Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-21-2016, 09:42 PM   #1
shawn18
OWTATIME

Drives: 1969 CaRaMo
Has anyone traded a ZL1 for a 6 gen SS?

I have done a search and can't find anything on this. I am wondering if anyone traded their 5th gen ZL1 on a new 6th gen SS? If you have what are your opinions. Any regrets or comments either way on the decision to trade?
Old 05-21-2016, 11:01 PM   #2
AbsolutHank

Drives: 2016 Corvette Z06 M6
I *almost* did, but had a car in between.

I had my ZL1 modded to 610rwhp. If you don't or its close to stock, trade in tomorrow, assuming you don't want to pay for a new ZL1?

The new car feels so much smaller, lighter and agile...couple that the new interior and tech, and it feels like a no brainer. Plus, the exclusive parts of a ZL1 are all now available on the Camaro6...MRC, NPP etc. All but the SC..
2013 Dodge Viper #44/150 Launch Edition IG:@absoluthank
20/21 BC Forged Wheels : BC Coilovers: TA Aero
AbsolutHank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 11:29 PM   #3
shawn18
OWTATIME

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsolutHank View Post
I *almost* did, but had a car in between.

I had my ZL1 modded to 610rwhp. If you don't or its close to stock, trade in tomorrow, assuming you don't want to pay for a new ZL1?

The new car feels so much smaller, lighter and agile...couple that the new interior and tech, and it feels like a no brainer. Plus, the exclusive parts of a ZL1 are all now available on the Camaro6...MRC, NPP etc. All but the SC..
Thanks for the feedback. My car is stock except a cold air intake. Ive driven 2 2016 SS cars. One a 1SS and a 2SS. I really like both but the 2SS is just amazing I think. I have a deal on the table to trade with a local dealer for a 2SS with NPP A8 & Nav. I haven't decided yet to pull the trigger or not but I am leaning more towards trading than not at this point.
Old 05-22-2016, 08:10 AM   #4
1295/SS

Drives: 87 GNX 87 Turbo T '13 CTS-V
I was debating on which to buy and read as much as I could. We had a NGM delivered to our dealer to look at and when we arrived, another customer showed up to trade his ashen gray ZL1 on a Z06. He parked right next to the '16. It was a no brainer for us. We took the SS home.
1295/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 10:24 AM   #5
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
I traded a 13 ZL1 M6 that was stock other than SC cooling upgrades. I felt a new 2SS with MRC and NPP had everything I loved about the ZL1 but in a smaller, lighter package with much better interior and tech.

I prefer to use modern cars as daily drivers but I just couldn't bring myself to do that to the ZL1. When the SS started hitting the street with performance numbers so close to the ZL1 about the time I put it into storage last fall, I strongly felt the pull. By mid December I was talking to dealers.

The ZL1 is a better toy with shit loads of potential if you plan to mod. A 2SS is a better all around car, on a great chassis that you can leave stock to use as a stinking fast driver. I've had the SS only 2-1/2 weeks and love the chiseled look, smaller feel and luxury.
Attached Images

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -

Last edited by hotlap; 05-22-2016 at 10:35 AM.
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 10:33 AM   #6
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
Thumbs up

I also was undecided. The 6th gen SS was improved in all aspects: lighter, better handling, same Stingray engine and A8 transmission.
What help me decide was that the 5th. Gen has a usable rear seat (no adult or big kid could fit on the new one) and the 5th. Gen ZL1 has a more muscle car type look, a stronger 580 hp engine, mine came with stock Recaros and its drivetrain is bullet proof. I did not trust the new A8 transmission after reading the bad experiences on the Stingray and GM pick ups, mine was a '14 with very low mile just 1100 at a very atractive price.
You will not go wrong on any choice that you take 5th. Gen ZL1 or 6th. Gen SS both are great cars.
'14 Camaro ZL1 w/. Recaro seats
'11 Mustang GT 5.0 w. track package
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera
'05 Infiniti G35 coupe sport
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 10:42 AM   #7
shawn18
OWTATIME

Thanks for the feedback guys. I love my ZL1 , which is what makes the decision so difficult. It is just a toy and only has 4900 miles on it. I really am afraid I would regret trading it instead of just finish paying it off and then add a 6 gen. Man I'm torn on what to do. I really like the new SS. I think patience is my best option right now. BTW Hotlap..Your car is gorgeous.

Last edited by shawn18; 05-22-2016 at 11:07 AM.
shawn18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 11:35 AM   #8
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn18 View Post
Thanks for the feedback guys. I love my ZL1 , which is what makes the decision so difficult. It is just a toy and only has 4900 miles on it. I really am afraid I would regret trading it instead of just finish paying it off and then add a 6 gen. Man I'm torn on what to do. I really like the new SS. I think patience is my best option right now. BTW Hotlap..Your car is gorgeous.
Thanks Shawn. It's even better in person.

If I could have afforded to keep both and send the ZL1 to Lingenfelter, I would have. That was my original plan but unexpected (massive) family expenses overrode. I think the ZL1 is the better weekend warrior. Great times we live in.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 02:12 PM   #9
shawn18
OWTATIME

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
Thanks Shawn. It's even better in person.

If I could have afforded to keep both and send the ZL1 to Lingenfelter, I would have. That was my original plan but unexpected (massive) family expenses overrode. I think the ZL1 is the better weekend warrior. Great times we live in.
Yes sir it is! We're fortunate to be able to choose between these two awesome machines!
Old 05-22-2016, 02:48 PM   #10
72MachOne99GT
Anthrax Popcorn User

Drives: 2013 GT500
I'd keep the ZL1 based simply on the fact that it's a "cooler" and more "exclusive" car.

It doesn't lack power, has your MRC, and it ought to maintain better resale if you decide to sell it agter you've paid it off.
Quote:
...if you want to compare performance numbers, well, the GT500 retains it's title of the highest hp, worst performing car in the world.
72MachOne99GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 06:05 PM   #11
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
I like my '16 SS. It is just about as fast and a great driving car. But I do miss my 2015 ZL1. I switched but not by choice. If you can't get what you think your Zl1 is worth I would keep it. The new SS is a great car no doubt, but the ZL1 is something special. Although I do not miss the ZL1 Recaros, thumbs down on them.
Old 05-22-2016, 06:17 PM   #12
shawn18
OWTATIME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
I like my '16 SS. It is just about as fast and a great driving car. But I do miss my 2015 ZL1. I switched but not by choice. If you can't get what you think your Zl1 is worth I would keep it. The new SS is a great car no doubt, but the ZL1 is something special. Although I do not miss the ZL1 Recaros, thumbs down on them.
Thanks. I don't have the Recaros in mine. I am not a big fan of the seats I have but they are ok. I feel the ZL1 is a special car myself and thats one of the reasons why I have had a hard time pulling the trigger. I am gonna hang on to my car for now but I appreciate all of the opinions from everyone on here.
Old 05-22-2016, 11:06 PM   #13
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
I think performance wise the ZL1 will give you that intoxicating supercharger whine and gobs of torque off idle. The new SS will have similar performance but get you there by weighing 500 lbs less and feels a lot more tossable. The new Camaro to me really feels like a corvette with a with a useless back seat and is little easier to get in and out of.

The interior upgrade is a major improvement and I am really enjoying the improvement from my 1LE.
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 09:51 AM   #14
cal45

Drives: 2015 Blue Velvet Metallic ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn18 View Post
For me, I would never consider it especially after my mods and how it performs.
I am interested in seeing what the final numbers (performance specs & price) will be when the '17 ZL1 actually lands at the dealers show rooms....but unless I stumble across a sack of cash - I'm good with my '15 ZL1.

cal45 is offline   Reply With Quote