Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 09-12-2018, 10:57 PM   #1
flaudia402

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Buying new 1LE - have a 400 mile drive home. Advice?

So finally found a 1LE that I liked from a dealer I felt comfortable with, however unfortunately they are about 400 miles from my home. Will be driving up shortly to go pick it up. Had some questions for those of you who may have had similar instances - traveling some distance to pick up your vehicle.

1) The car has <10 miles on it. I know break in will involve varying the RPM's. Speed limit will likely be 60-70 on the way home. I've read to avoid setting cruise control in the break in period. Should I just be shifting constantly between 3rd-6th gears varying the RPMS?

2) My biggest concern is rock chips. My first mod was going to be purchasing rock guards. I'm pretty ambivalent to have the dealership install these - I know it's a simple thing, but I don't trust having dealerships do aftermarket mods (even something as easy as rock guards), simply because I've had really poor experiences in the past with this. I either do things like this myself, or I take it to a trusted mechanic.

3) With the above said, would you recommend painters tape along the front bumper and rockers behind the fenders? My plan once I got it home was to do a full new car paint correction, ceramic coating, and then hand it over to have the front bumper protected in Xpel or Suntek.

4) Any other words of advice for those of you who have done long drives like this in your 1LE?
flaudia402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 11:08 PM   #2
Calcanuck

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaudia402 View Post
So finally found a 1LE that I liked from a dealer I felt comfortable with, however unfortunately they are about 400 miles from my home. Will be driving up shortly to go pick it up. Had some questions for those of you who may have had similar instances - traveling some distance to pick up your vehicle.

1) The car has <10 miles on it. I know break in will involve varying the RPM's. Speed limit will likely be 60-70 on the way home. I've read to avoid setting cruise control in the break in period. Should I just be shifting constantly between 3rd-6th gears varying the RPMS?

I would keep RPM below 3500, change gears once and a while but not constantly. You can do a lot just by speeding up and slowing down once and a while.

2) My biggest concern is rock chips. My first mod was going to be purchasing rock guards. I'm pretty ambivalent to have the dealership install these - I know it's a simple thing, but I don't trust having dealerships do aftermarket mods (even something as easy as rock guards), simply because I've had really poor experiences in the past with this. I either do things like this myself, or I take it to a trusted mechanic.

Get one of these https://www.novistretch.com/collections/camaro

3) With the above said, would you recommend painters tape along the front bumper and rockers behind the fenders? My plan once I got it home was to do a full new car paint correction, ceramic coating, and then hand it over to have the front bumper protected in Xpel or Suntek.

4) Any other words of advice for those of you who have done long drives like this in your 1LE?
Put the suspension in Tour mode

Last edited by Calcanuck; 09-12-2018 at 11:18 PM.
Calcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 12:07 AM   #3
avalonandl

Drives: 2019 ZL-1
Varying cruising speed and rpms is good. 4th-5th-6th on highway. Do some engine braking too.

2012 Yukon XL Denali w/ 6.2 AWD
avalonandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 12:29 AM   #4
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
I’ve done it. Change gears periodically and take exits and then get right back on making shifts at 4,000 rpm.

I rolled the dice on stone chips both time and then had Xpel installed when I got home. There is protective film in front of the rear tires so mud guards isn’t the biggest threat. Chips on the front fascia are.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 12:44 AM   #5
nicktechla

Drives: 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S
Until you can get PPF installed, https://www.novistretch.com/ would probably be good to keep it safe on your drive home
-- Past --
2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe - Red Hot - A10, PDR - HRE P101
2015 Mustang GT PP - Whipple Supercharger
nicktechla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 06:20 AM   #6
CH.CRAFT

Drives: 2018 HOT WHEELS SS 6 SPEED COUPE
ALL ABOVE IS GOOD ADVICE. MY PERSONAL FEELING IS THAT I WOULD HAVE TO FIND A WAY TO TRAILER THE CAR HOME, IF THAT IS NOT AN OPTION I WOULD CHANGE OIL AND FILTER WHEN I GOT IT HOME. I DO NOT BELIEVE IN BABYING A MOTOR TO BREAK IT IN, I TAKE IT SOMEWHAT EASY FOR THE FIRST HUNDRED MILES, VARING THE SPEED AND THROTTLE TO SEAT THE RINGS. AFTER THE FIRST HUNDRED I DRIVE IT HARD LIKE I WANT TO DRIVE A PERFORMANCE CAR. THIS HAS WORKED FOR ME AND IS ONLY MY OPINION, TAKE THINGS WITH A GRAIN OF SALT AND DO WHAT MAKES YOU HAPPY.
A.C.A.T.T.
CH.CRAFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 06:30 AM   #7
JT58

Drives: Former 2016 Camaro 1LT
Just drive and enjoy it. As already stated vary the speed and RPM's, down and up shift a lot, that's all. Avoid driving at a steady speed and RPM.
Old 09-13-2018, 06:38 AM   #8
mariojmoe
Account Suspended

Drives: C7 Z06 manual, 18 Zl1 manual, etc
Look at my signature op. Like the person above me stated, the 1st 100 miles drive it easy around 60 mph ish with light shifts etc after that bro HAVE AT IT! I personally would do a few 3rd gear hard pulls to 120 +/- depending on weather, traffic, common sense etc. As for rock chips man idk? It's a car and I don't cherish material stuff that much to the point where I'm scared to drive and enjoy it. It's a car and unfortunately shit is gunna happen sooner or later. I do my best to avoid making stuff happen sooner but have the mentality that there is always the possibility for a chipped windshield to occur, a rock chip on bumper etc. Do I care abt my cars? Absolutely but don't wanna have an aneurysm in the event "life happens " Pick her up, drive her home and get the xpel once you are back home and relax bud. Life is too short to worry abt the unknown and small things. Btw everything I've owned seen triple digits under 200 miles of ownership and only 1 issue ever (not associated with improper break in).
mariojmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 06:53 AM   #9
JK001

Drives: ZHP, Alfa 4C, RAM, X5, 17SS1LE-sold
It's not a Bugatti, just drive and enjoy it
JK001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 07:28 AM   #10
VinnAY
Account Suspended

Drives: 18 1SS/1LE
Break-in a basically garbage myth. As long as you don't bang it to redline and get abusive with it there's really no reason to baby it in varying gears and RPM ranges such as was suggested here. I drive them off the lot like I'll be driving them, for the most part.
VinnAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 07:43 AM   #11
Ebbsnflows

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1-1LE
I bought mine from a dealer that was 200 miles away. I chose to take the "backroads" back home vs. the interstate. It increased my drive time by about 30 mins, but it allowed me to:
- become familiar with the car
- hit a few twisty roads
- avoid the monotony of steady 75mph

If that's an option for you, I'd recommend it. Even if you exit the interstate for just 100 miles or so, then get back on later down the road. It'll make the drive far more enjoyable.
Old 09-13-2018, 07:45 AM   #12
Bad Anvil Garage

Drives: 2000 GMPPSV SS & 2017 ILE SS
Watch for speed traps.
Bad Anvil Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 07:52 AM   #13
nelsont

Drives: 2018 2SS Hot Wheels Convertible
follow the break in procedure in the owners manual.
Take back roads for first couple hundred miles or the whole trip. This will help varying rpm's ect. Donr lug the motor.

The Novistretch mask would be a good investment for the drive, and no it wont scratch the paint!

And most of all enjoy your new ride!

Tim
nelsont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 07:54 AM   #14
brap999

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
When I buy a car and drive it home the only thing I do is take masking tape and tape up the front bumper area to protect it from rocks getting kicked up into it.

other than that just enjoy the drive home
1998 Dodge Viper GTS
1972 Pontiac GTO
1963 Chevy C10 short bed, T5, 350, lowered
brap999 is offline   Reply With Quote