Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-05-2016, 12:44 PM   #1
Omar1

Drives: 2016 2SS Red Hot
First oil change?

I've been reading around about changing your oil at 500 miles and then again at 1500. Is this what's recommended by GM? Do all of you do it? First time buying a [new]car and have no clue. Was going to go by the owners manual when I get it.
Old 02-05-2016, 12:47 PM   #2
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2016 Camaro SS
I always do my first oil change at 500 miles but I don't think it's crucial. I just like to get the shavings and and other assembly lube and sealants out of there early on. Then I'll go 5k between changes on this car.
Eric SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 12:48 PM   #3
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar1 View Post
I've been reading around about changing your oil at 500 miles and then again at 1500. Is this what's recommended by GM? Do all of you do it? First time buying a [new]car and have no clue. Was going to go by the owners manual when I get it.
a lot of people change to get the manufacturing debris and the seating in of the parts at 500 to 1000. Is is purely their choice. Go by the owners manual and you cant go wrong. Remember every dealer gives you 2 free oil changes in the first 2 years.

a person who changes at 500 and 1500 is a pure enthusiast and doing it as this is his/her hobby.

Personally I change my own oil at 750-1000, and then every 5000 or every 9 months. I use mobil1 Extended performance 5w-30 and the GM PF63 filter.

Last edited by Glen e; 02-05-2016 at 02:35 PM.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 02:31 PM   #4
FlightSoftware

Drives: '95 Corvette, '06 Mustang, 2LT RS
I'm going to drive it exactly once, and then change the oil.

(It's almost 700 miles from Becky's to my house. )
Old 02-05-2016, 06:37 PM   #5
ScratchAce

Drives: 2SS - Hyper Blue/Ceramic White
I'll be doing mine at 500. Dealer threw in an extra oil change, so I'm taking advantage of that.

ScratchAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 06:48 PM   #6
keon718nyc

Drives: Challenger SP Shaker/Arcadia Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
Remember every dealer gives you 2 free oil changes in the first 2 years.

Personally I change my own oil at 750-1000, and then every 5000 or every 9 months. I use mobil1 Extended performance 5w-30 and the GM PF63 filter.

Just wondering if this is something i missed out to be on paper because the dealer never told me anything about 2 free oil changes...

And is the mobile1 Extended performance 5w-30 good for both the V6 and V8? Thanks for the info!!!
keon718nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 07:01 PM   #7
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Every new Camaro gets two free changes within the first two years. It's on your sticker. Some dealers will put in the dexos spec blended oil, some will give mobile 1. That's a whole Nother kettle of fish as to who gives what, suffice to say you can find dealers that will give you mobile1 free. I have one here in Fort Lauderdale. But you get 2 oil changes free anytime you want.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 07:18 PM   #8
keon718nyc

Drives: Challenger SP Shaker/Arcadia Denali
Thank you for that info Glen!
keon718nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 07:42 PM   #9
Marine Corps

Drives: 2016 2SS Garnet Red Camaro
Wow! I totally disagree with 500 mile or 1000 mile oil changes. If GM and Chevrolet felt that changing oil that soon due to possible metal shaving from the factory during the build I would think we would have been notified. Or perhaps Consumer Reports, or the media in general would have aired stories about metal in the oil of brand new cars. How often an owner changes their oil is their personal choice. Since I understand there is no break-in oil in our new Camaros my first oil change will be at 5,000 miles using Mobil 1. As a side note, there are 10 quarts of oil that will need to be replaced each time.
Added Procharger supercharger.
Marine Corps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 08:12 PM   #10
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine Corps View Post
Wow! I totally disagree with 500 mile or 1000 mile oil changes. If GM and Chevrolet felt that changing oil that soon due to possible metal shaving from the factory during the build I would think we would have been notified. Or perhaps Consumer Reports, or the media in general would have aired stories about metal in the oil of brand new cars. How often an owner changes their oil is their personal choice. Since I understand there is no break-in oil in our new Camaros my first oil change will be at 5,000 miles using Mobil 1. As a side note, there are 10 quarts of oil that will need to be replaced each time.
It's not needed, but does no harm to change it. Slightly elevated metal and silicon content:
http://www.hellcat.org/threads/oil-a...0-miles.10781/

It's nothing that will harm anything but I'd like to get it out of the car.
Eric SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 06:40 AM   #11
LovePhenom
I am a UAW/GM employee.

Drives: 2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2LT RS V6
Quote:
*This* Also I don't want to waste perfectly good oil.
Summit White 2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2LT RS V6 Auto w/ Adrenaline Red Interior, Red Hash Marks, 20" Machined Face Aluminum Wheels, Convenience & Lighting Package, Performance Exhaust , 8" MyLink w/ Navigation, Sunroof, RS Wheel Caps, GlowTie, Splash Guards, Red LGX Engine Cover, All Weather Premium Floor Mats, Cargo Mat, Red Knee Bolsters, Black Front Fascia Extension, RS Floor Console Lid, Red MGP Caliper Covers, ZL1 AddOns Tow Hook, 2017 ZL1 Spoiler.

Coming
Soon:

LovePhenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 06:59 AM   #12
daytonagary

Drives: 1932 Ford 3 Window Coupe
Quote:
a real car guy knows better. I have been building street and race car engines for 50 years and if you had ever seen the powdered metal that is in suspension in the oil at 500 miles you would change your tune. I put a magnetic drain plug and a magnetic stuck to side of oil filter in new engines I build and they have a large amount of metal on it after a 500 mile break in period. With my new C7 I did the 500 mile oil change then put a magnetic drain plug in it. Changed again at 1300 miles and it still had lots of new powdered metal stuck to the drain plug on that oil change so wished I had drained the oil and put magnetic drain plug in as soon as I got home. It is not shavings left in engine that is the problem as engines are assembled in a clean room and parts inspected enough that shavings are a rare occurrence. It is the wear of metal against metal until parts get "seated" with each other while the engine is running , especially rings against the cylinder walls, that creates lots of fine powdered metal in the oil system. If you don't care about this metal acting like sandpaper when it gets between two pieces of metal in your engine then let it go 5000 miles. I have more respect for this fine piece of machinery than that.
daytonagary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 07:29 AM   #13
VQ35DE

Drives: 2013 / 2SS / RS / L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by daytonagary View Post
a real car guy knows better. I have been building street and race car engines for 50 years and if you had ever seen the powdered metal that is in suspension in the oil at 500 miles you would change your tune. I put a magnetic drain plug and a magnetic stuck to side of oil filter in new engines I build and they have a large amount of metal on it after a 500 mile break in period. With my new C7 I did the 500 mile oil change then put a magnetic drain plug in it. Changed again at 1300 miles and it still had lots of new powdered metal stuck to the drain plug on that oil change so wished I had drained the oil and put magnetic drain plug in as soon as I got home. It is not shavings left in engine that is the problem as engines are assembled in a clean room and parts inspected enough that shavings are a rare occurrence. It is the wear of metal against metal until parts get "seated" with each other while the engine is running , especially rings against the cylinder walls, that creates lots of fine powdered metal in the oil system. If you don't care about this metal acting like sandpaper when it gets between two pieces of metal in your engine then let it go 5000 miles. I have more respect for this fine piece of machinery than that.

I agree 100% !
VQ35DE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 08:14 AM   #14
Drags1998

Drives: 15 SilveradoLTZ,162SSVert BlazerRS
And ON and ON it GOES!!!!!!!!!! 500 miles, 1500miles, 5000 miles Why NOT go by what GM says. THEY built it!!!! I know what "old school"Guys are talking about. (I am ONE} EVERYTHING has changed since the 70's Oil from the 70's would be MUD at 5000 miles at 200 degrees. Today its only 2/3 worn out. This has been a topic that has been pounded to DEATH!!!!! I say do what you have always done and everything will be FINE!!!!!!
Drags1998 is offline   Reply With Quote