Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-18-2016, 10:31 AM   #29
drivingagain

Drives: 2015 Tiger XCX,2016 Camaro 1SS,LBZ!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobshannon22 View Post
How often should we drain the can?
This is still being determined by driving habits and mileage. Sledgehammer 70 checked his at 1k miles and it was still good. I have about 400 miles and I will check and post mine for a 2k mile drain.
drivingagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 12:47 PM   #30
HomeBrewer

Drives: 2017 2SS
I got mine today.

Still waiting for the car though...
HomeBrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 02:29 PM   #31
leadfoot93
Camaro Fan

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS Garnet Red
I drained mine after 2000 miles and it was half full. So I plan on doing mine every 2000 miles
3800 Status: 10/13/15 VIN #116519
4200 Status: 12/19/15
Delivered : 12/28/15
leadfoot93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 04:37 PM   #32
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivingagain View Post
I think I would add one for resale value later on at the least. Yes if you sell it to the dealer then it will not matter. I sell my cars to private buyers. I can easily show maintenance records and the fact my car vs. another car in the market is a better value. We are talking about $300 max on a 40k automobile. I will have that in oil changes by the time I hit 40k miles. Although I would hope that a New Camaro owner would check this forum first. Then they would see number one thing to check on a 40k mile car is that a catch can was added early in its life. Just my thoughts.
I would say most camaro and most corvette owners with the LT1 engine or V6 engine dont know about this issue though.

So i cant see it hurting resale value, plus if the valves get dirty enough that i notice, its not the end of the world to have a shop clean them.

I am more worried about noticeable power loss during my ownership.
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 10:14 AM   #33
Mishimoto
Account Suspended

Drives: Mostly Stock
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobshannon22 View Post
How often should we drain the can?
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivingagain View Post
This is still being determined by driving habits and mileage. Sledgehammer 70 checked his at 1k miles and it was still good. I have about 400 miles and I will check and post mine for a 2k mile drain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot93 View Post
I drained mine after 2000 miles and it was half full. So I plan on doing mine every 2000 miles
The fill rate will vary on the vehicle, environment, and driving conditions. We recommend checking fluid level the first 1k and 2k miles to get a baseline. With our shop vehicle, estimated time-frame for emptying the contents was around 3,500 miles. Every vehicle will differ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeBrewer View Post
I got mine today.

Still waiting for the car though...
Thanks for the order HomeBrewer! Hope the car arrives soon.

-John
Mishimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 12:07 PM   #34
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post
I would say most camaro and most corvette owners with the LT1 engine or V6 engine dont know about this issue though.

So i cant see it hurting resale value, plus if the valves get dirty enough that i notice, its not the end of the world to have a shop clean them.

I am more worried about noticeable power loss during my ownership.

While there are pictures of the V8 and evidence by catch cans actually having oil in them, there has been nothing proven on the V6 front. Intake manifolds look dry from all the pictures taken thus far. Just have to wait and see if Mishimoto confirms when they get their test car.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 01:29 PM   #35
mikeSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
While there are pictures of the V8 and evidence by catch cans actually having oil in them, there has been nothing proven on the V6 front. Intake manifolds look dry from all the pictures taken thus far. Just have to wait and see if Mishimoto confirms when they get their test car.
I see oil in catch cans, but then i see cars running to 100k miles no problems. I see people making comments that this is a major problem, then see people saying its a higher mileage problem. Then i read from the corvette chief engineer Tadge juechter that they put 200k or 300k (cant remember) miles on a LT1 engine with normal wear and tear. If this problem was so bad, by 200k miles the car shouldn't be starting up. nor should GM warranty the engine.

with regards to the V8 pictures, I have been on the corvette forums since 2012. There really isnt many pictures out there with NEW GM v8 engines. Think i have seen like 3 pictures of a corvette engine with like 5k miles. Like that has any meaning what so ever.

I would say catch cans do more good than bad, and everyone should add one. But i cant back that up with proof or documentation as to what degree these engines need them. Ya i could show someone a picture of a 2007 BMW engine that has bad carbon build up, but that was back in 2007. You would have to hope that changes were made after that.

thats what bothers me.
Old 03-21-2016, 01:56 PM   #36
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
changes were made. the LGX is a completely different beast from the lfx. I wouldn't base anything off data from anything but lgx's.

However despite improvements, the LT1 got a new pcv system that is supposed to separate oil from air 3x better than last gen V8, yet catch cans still collect oil.

It's probably to the point where it's within design spec so this oil blow by wont necessarily hurt anything and you may not even notice it's effect other than making things a bit dirty. If you can further reduce it though, it's a positive with the only negative being that it's not free.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 04:07 PM   #37
mikeSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
changes were made. the LGX is a completely different beast from the lfx. I wouldn't base anything off data from anything but lgx's.

However despite improvements, the LT1 got a new pcv system that is supposed to separate oil from air 3x better than last gen V8, yet catch cans still collect oil.

It's probably to the point where it's within design spec so this oil blow by wont necessarily hurt anything and you may not even notice it's effect other than making things a bit dirty. If you can further reduce it though, it's a positive with the only negative being that it's not free.
ya that seems about right.
Old 03-21-2016, 09:15 PM   #38
Stex

Drives: 67 goat, 69 goat ram air III
If a CC is collecting oil, that is oil that would be ingested by the engine. Once rings are oil clogged the oil burn starts. Not to mention valve build up on DI engines. A CC is just another step to stop oil ingestion even when GM says no problem, we got this.
Stex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 10:00 PM   #39
samsumon

Drives: 4 wheels
Are these available on Amazon? where can i order them?
samsumon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 10:30 PM   #40
andrec10

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS 6SP/Suby Legacy 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsumon View Post
Are these available on Amazon? where can i order them?
Mishimoto or Phasetek...

Its Here! Finally came home on 3-31-16! Red Hot 2SS,6 Speed, NPP, MRC, Adrenaline Red interior, Silver Rally Stripes, NAV, Sunroof, 56W Split Spoke Wheels, Body color Hood vents, Body color Splash Guards and winter protection package.

Ordered 1-28-16: 1100
2-11-2016 :2000
2-15-2016: 3000 TPW of 3/7...That went quick!
2-26-2016: 3400 Status TPW 3/7
3-5-2016 : 3800
3-8-2016 : 4300
3-11-2016 : 4B00
3-15-2016 : 4200
3-22-2016 : 4800
3-29-2016 : 6000!
andrec10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 10:55 PM   #41
mikeSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stex View Post
If a CC is collecting oil, that is oil that would be ingested by the engine. Once rings are oil clogged the oil burn starts. Not to mention valve build up on DI engines. A CC is just another step to stop oil ingestion even when GM says no problem, we got this.
again, why are engines running so many miles with no problems?

I see these cans catching a lot of oil at such low miles. A engine at 100k miles that had that much oil being ingested SHOULD run like crap.

my dad has a 2015 GMC work truck that has over 50k miles on it right now. Beats on the truck, and sees a lot of city miles. Yet it starts up, gets same MPG, and has the pick up needed. My dad never thought the truck ran any differently from when he got it.

I think i am going to run my LT1 engine without one, and document it with pictures. I will probably sell the car in a few years anyway.

Last edited by mikeSS; 03-21-2016 at 11:52 PM.
Old 03-22-2016, 09:56 AM   #42
drivingagain

Drives: 2015 Tiger XCX,2016 Camaro 1SS,LBZ!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post
again, why are engines running so many miles with no problems?

I see these cans catching a lot of oil at such low miles. A engine at 100k miles that had that much oil being ingested SHOULD run like crap.

my dad has a 2015 GMC work truck that has over 50k miles on it right now. Beats on the truck, and sees a lot of city miles. Yet it starts up, gets same MPG, and has the pick up needed. My dad never thought the truck ran any differently from when he got it.

I think i am going to run my LT1 engine without one, and document it with pictures. I will probably sell the car in a few years anyway.

Over time your dad will not notice the power loss. Now when he gets 150-200k miles and then goes and drives a new truck would notice the difference. Also to point out no one has really noticed the oil that we are catching in the catch cans missing from the oil level. Do you have to have a catch can? NO. Does it ease your mind you are keeping your engine as healthy as you can? Yes.
drivingagain is offline   Reply With Quote