Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-26-2024, 07:27 PM   #1
S.Macias
Monterey County Camaros

Drives: 2016 Camaro
Torque Spec

Anyone have the torque spec for the BMR rear end link part that connects to the sway bar (circled in red)? Emailed the company but curious what others may have done. Currently at 22lb/ft.
Attached Images

Old 02-27-2024, 06:50 AM   #2
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
I just tightened mine by feel, I too never saw a torque spec.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 08:33 AM   #3
S.Macias
Monterey County Camaros

But like how tight? Tight as possibly, or tight until you have to apply some force. Reason I ask is because I installed right the first time but when I took it apart the other day I'm left with a horrible squeak. Used tri-flo which helped for 30 minutes then the noise was back. Which leads me to think I now overtightened. I just can't remember what I did the first time around
Old 02-27-2024, 10:06 AM   #4
WhiteMale

I have it snug but not too hard, I didn't really crank on it at risk of stripping it.

I had a squeak with my BMR bar and it was the frame mounts, the bracket was too tight on the bushing and thus the bar and no matter the grease it was too tight. Check yours for that. I thought it was the end links but I was wrong. YOu should be able to rotate the bar in the bushings in its range of motion by little more than finger pressure. If you have to really push it up or down then it's too tight. I put a washer under the lower frame mount bolt to free it up and the squeak disappeared.

Also, the end links if you have to pull the bar down to meet the stock length that's too much. The arm should be close to parallel or level with the ground and meet the end link at about a 90 degree angle. My end links are maxed out on length.

Sorry it's a little wordy but Im been around the world and back with BMR's bar. I think it sucks.
Old 02-27-2024, 11:02 AM   #5
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
My manual says 32ft-lbs for the nut and 43ft-lbs for the bolt at the other end of the link. Seems high to me but it's a Chevy and all torques are high on this car.
Attached Images

Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 12:39 PM   #6
S.Macias
Monterey County Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteMale View Post
I have it snug but not too hard, I didn't really crank on it at risk of stripping it.

I had a squeak with my BMR bar and it was the frame mounts, the bracket was too tight on the bushing and thus the bar and no matter the grease it was too tight. Check yours for that. I thought it was the end links but I was wrong. YOu should be able to rotate the bar in the bushings in its range of motion by little more than finger pressure. If you have to really push it up or down then it's too tight. I put a washer under the lower frame mount bolt to free it up and the squeak disappeared.

Also, the end links if you have to pull the bar down to meet the stock length that's too much. The arm should be close to parallel or level with the ground and meet the end link at about a 90 degree angle. My end links are maxed out on length.

Sorry it's a little wordy but Im been around the world and back with BMR's bar. I think it sucks.

Pretty sure it's the end links. Bar is torqued to BMR specs. Not sure if my heim joints are already bad. Have about 20,000 miles on them.

See video https://www.youtube.com/shorts/AXomWDcCYkM
Old 02-27-2024, 01:40 PM   #7
WhiteMale

OK I just saw your video, which was how I was going to suggest you test those. I think you'll have to replace those, my guess with yours would be that they're worn out. Sorry I was thinking you had problems with a new install.
Old 02-27-2024, 03:01 PM   #8
S.Macias
Monterey County Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteMale View Post
OK I just saw your video, which was how I was going to suggest you test those. I think you'll have to replace those, my guess with yours would be that they're worn out. Sorry I was thinking you had problems with a new install.
I was thinking they're worn out too. Car is daily driven too much for such a stiff part. I actually ended up selling the fronts and went with the fe3 metal end links which seemed to be fine for track/autocross and daily. Might do the same with the rear. If I do, does anyone know if their is a difference from the fe2 with the fe3 or fea/fe4 rear end links?
Old 02-28-2024, 03:21 PM   #9
slick3

Drives: Garnet Red - 20 ZLE
Its a wear item, id replace the end link. The Teflon is probably smoked.

You can browse the FK catalog for what you need. Personally, Id do chromoly, its probably over kill but for a daily, better safe than sorry (extremely sorry. )
slick3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 07:33 PM   #10
S.Macias
Monterey County Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick3 View Post
Its a wear item, id replace the end link. The Teflon is probably smoked.

You can browse the FK catalog for what you need. Personally, Id do chromoly, its probably over kill but for a daily, better safe than sorry (extremely sorry. )
I figured they were shot. Last night I took one of the heim joints off, measured, and ordered chromoly replacements. While at it I ordered race boots. Waiting for everything to be delivered. New front rotors coming too but that's a different story.
Attached Images

Old 03-01-2024, 05:59 PM   #11
S.Macias
Monterey County Camaros

For future reference and information,

BMR rep recommended the bolt connecting the end link to sway bar be torqued to 60lbs/ft. However, the bolt BMR provided is 3/8". Assuming a grade 8 bolt, the max torque value is only 44, which is significantly less than the value BMR suggest.

Gunkk provided a screenshot showing a value of 32 ft/lbs. I went with that value and the car seems fine. 32 also seems pretty tight.

End link heim joints were replaced with a chromoly option which feels slightly sturdier. While they seemed to come pre-coated, I went ahead and added some tri-flow and let sit for 30 minutes. To protect from the elements I found heim joint covers and installed.
Attached Images

Old 03-02-2024, 07:23 AM   #12
WhiteMale

Nice update thanks!!