Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-13-2024, 03:09 PM   #1
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
Driveshaft and Axle Strength

Ok now I would like to know who out there is making roughly 500 whp and still have the stock driveshaft and axles on their automatic? What I really would like to know is if you guys think I will break one of the two with sticky drag radials? I do have stock gears with a 3600 stall converter. Thanks.
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 03:33 PM   #2
CamaroCracka

Drives: 2010 Turbo LS3
Driveshaft will be fine. Can't say for the axles as I've never run stock axles with sticky tires.

I run roughly 800whp with slicks and a manual with a factory drive shaft.

2011 Vert - 416/w 230/236 .612/.602 115lsa, 1LE suspension w/32mm rear bar. Z28 diff. ZL1 brakes.
CamaroCracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 03:54 PM   #3
morepowerjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroCracka View Post
Driveshaft will be fine. Can't say for the axles as I've never run stock axles with sticky tires.

I run roughly 800whp with slicks and a manual with a factory drive shaft.
Thanks a lot for the info on the driveshaft, that puts my mind at ease. Well at least I bought an extra pair of oem ac delco axles last year before that were all gone. Lol
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Old 03-13-2024, 03:55 PM   #4
acutron42

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS AGM
From what I have read here & also discussed with Andrew Cammer, deflection in the cradle will be your biggest enemy. Hard to say how long parts will live depending on how hard you are on them. I am upgrading to Hendrix solid bushings, DSS driveshaft & G-Force Renegade axles along with a Truetrac. It might be overkill but I plan on running the 1/8 quite a bit this summer on drag radials.
2013 2SS GPI built & tuned 415, spec'd by Andrew Cammer. GPI ported intake/tb/heads, Tooley springs, CHE trunnions, Callies rotating assembly, Diamond pistons, GPI SS3 VVT, ATI 10% ud damper, Circle D 3800, Kooks ceramic coated lt's with green cats, Mishimoto rad & oil cooler, Derale trans cooler, Holley efi rails.
acutron42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 04:08 PM   #5
morepowerjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by acutron42 View Post
From what I have read here & also discussed with Andrew Cammer, deflection in the cradle will be your biggest enemy. Hard to say how long parts will live depending on how hard you are on them. I am upgrading to Hendrix solid bushings, DSS driveshaft & G-Force Renegade axles along with a Truetrac. It might be overkill but I plan on running the 1/8 quite a bit this summer on drag radials.
Yeah I have bmr poly subframe bushings, trailing arms, and toe rods. I also have new Ac Delco axles. But I just don't know.

Old 03-13-2024, 04:53 PM   #6
acutron42

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS AGM
I hear you there Joe. I thought long & hard if I wanted to spend another 3k+. It was a very hard decision.
2013 2SS GPI built & tuned 415, spec'd by Andrew Cammer. GPI ported intake/tb/heads, Tooley springs, CHE trunnions, Callies rotating assembly, Diamond pistons, GPI SS3 VVT, ATI 10% ud damper, Circle D 3800, Kooks ceramic coated lt's with green cats, Mishimoto rad & oil cooler, Derale trans cooler, Holley efi rails.
acutron42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 09:23 PM   #7
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
This pains me because for 49 years I've been in - and now retired, from the driveshaft business. For decades we used u-joint series to spec HP, torque, angle, etc. (1310, 1350,1410, etc.) And tube dia. & length. But don't recall ever seeing a flex disk ('guibo') like our Camaros have being equated to a particular u-joint series. And they've been around a long time. Mercedes was using them in the 80's. But generally speaking, they're tough SOB's. Until they're not.

I'd have to believe a fudge factor was built into the stock shaft. But Cracka's must be getting out toward the limits. Roughly double the HP of the OE. Good to know they can handle it.
Old 03-13-2024, 11:02 PM   #8
morepowerjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo View Post
This pains me because for 49 years I've been in - and now retired, from the driveshaft business. For decades we used u-joint series to spec HP, torque, angle, etc. (1310, 1350,1410, etc.) And tube dia. & length. But don't recall ever seeing a flex disk ('guibo') like our Camaros have being equated to a particular u-joint series. And they've been around a long time. Mercedes was using them in the 80's. But generally speaking, they're tough SOB's. Until they're not.

I'd have to believe a fudge factor was built into the stock shaft. But Cracka's must be getting out toward the limits. Roughly double the HP of the OE. Good to know they can handle it.
Thank you sir for your thoughts.

Old 03-14-2024, 08:13 AM   #9
CamaroCracka

Drives: 2010 Turbo LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo View Post
don't recall ever seeing a flex disk ('guibo') like our Camaros have being equated to a particular u-joint series. And they've been around a long time. Mercedes was using them in the 80's. But generally speaking, they're tough SOB's. Until they're not.
And then they are hard to find replacements for.

On the axles, many have said being lowered puts a lot more stress on the CV. I'm only lowered half an inch in the rear, and when I broke a ZL1 axle, the CV itself was fine. I twisted off the splined end that goes into the hub. Maybe I should not have reused the axle nut.

2011 Vert - 416/w 230/236 .612/.602 115lsa, 1LE suspension w/32mm rear bar. Z28 diff. ZL1 brakes.
CamaroCracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 09:15 AM   #10
Moto-Mojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroCracka View Post
And then they are hard to find replacements for.

On the axles, many have said being lowered puts a lot more stress on the CV. I'm only lowered half an inch in the rear, and when I broke a ZL1 axle, the CV itself was fine. I twisted off the splined end that goes into the hub. Maybe I should not have reused the axle nut.
There may have been - and even intended to be, a stress riser at the spline end. For decades we told customers that the driveshaft was the "fuse" in the drivetrain. Tubing was spec'd and actually intended to twist and or break before trans and diffs were destroyed. It didn't always work out that way though!
Old 03-14-2024, 02:43 PM   #11
trashbasket

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Tires are the fuse in the drive-train. At least that's what I've found to be true. You hook, you break : (

Stock SS Axle or CV joint exploded on 1-2 Shift with mere street tires. This was at 650whp on the street. I think you are safer because of automagic. Once I got the renegade axles I learned the diff doesn't hold up too well and was just trading one weak point for another. So depends on how much further you want to go. Also the axles can be hard to get and can wait 7-8 weeks for so take that into account if decide to keep rolling the dice.

Old 03-14-2024, 03:43 PM   #12
morepowerjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashbasket View Post
Tires are the fuse in the drive-train. At least that's what I've found to be true. You hook, you break : (

Stock SS Axle or CV joint exploded on 1-2 Shift with mere street tires. This was at 650whp on the street. I think you are safer because of automagic. Once I got the renegade axles I learned the diff doesn't hold up too well and was just trading one weak point for another. So depends on how much further you want to go. Also the axles can be hard to get and can wait 7-8 weeks for so take that into account if decide to keep rolling the dice.

I've heard that auto's are easier on the drive train but don't know really how true that is. I actually have a second set of new Ac Delco axles just sitting in the garage.

Old 03-14-2024, 03:56 PM   #13
trashbasket

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by morepowerjoe View Post
I've heard that auto's are easier on the drive train but don't know really how true that is.

yea, thats my understanding as well.*If you have spares, then rock n roll. As others said, driveshaft would be fine.

Could always do the diff bushings to help. I think they even make offsets for lowered cars. Then your diff will sing its song throughout the whole car on the highway. Its not annoying at all.

*racecar noises*

Last edited by trashbasket; 03-14-2024 at 04:11 PM.
trashbasket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 05:05 PM   #14
Moto-Mojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashbasket View Post

You broke your tires? Send pics!