Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

AWE Tuning

Old 08-12-2023, 10:35 AM   #1
Corrupt

Drives: 2023 Camaro 2 S.S
A leak by the drain plug

They cant seem to find the leak. Took it in a couple of times to the dealer and said it was the plug but after a oil change and it still is there

³
"Update"
they said oil pan is porous and leaking so they are going to order another pan. So i need to keep checking my oil level till they get all the parts to fix it again
Attached Images

Last edited by Corrupt; 09-18-2023 at 03:20 PM.
Corrupt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2023, 12:57 PM   #2
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
I'd say it is coming from the oil pan where it meets the engine. There have been people who have found their oil pan bolts loose, I would check all those...

I don't think it is your drain plug as there is oil much higher up... I think it is dripping from there due to the shape of the pan...
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2023, 06:15 PM   #3
Corrupt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt View Post
I'd say it is coming from the oil pan where it meets the engine. There have been people who have found their oil pan bolts loose, I would check all those...

I don't think it is your drain plug as there is oil much higher up... I think it is dripping from there due to the shape of the pan...

Yes i agree but the tech Swear it the plug. They put dye into the oil and said it was the plug. So they gave me a oil change and new plug and off i went. Couple of days later and drips came back
Old 08-12-2023, 06:24 PM   #4
Corrupt

Here a photo of the first leak. So i been to the dealer three different times. So far i got three oil changes and i have only 3000 miles.lol.
Attached Images

Old 08-12-2023, 06:34 PM   #5
2004YZFR1

Drives: 2020 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe 2SS 1LE
Well that sucks especially on a brand new car. Can you lift the car and check it your self? The oil drain plug is supposed to be 18 ft lbs.
2004YZFR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2023, 09:37 PM   #6
Corrupt

I took it back to the dealer. They gave me a loaner car. I won't know till monday i see what they find this time. I have a feeling that it a hair line crack somewhere near the drain plug. The second time they look at it there was dye in the oil and it was all over by the plug.
Old 08-12-2023, 10:43 PM   #7
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Drips typically do not move upwards...
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 06:47 AM   #8
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrupt View Post
Yes i agree but the tech Swear it the plug. They put dye into the oil and said it was the plug. So they gave me a oil change and new plug and off i went. Couple of days later and drips came back
How does the dye identify where the leak is coming from in this case? If it's coming from the rim of the pan which is just slightly higher up than the plug, it isn't going to be a different color because of that...

It's a common-enough issue that many folks on here have reported that they found at least some of the bolts in the pan not torqued to spec. Might be worth calling in to the dealership and asking "for a favor" - ask if they tech could double-check that the oil pan bolts are torqued to spec while he has it in the air.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 07:44 AM   #9
Dynamical

Drives: 2022 Camaro LT1 A10
They know 100% positively the leak is a damn drain plug but they don't know how to fix it and hand it back to you with the same leak, I love it!

My thoughts...

#1 That drain bolt could be STRIPPED out or cross threaded which will leak. Or the mating surface between the plug/pan could have some kind of debris in there not allowing a good seal.

#2 The front flange of the oil pan is leaking down.

#3 Leaks at BOTH locations - most likely not.

My problem here is the feedback ends from your personal knowledge because you did not do the work yourself. So in other words you don't know exactly what they did.

I would be observing that drain plug and oil pan bolts.

Hope you get this taken care of because this is BS. Let us know

2022 Camaro LT1 A10 - Drag Pack/AxleBack -11.849@118.67MPH/1.798 60'
2001 Camaro SS A4 - HCI/Stall/Bolt-on/Gear/Tune/DR/Diet - 429HP/392TQ - 10.99@123.58MPH/1.584 60'
1998 Camaro Z28 A4 - Bolt-on
1999 Camaro Z28 A4 - Stock

FJB
Dynamical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 03:07 PM   #10
Corrupt

I notice something on the plug on the first oil change. If you look close to the plug there look like a hair like crack but you guys can be right with the bolts not being fully torque. I'll know more on monday. Keep everybody posted. I good thing about this is they gave me a nice loaner. Still would like my car better
Attached Images

Old 08-14-2023, 10:04 AM   #11
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Hairline crack is possible, and I can even convince myself from your picture. I think you need to drain the oil and see the mating surface for the plug. If it is cracked, you will see the full thickness crack on edge. You also need to feel how that plug moves in the threads, as someone may have cross-threaded the plug and now you will never get proper torque.
Since new plug didn't help, it's either a crack or a mating problem.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2023, 01:40 PM   #12
Corrupt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post
Hairline crack is possible, and I can even convince myself from your picture. I think you need to drain the oil and see the mating surface for the plug. If it is cracked, you will see the full thickness crack on edge. You also need to feel how that plug moves in the threads, as someone may have cross-threaded the plug and now you will never get proper torque.
Since new plug didn't help, it's either a crack or a mating problem.
Will let you guys know what the dealer finds
Old 08-14-2023, 03:26 PM   #13
CalgaryZL1

Drives: 2020 Chevy Camaro ZL1
My bet is the drain plug hole was machine and tapped off axis to the drain plug face and the O-ring around the drain plug does not make enough seal, if you look at the picture you have a gap (shadow) at the bottom but it’s tight at the top when the plug is installed and all your pictures are upside down so oil does not run uphill if people are commenting on that
Attached Images

Last edited by CalgaryZL1; 08-14-2023 at 03:39 PM.
CalgaryZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2023, 08:26 PM   #14
Corrupt

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryZL1 View Post
My bet is the drain plug hole was machine and tapped off axis to the drain plug face and the O-ring around the drain plug does not make enough seal, if you look at the picture you have a gap (shadow) at the bottom but it’s tight at the top when the plug is installed and all your pictures are upside down so oil does not run uphill if people are commenting on that
It does look like there is a gap. So maybe putting a bigger plug head with washer would seal better or am i going to need a new oil pan witch is back order till who know when. They said if it is bad that it would take 13 hours to fix plus time what ever it take to order new one which are back order