Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 03-29-2020, 08:11 AM   #1
Valkyrie14
Valkyrie14

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS
HP Tuning, SCT, Diablo, local shop, which?

Being quarantined has me making an inventory of all of the projects I want to take on. Forced induction or boring out, new heads and corresponding parts, camshaft, you get the picture. All of these will be done in stages if I ever get around to doing them in the first place.

Which brings me to my point, tuning. Each one of these requires tuning. My previous vehicle was a lightly modified Silverado. I used Diablo intune3 and ******* did my tuning. Worked great except for the wait and the feeling like it could be slightly better if...

My camaro came to me with a SCT tuner and a tune on it. No idea who did the tune, but with headers and a CAI I have been using the custom tune rather than go for one of the canned tunes. I like the SCT fine, I have mostly used it as a OBD2 sensor.

There is a guy in the Twin cities that has a dyno and does tuning through HP. He comes highly recommended. That is 3 hours away and it isn’t cheap.

I have always liked the idea of HP. I like the idea of putting on a, say new cam, and then start tuning right away. I see on their forum tins of support and people sharing parameters of tunes so you don’t blow up your engine. I also see their course to train you on tuning. All very expensive, but if I am able to tune all of the upgrades I plan myself it may be a savings in the long run. And once I learn it an enjoyable experience.

I know everyone on here is using something. I know there are tuners on here. I am hoping to have a pros and cons conversation. Hear what is loved and what was a disaster.
2014 SS LS3/LSA Supercharger, 10% Super Damper, 2.55 upper, AGP Dual Pump, ID 1050 injectors, Pegasus solid rear cradle bushings, LT Headers, Roto-Fab CAI, Elite E2 catch can, E85 corn fed, 160 Thermostat, Monster Twin Disk, MGW Short Throw shifter, Tick Clutch Master Cylinder, HP Tuners, JL Audio system.
Valkyrie14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 08:19 AM   #2
Greenhornet2

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS LS3 Whipple
I have an sct4 we're i to do it again i would do hptuners because it seems to have more support for diy. My tuner uses either and i didn't do any research because they were the same price and just randomly picked one.
Whipple 2.9 CAI ID1050x injectors ZL1 Pump JRE FPCM JMS Voltage booster JRE Rough Idle blower cam BTR .660 springs CHE trunnion kit 1 7/8 Speed Engineering Borla Atak JRE scoop 1.5" lowering springs BMR trailing arms and toe links Cradle inserts 704WHP 603WTQ 93 octane
Greenhornet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 11:39 AM   #3
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
With bolt-ons a hand held or canned tune is ok. But when you break open the engine or start adding forced induction, I would leave it to the pros. (imo)
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 03:30 PM   #4
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
I have both the SCT X4 and the new HP Tuners MPVI2. I am new to HP tuners, but going through the software it is amazing how many parameters are available. I can see it being very overwhelming, but as you said there are some great tutorials out there and paid courses you can take.

My tunes flash so much faster with HP Tuners, the difference is ridiculous. I like how easy and user friendly VCM Scanner is to use for datalogging. I am going to set up Track Addict later this week and play around with it. It has some really cool features.

Overall the HP Tuners stuff is a win in my opinion, since the tuning support is just so much greater.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 03:39 PM   #5
Valkyrie14
Valkyrie14

InFid3vil, thanks for the review. One of the things that is compelling me to HP is the ability to monitor so much of the cars performance. Please keep us posted on track addict.
2014 SS LS3/LSA Supercharger, 10% Super Damper, 2.55 upper, AGP Dual Pump, ID 1050 injectors, Pegasus solid rear cradle bushings, LT Headers, Roto-Fab CAI, Elite E2 catch can, E85 corn fed, 160 Thermostat, Monster Twin Disk, MGW Short Throw shifter, Tick Clutch Master Cylinder, HP Tuners, JL Audio system.
Old 04-06-2020, 01:59 PM   #6
Valkyrie14
Valkyrie14

How important is it to have a Air Fuel ratio gauge for tuning. The data log will tell me. Anyone who does their own tuning, is this a big deal?

One HP dealer throws a needle gauge in or for $50 I can get a digital one. I am interested in the $500 N gauge down the road.

Looking to buy an HP and want to know what else I need to get to do my own tunes.
Old 04-07-2020, 08:19 PM   #7
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyrie14 View Post
How important is it to have a Air Fuel ratio gauge for tuning. The data log will tell me. Anyone who does their own tuning, is this a big deal?

One HP dealer throws a needle gauge in or for $50 I can get a digital one. I am interested in the $500 N gauge down the road.

Looking to buy an HP and want to know what else I need to get to do my own tunes.
Much more accurate with a gauge on it and most good tuners will take the time to hook up that way.
Old 04-07-2020, 08:45 PM   #8
RobZL1
fo'shizZL1

Drives: 2017 ZL1
You can't tune it properly without a wideband sensor. Narrowband sensors don't tell you anything useful outside of stoich. They are designed to switch around a narrow band of operation, hence the name. A wide band of operation is required to see proper fueling at WOT, or "Power Enrichment" fueling. Without a wideband, you are blindly guessing at your WOT fueling. AEM makes a nice one that plugs right into the CAN-bus and easily integrates into the MPVI2 without even needing to buy the pro version of the MPVI2. About $200.

HPTuners is the way to go for the DIY enthusiast in my opinion. My car came with an SCT, and I looked into the Advantage III software, but the SCT license scheme (and I use that word with double meaning) was not my cup of tea. Plus the support for HPT is significantly better for a DIY person. EFI Live is an option, but more expensive and less community in my opinion.

If you want to learn it yourself, I'd first honestly ask yourself two questions:
1) How committed are you to learning this and are you good at research?
2) How good are you at computers in general, and do you have any sort of technical background (e.g., engineering, software, hardware, etc.)?

If the answer is positive to both questions, you'll pick this up quickly if you put in the time.

If the answer is positive to the first question and negative to the second, you stand a decent chance, but the road will be tougher.

If the answer is negative to both questions, tuning is probably not for you.

Maybe someone else who has also been down this road can agree or disagree, but those are my thoughts. Hope it's somewhat helpful!

Past Rides-
2014 ZL1 M6 Red Hot | Tons of mods
2004 CTS-V M6 Silver | Many mods
1995 Corvette M6 Torch Red | A few more mods
1992 Camaro M5 White | A few mods
RobZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 10:49 PM   #9
Valkyrie14
Valkyrie14

Is the NGauge a wide and sensor. I’m an attorney, so research is part of my life. Also as an attorney technology is a form of sorcery. However, I am stubborn and will stay at anything until I am at least basically proficient.
Old 04-11-2020, 11:29 AM   #10
blake-b

Drives: 2009 ZR1
The Ngauge is not a wideband sensor. It is a gauge that reads OBD II parameters. You can also data log and tune with it using HP Tuners. It comes with a Micro SD Card you log to or upload tunes from. I do not it has the full functionality of HP Tuners on a lap top when it comes to logging. I.E. you cannot see the data in real time like if you were logging on a laptop.

You can also wire in analog signals to the NGauge. I have a wideband (NGK) and nitrous bottle pressure wired to display on mine.
blake-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 06:44 PM   #11
Valkyrie14
Valkyrie14

So if I buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake-b View Post
The Ngauge is not a wideband sensor. It is a gauge that reads OBD II parameters. You can also data log and tune with it using HP Tuners. It comes with a Micro SD Card you log to or upload tunes from. I do not it has the full functionality of HP Tuners on a lap top when it comes to logging. I.E. you cannot see the data in real time like if you were logging on a laptop.

You can also wire in analog signals to the NGauge. I have a wideband (NGK) and nitrous bottle pressure wired to display on mine.
So I could get a wide and sensor and plug it in to the NGauge? Thinking getting the HP MPV first makes sense and just logging.
Old 04-12-2020, 06:59 AM   #12
blake-b

Drives: 2009 ZR1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyrie14 View Post
So I could get a wide and sensor and plug it in to the NGauge? Thinking getting the HP MPV first makes sense and just logging.
Yes, you can connect a wideband via the analog inputs. You have to go into the Ngauge settings and input parameters for the wideband. It isn't as difficult as it sounds. Download the Ngauge instructions and you'll see what I mean. Their instructions show how to to set up a Zeitronix wideband but any wideband can be set up by inputting the necessary information.
blake-b is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dyno, hp tuners, sct tuner, tuning