Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-05-2016, 12:12 AM   #1
GroundhogSS

Drives: '17 2SS convertible'20 Yukon Denali
Security concern

I'm a little concerned about theft and break ins on these cars. I read the thread last year about one member getting his new Camaro getting stolen out of a Target or Wal-Mart parking lot. And the security camera videos of people walking down the street with some kind of box in their hand and opening cars. One of the local stations had a story last week about people using some kind of receiver to pick up the signal from your remote, even from inside your house, and re-sending it to your car. They recommended putting the remote in a metal can when you're in the house.

So what I've been thinking about is getting one of the remote controlled devices that people use to turn off their NPP, such as Forza Exhaust Bypass Valve Controller Kit, and putting it on the fuse for the remote lock/unlock module. Has anyone tried something like this? Think it would work? It would be an extra step whenever you lock or unlock but maybe it would give you a better chance of the car being there.

Delivered: 08/15/2016

#TeamBeckyD

GroundhogSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 12:26 AM   #2
BAMF

Drives: The Tumbler
...damn...that's actually a really good idea! I would never have thought of something like that. The most I came up with was getting a LoJack decal from EBay or something and slapping that on the driver window in the corner.
BAMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 12:29 AM   #3
BAMF

Drives: The Tumbler
Please forgive the double post.

I think your best bet would be talking to that company the makes the remote system, and seeing what they think.

Please keep me updated on what you learn. I would absolutely get something like that if it was doable.
BAMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 08:49 AM   #4
LesBaer
FMPG

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundhogSS View Post
I'm a little concerned about theft and break ins on these cars. I read the thread last year about one member getting his new Camaro getting stolen out of a Target or Wal-Mart parking lot. And the security camera videos of people walking down the street with some kind of box in their hand and opening cars. One of the local stations had a story last week about people using some kind of receiver to pick up the signal from your remote, even from inside your house, and re-sending it to your car. They recommended putting the remote in a metal can when you're in the house.

So what I've been thinking about is getting one of the remote controlled devices that people use to turn off their NPP, such as Forza Exhaust Bypass Valve Controller Kit, and putting it on the fuse for the remote lock/unlock module. Has anyone tried something like this? Think it would work? It would be an extra step whenever you lock or unlock but maybe it would give you a better chance of the car being there.
I've got one but it's being installed this Saturday along with them hard wiring the radar detector. I'll ask about it. I'm going to a really good place to have this done, but they haven't installed a Forza controller before. He said it looked straightforward. I did get an installation update email from Forza after I bought it. I haven't gone through these new instructions in detail, but I'll post them if it helps answer your question.
ARH 1 7/8" ceramic coated full sys w/NPP; Maggie 9.2psi (85mm); Jannetty rough idle cam(TSP), tune and LT4 fuel system; Forgeline VX1 Black PVD (20x10,11); R88R 315's; ALPriority; BMR rear arms, bushings, DS loop; RF intake (red); nGauge

93 octane: 712rwhp, 654rwtq / E85 (E66 mix): 734rwhp, 674rwtq (SuperFlow Dyno)
LesBaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 09:13 AM   #5
LesBaer
FMPG

I found this in his follow-up email to me...if I'm reading this correctly, I think it may work:

"....Also, the instructions suggested installing the yellow fuse tap in fuse location F30 … the one used for the windshield wipers. This location seemed to be a logical spot as it was thought it would be switched to the ignition. Like this …

As it turns out, fuse location F30 is not switched to the ignition … it is hot all the time. This will result in a small, but continuous, current drain. Not a problem for a daily driver car. But, should you leave the car without starting it for a period of 3 to 4 weeks, it could drain down your battery to the point where the car may not start. You can turn off the power to the controller using the push button switch or you could install the yellow fuse tap in a fuse location that is switched to the ignition. One such fuse position is Fuse #43. Like this.

ARH 1 7/8" ceramic coated full sys w/NPP; Maggie 9.2psi (85mm); Jannetty rough idle cam(TSP), tune and LT4 fuel system; Forgeline VX1 Black PVD (20x10,11); R88R 315's; ALPriority; BMR rear arms, bushings, DS loop; RF intake (red); nGauge

Old 07-05-2016, 11:14 AM   #6
GroundhogSS

Thanks guys. I hope I'm not overthinking this. I don't know which fuse it would be or what else that may control. I sent a PM to Steve at Forza last night so I'll see if he has any ideas.

#TeamBeckyD

Old 07-05-2016, 11:23 AM   #7
forzasteve

Drives: Love any sports cars
Here is my opinion on using the Model C1 as an enhancement to the security ...

Yes, I think it could be done. The Model C1 controller can act like an on/off switch for any fuse on the car. So, you could use the controller to control the fuse F56 in the trunk .. "Theft/Universal remote system" Once you press the remote on the Model C1, it would cut power to the Theft/Universal system.

Another potential fuse to cut power to would be the Engine Control Module Ignition fuse ... F57 or the Fuse system control module ignition ... Fuse F50. Both of these are located in the engine compartment fuse block.

The controller is not necessarily just for a fuse. It can act like a on/off switch for any circuit you should want to control. So, it could easily be adapted to control say a circuit that manages the remote entry system.

Now, having said that ... I cannot say with certainty that the results will be exactly what you are looking for.

I have some concern that all you are doing is interrupting the circuit on those fuses. If you were to merely pull the power (disconnect the battery), the model C1 controller would reset to default and the normal operation of those fuses would be restored ... hence, the action of disabling those circuits would cease and those circuits would be enabled again.

In my opinion, a very inexpensive and 100% effective method of preventing someone from driving off in your car is to remove relay K10 from the engine compartment fuse block. This relay controls the starter. Without the relay, there would be no way to start the car. Once removed, you could take the relay with you or place it in an out-of-way location that would not be obvious. You could even store it under the hood somewhere.

Another relay that should also disable the car is relay K7 which controls the Engine Control Module.

The Removal and insertion of the relay should only take a minute or two and is only moderately inconvenient. And, the likelihood that a potential car thief can diagnose why the car may not start ... or happens to have that exact relay handy is very remote.

Regards,

Steve
Attached Images

forzasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 11:28 AM   #8
LesBaer
FMPG

Our responses crossed paths so I'm deleting mine. Steve's is better

Old 07-05-2016, 01:08 PM   #9
greg72982

Drives: Black 2017 2SS
Just swap out your automatic transmission for a manual. Problem solved.
Old 07-05-2016, 01:49 PM   #10
Allez

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Why not just keep your remote in a metal box? These devices theoretically work by amplifying the signal between your remote and the car. From what I understand you need a 'Faraday cage' for your remote.
Allez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 02:20 PM   #11
tbis

Drives: 2016 1SS Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg72982 View Post
Camaro5 had issues in the oakland area with manual v8 5th gens getting jacked easily.

[SIZE="100"]
tbis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 02:23 PM   #12
Lafourche1

Drives: 2019 CLA 450 Mercedes
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg72982 View Post

Yep! It is a funny thing, but mine will not start without the clutch depressed. IF and is sure is a big IF they could get it started, I am guessing they might not be able to drive it off.
Lafourche1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 02:28 PM   #13
GroundhogSS

I like the idea of pulling a relay for when the car is parked for an amount of time, such as when at a resort or in an airport parking lot. Similar to pulling the wire from the coil to the distributor. But I think just disabling the remote locks would work just fine for daily use. The only time it should loose power, other than me pulling a battery cable, is if the battery discharged somehow, and then nothing would work. I think I might give it a try. Now if they would just run my car through the plant and send it to me.

#TeamBeckyD

Old 07-05-2016, 08:31 PM   #14
bbrown450

Drives: 2016 Mosaic Black 2SS
I use a thing called a garage and a system that allows LEO's to not only know where the car is but kill the engine (Onstar)..beyond that if they want to bad enough..they will find a way wether it is to put it on a truck or tow it...neat ideas though..
bbrown450 is offline   Reply With Quote