Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-31-2016, 03:53 PM   #1
GroundhogSS

Drives: '17 2SS convertible'20 Yukon Denali
Confusion about catch can

I was watching a recording of "Detroit Muscle" from a few weeks ago where the people are building up a twin turbo hemi to put in a challenger. The said they were going to put on a catch can to keep oil out of the intake, a Moroso, I think. Okay so far. When they installed it, they ran a line from the PCV valve to the intake on the catch can. Then they plugged the outlet with a cap and also capped off the input to the intake manifold. How is this going to do anything, other than build up pressure in the crankcase? Am I missing something here? Those guys must be actors and not real mechanics.

Delivered: 08/15/2016

#TeamBeckyD

GroundhogSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 04:14 PM   #2
Ian SS

Drives: 2016 1SS, 2017 JKU Wrangler
Some catch can setups are just vented, where they run a line from the PCV to the Catch Can and the can itself vents to atmosphere. This doesn't really work as effectively as a can that routes back to the intake to pull pressure out of the crank case, but it does work. If they just capped off the catch can and it's not venting then that is pretty stupid lol.

2018 Ram Rebel 4x4 5.7
Ian SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 04:47 PM   #3
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
They plug the inlet to the intake manifold because it will be pressurized when the turbo's provide boost, but I agree they need to provide a vacuum source to the can.

Most systems run a line from the air intake prior to the pressurized turbo output. If the engine is running, on boost or not, there is vacuum there. That line would be the catch can output (pulling from) line.
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote