" compounds so you can swap pads back and forth and not have to worry about different transfer layers, or "bedding" the pads in. Again, I'm sure there are plenty of good brands, but this is what I use and they've given me no reason to switch yet.

The GS-1 is a phenomenal street pad, but you have to be careful with track pads because you can very easily overwhelm your tires and you'll be riding the ABS all day. I wouldn't go over a G-Loc R-10 unless you've got some 200 TW tires, or better. Understand that track pads also have very little cold performance and will squeal / have low stopping power on the street when they're cold; and realize we mean cold by a brake pad's standard, which can still be a few hundred degrees. This is why you'll want to switch back and forth between your GS-1 and your R-10s.

I've got an SS 1LE, so I may be taking for granted what all the 6th gen comes with, but is there any sort of brake ducting or cooling on your car from factory?
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 03:11 PM   #12
JustinKriz

Thanks for the input Volt, I will look into those options, I greatly appreciate it! Nope, no real ducting, so I will have to come up with something, which is partially why I asked; I have seen basically no track info for LT cars. Thanks!
Old 10-24-2022, 10:33 PM   #13
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
For brake pads, understand that you can't have your cake and eat it too. Without going too far into the weeds, no pad is going to work well on the street and the track, I don't care what anyone tries to sell you.
The OEM Brembo Ferodo HP1000/1 pads on the SS 1LE are the closest I have seen to a dual use pad. The only downside is a lot of dust but no noise on the street and they wear rotors very slowly compared to the high torque dedicated track pads you mentioned which also make annoying noises on the street and stop poorly for at least the first few stops on the street.

JustinKriz you could buy a set of front 4 piston calipers and rotors from a wrecked Camaro SS (non-1LE) and swap them in. GM might also sell new ones as a kit but idk. I believe they use the same Ferodo compound that I mentioned above. I would avoid getting the optional BCD copper free brakes from a 2022 or newer because those use a different pad compound and the rotor size is probably overkill for a V6 Camaro and those calipers might be too big to comfortably clear the stock V6 Camaro wheels.
cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 08:43 AM   #14
Voltwings

Drives: 22 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrptrks View Post
The OEM Brembo Ferodo HP1000/1 pads on the SS 1LE are the closest I have seen to a dual use pad. The only downside is a lot of dust but no noise on the street and they wear rotors very slowly compared to the high torque dedicated track pads you mentioned which also make annoying noises on the street and stop poorly for at least the first few stops on the street.
Correct, in that surface area is really the only way to get around that, I just didn't want to add another variable that may confuse folks. It is an interesting topic though as companies like Porsche basically use that train of thought; "There's no such thing as have your cake and eat it too," unless you put a 15+" rotor on a 3200 lb car haha. Then you have plenty of heat capacity in a more tame "street" pad compound.

On what I'm assuming are standard V6 brakes in OPs case though, he would likely have to pick one or the other. Your suggestion of moving up brakes is probably best though, because there will likely be more pad options (and better options) compared to the V6 size I'm guessing?
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote