Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 11-09-2020, 11:42 PM   #1
OniCamaro

Drives: Camaro V6 2017
NPP Exhaust advise

I want to replace my stock NPP exhaust in my 2017 V6. Most exhaust setups I've heard and liked, people have got rid of the NPP function. Exhaust setups that I've liked so far:
1. Flow master American Thunder Axle back only
2. Secondary cat and muffler delete with magnaflow resonated xpipe
3. MBRP 3" catback with Carven TR instead of secondary cat

I like the sound of last setup most but I don't wanna get it because obviously no NPP and also it's expensive and also, I believe if my car remains mostly stock in performance, I will lose some low end torque with a 3" exhaust.

So here's my plan. I'm thinking of getting the Flowmaster American Thunder axleback with NPP for SS(they don't have one for V6), along with magnaflow resonated X-Pipe and secondary cat delete.
https://www.holley.com/products/hurs...o/parts/817746
My goals apart from NPP are:
1. Louder and deeper start up and idle
2. At higher rpms, no rasp and not too high pitched(compromise on volume is fine)
3. During cruise I want no drone. I don't know if I want any engine sound at all. I don't like the stock npp sound while cruising with valves open. But I've heard that American thunder gives a nice rumble while cruising. I wonder what that feels like in a V6.

Please advice, if you think this setup doesn't make much sense and you have a better/cheaper option.

Last edited by OniCamaro; 11-10-2020 at 12:02 AM.
OniCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 06:27 AM   #2
HCI2000SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro V6/RS
I have the Flowmaster American Thunder axle back on my 2018 V6, and am very happy with the sound. No drone, and while cruising it has a deeper sound. Wide open throttle is where it really shines though
HCI2000SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 10:40 AM   #3
OniCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCI2000SS View Post
I have the Flowmaster American Thunder axle back on my 2018 V6, and am very happy with the sound. No drone, and while cruising it has a deeper sound. Wide open throttle is where it really shines though
Yes I've seen your thread on it. I do like the sound of American Thunder for V6. But my concern is whether the American Thunder with NPP for SS will end up giving a completely different experience. I did read that for the V6 they have specially tuned resonators with no mufflers, but for SS NPP they use a combination of their outlaw and delta series mufflers..
Old 11-10-2020, 11:02 AM   #4
HCI2000SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by OniCamaro View Post
Yes I've seen your thread on it. I do like the sound of American Thunder for V6. But my concern is whether the American Thunder with NPP for SS will end up giving a completely different experience. I did read that for the V6 they have specially tuned resonators with no mufflers, but for SS NPP they use a combination of their outlaw and delta series mufflers..
For sure, and I'm willing to bet it will sound quite a bit different. Different mufflers along with different tips and bigger diameter piping will all have an effect
Old 11-10-2020, 11:16 AM   #5
OniCamaro

Quote:
For sure, and I'm willing to bet it will sound quite a bit different. Different mufflers along with different tips and bigger diameter piping will all have an effect
Right, this is making me anxious, it's a bit expensive, wonder if it'll be worth it..
Old 11-10-2020, 12:07 PM   #6
HCI2000SS

Quote:
Right, this is making me anxious, it's a bit expensive, wonder if it'll be worth it..
Gotcha. Generally speaking a larger diameter pipe will sound a tad deeper, and might lose a very tiny bit of power at low RPM. If it's just from the axle back, and only 2.5" vs 3" I'm thinking it will be extremely minimal. Hard to say for sure though
Old 11-10-2020, 12:18 PM   #7
OniCamaro

Quote:
Gotcha. Generally speaking a larger diameter pipe will sound a tad deeper, and might lose a very tiny bit of power at low RPM. If it's just from the axle back, and only 2.5" vs 3" I'm thinking it will be extremely minimal. Hard to say for sure though
Yes that's exactly what I'm thinking. But there's also the thought of whether the outlaw muffler would sound good on the V6..
Old 11-10-2020, 12:29 PM   #8
HCI2000SS

Quote:
Yes that's exactly what I'm thinking. But there's also the thought of whether the outlaw muffler would sound good on the V6..
Yep I hear ya. How will this exactly work on the V6? At heavier throttle will it bypass the super 44 muffler and just go through the outlaw muffler or what exactly?
Old 11-10-2020, 12:35 PM   #9
OniCamaro

Quote:
Yep I hear ya. How will this exactly work on the V6? At heavier throttle will it bypass the super 44 muffler and just go through the outlaw muffler or what exactly?
Yep that's exactly how the NPP exhaust works. Heavy throttle/med-high rpm uses louder muffler, Outlaw in this case and for cruising it'll use a quieter muffler, 40 delta flow series in this case.
Old 11-10-2020, 12:46 PM   #10
HCI2000SS

Quote:
Yep that's exactly how the NPP exhaust works. Heavy throttle/med-high rpm uses louder muffler, Outlaw in this case and for cruising it'll use a quieter muffler, 40 delta flow series in this case.
So maybe that outlaw muffler will sound like something in between the 40 series and a muffler delete maybe. My line of thinking says it should sound pretty good if the rest of the exhaust is stock. If not it could be quite raspy at high RPM due to the already higher pitched sound of the V6. I'll tell you this much..mine with just the Flowmaster V6 kit only (a tuned resonator) sounds great at WOT, but almost sounds like it could get raspy real quick if I changed anything else. Of course a x-pipe in place of the stock resonator would probably mellow it back out a bit as well.
Old 11-10-2020, 02:24 PM   #11
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
afe power here

had longtubes with stock exhaust first sounded awesome

had longtubes with axleback later and sounded even more awesome haha
Old 11-17-2020, 01:21 PM   #12
OniCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
afe power here

had longtubes with stock exhaust first sounded awesome

had longtubes with axleback later and sounded even more awesome haha
Looks like you're an SS so I can't assume I'll see the same results. But just to be clear initially you just did long tube and everything else was stock? What difference did it make exactly?
Old 11-17-2020, 01:22 PM   #13
OniCamaro

Quote:
So maybe that outlaw muffler will sound like something in between the 40 series and a muffler delete maybe. My line of thinking says it should sound pretty good if the rest of the exhaust is stock. If not it could be quite raspy at high RPM due to the already higher pitched sound of the V6. I'll tell you this much..mine with just the Flowmaster V6 kit only (a tuned resonator) sounds great at WOT, but almost sounds like it could get raspy real quick if I changed anything else. Of course a x-pipe in place of the stock resonator would probably mellow it back out a bit as well.
Thanks for input! I'm new to all this so I'm glad my line of thinking pretty much matches with yours. I might end up not doing any of this and just doing secondary cat delete haha. I found out it's an unbeatable value for money exhaust mod once you already have dual mode NPP..
Old 11-17-2020, 02:09 PM   #14
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
I think you're putting a lot of work in to a V6. I'd suggest keeping it simpler, Axle back but not the flowmaster, just not seeing that sound worth a damn on a 6 (sorry). I think the 2d cat delete will get you the raspy that you don't want. You kind of have a long list of wants...I'd limit it to axle back only and non-npp. No point in a 3" catback, either.

The cat delete with the resonated X a seems cost effective to me.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
american thunder, exhaust, flowmaster, magnaflow, npplow