Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 07-11-2016, 03:41 PM   #15
7rank

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '13 Sierra SLT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whis View Post
I need to turn mine around or COMPLETELY remove it as, thanks to the government, the forward tilt is ruining my experience with this car.

Googled angled headrest and found out we have the NHTSA to thank for this incredibly stupid, unergonomic design for "whiplash protection"

Also found some camaro5 threads where people were trying to remove theirs and there were two buttons. I can only find one, on the side of the rest. There are none at the base that I can find. This is cause to get rid of the car for me as I have added lumbar support and it still is $#%*($%* infuriatingly painful after an extended period of time.

ANY HELP would greatly be appreciated.
well I have some good news! and some bad news!
The good news is, that I got the headrest off...
the bad news is, you have to remove the whole seat from the vehicle and remove the seat cover to access the top of the seat inside to remove 2 little pins that hold it in.... pictures below show them.
I circled in green where the pins were located.
My seat cover had to come off to get repaired... that's where I found out.

Name:  Img_2025.jpg
Views: 1366
Size:  386.5 KB

Name:  Img_2024.jpg
Views: 1405
Size:  354.8 KB

Name:  Img_2026.jpg
Views: 1413
Size:  357.7 KB
7rank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 05:09 PM   #16
iPODFAN11

Drives: 2019 Shock ZL1
Don't even have to remove the seat or the seat cover:

USE THIS WISELY AS YOU WILL COMPROMISE YOUR ACCIDENT AND PERSONAL SAFETY IF YOU CHOOSE TO REMOVE THEM FOR A MEASLY PRECIOUS OUNCE OF "COMFORT".

IF YOU CAN'T DRIVE YOUR CAR WITHOUT IT IN PLACE THEN I SUGGEST A DIFFERENT CAR OR A DIFFERENT SEATING POSITION.

Quote:
Driver or Passenger Front Seat Head Restraint Guide Bezel

Procedure
 1. Raise the headrest to gain access to the head restraint guide bezel.
 2. Twist the bezel counter clockwise and push the bezel upward on the head restraint adjuster rod.

Driver or Passenger Seat Head Restraint Clip

Procedure

Using a suitable pointed or flat bladed tool, push the metal clip rearward while pulling upward on the head restraint.
USE THIS WISELY AS YOU WILL COMPROMISE YOUR ACCIDENT AND PERSONAL SAFETY IF YOU CHOOSE TO REMOVE THEM FOR A MEASLY PRECIOUS OUNCE OF "COMFORT".

IF YOU CAN'T DRIVE YOUR CAR WITHOUT IT IN PLACE THEN I SUGGEST A DIFFERENT CAR OR A DIFFERENT SEATING POSITION.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
we're certainly looking at it -- but right now, the emphasis MUST be on getting the Camaro V6 and SS out -- and having it exceed your expectations....

Once that's done....................
iPODFAN11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 08:31 PM   #17
7rank

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '13 Sierra SLT
aah... nice, good to know...
mine had to come off regardless.
7rank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 01:18 PM   #18
Whis

Drives: 2016 2SS Hyper Blue
Someone just linked to this old thread and I had no idea you posted instructions... thanks! *necromancy&
Whis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 10:58 AM   #19
ny tdi

Drives: 2016 1LT V6 6MT Convertible
I did it! Thanks to Rank7 and IPODFAN11 for the two posts above. They were incredibly helpful in helping me get this done. Granted, the front seats lose a bit of their "cool" factor (looks wise), but soooooo much more comfortable.

Tip:
Each headrest has two retainer clips, one on each post (like the one Rank7 shows in his post above). You have to follow the directions twice, once for each clip.

Here is what worked for me:
1) Twist the plastic disc counter clockwise (labeled (1) in the diagram below.
2) Lift the round plastic disc and push down on the seat foam to reveal the lock mechanism, see pic and diagram below (lock mechanism is labeled (2) on the diagram below.
3) Find the metal retainer clip show in Rank7's post and swing it towards the back seat (I used a pen, but a small screw driver would have been better).
4) Pull or push the headrest upwards.
5) Do the same thing for the other post, and the headrest comes right out.

Diagram:
https://www.repairprocedures.com/ser...8_2560590.html

Last edited by ny tdi; 09-04-2016 at 10:26 PM.
ny tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 12:28 PM   #20
Dana3502

Drives: 2017 Camaro V6
Changed between 2016 and 2017?

I was pretty excited to find this information on how to remove the head restraint. My chiropractor wondered what my problem was after I had put only about 200 miles on my new car.

I can't seem to feel or see that silver clip that 7Rank posted a pic of after I was able to get the plastic grommet out of the way. Have these co-called safety experts tried to outsmart us by changing it again for the 2017 model?
Dana3502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 02:17 PM   #21
cmancha003

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #1097
Check out the leatherseats.com install video of the camaro interior. there is a walkthrough on how to remove the headrest. unfortunately, you would need to cut the skin off the headrest, but you can then remove the inner bar holding everything in place.
http://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=7keoR5LXt_c
cmancha003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 03:21 PM   #22
Dana3502

Drives: 2017 Camaro V6
Thanks for the input cmancha003, but that seems pretty drastic. I'd like to go the route ny tdi went. In either case, they were dealing with a 2016. I question whether there was a change for 2017.
Dana3502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 07:43 PM   #23
MR-02

Drives: 2016 2SS M6
Actually, if you have leather , lift the headrest and underneath you will find a plastic clip, un clip it, pull off the leather, then gently remove the foam. Next, you will find the plastic mechanism described in the "fireball Camaro" seat cover diy video, pry it open like they show in the video, then you can uninstall it, and put it back together so it is angled the opposite way, which would make it straight vertical instead of forcing your head down. I hate that head rest too, nothing but back problems.
MR-02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 02:24 PM   #24
Coach0313

Drives: 2016 Chevy Camaro RS
Head rest

I figured out how to take the head test off if anyone still wants to know.
Coach0313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 07:25 PM   #25
lt4camaro

Drives: 2021 LT1 10 speed auto
headrest's

I removed mine. Pull the headrest as high as it goes (use the button.)

Remove the trim pieces that go around the two posts. Push the seat material as low as can around each post 1 at a time, you will see a release about 2 inches down. Push the release and pull up the same time to get each post unhooked 1 at a time. You will need a bright LED spot light and a flat blade screwdriver to push that clip in, bitch is holding the seat material down, working the clip and the flashlight. Put the trim pieces back on when the headrest is out.

Last edited by lt4camaro; 02-03-2018 at 07:39 PM.
lt4camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 09:00 PM   #26
Coach0313

Drives: 2016 Chevy Camaro RS
You did it easier than I did. I unhooked the seat cover from the bottom, unzipped it and was able to pull it up some to get down to the pin. Still had to fight the cushion. Mine was a more rounded cotter/snapping looking thing. Had to pull it out some on each post and the head rest came right off. Flash light thing was a bitch. Next time I am just gonna take the whole seat out because it would have been much easier. I did it last night, might actually take the seat out to put the cover back on, because it’s not gonna be easy at all
Coach0313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 09:13 PM   #27
JFM-jr

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
I must say the headrest never bothers me but the fact the seat did not recline enough certainly did.
ARH 1 7/8 longtubes hi flow cats AFM deleted E85
11.0@124.9
11.65@118.8 pump gas,stock tune/exhaust
New combo: Pray Performance Heads/cam
MSD intake manifold and Circle D 3C
554/491 on E85 all work & tuning done by Pray
JFM-jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 11:37 PM   #28
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
Is it not dangerous to ride with no headrest if you got hit?

My wife complained about the headrest angle (I dont have a problem with it). I added this pad and solved the problem:

TanYoo Black Leather and Memory Foam Car Headrest Pillow Breathable Dog Bone Shape Ne... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y2J754P..._XyG1Eu8tlUzpX
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote