Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Phastek Performance

Old 08-02-2019, 10:08 AM   #43
VinnAY
Account Suspended

Drives: 18 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScatPack View Post
My brand new 1LE didnt even make the 5 mile drive home without picking up two rock chips (to the bare metal), on the rear lower quarter panel on the drivers side.

The first thing any new owner of 1LE should do before they move an inch off the dealer's lot is have them swap out those tires for some normal all seasons. I remember going down my street at about 20mph and hearing all the little rocks and stones hammering the wheel wells as I went. What a horrible sound to hear with your new car. After about 200 miles on the car from just casual playing around, I had 10 or so rock chips around the car all centered on the rear lower quarter panels. If I were to do it again, I would have clear film placed on the entire rear quarters from top to bottom.

If you're going to run home and through an A/S on the car, which hardly negates the debris coming down the side of the car, you made a horrible choice on the 1LE package to begin with if you're going to insist on an A/S and let that be the very weak part of the car. Makes no sense at all to drop 7K on all that when you slap an A/S on it as your primary tire.
VinnAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 10:20 AM   #44
ScatPack
Banned

Drives: None at the moment
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnAY View Post
If you're going to run home and through an A/S on the car, which hardly negates the debris coming down the side of the car, you made a horrible choice on the 1LE package to begin with if you're going to insist on an A/S and let that be the very weak part of the car. Makes no sense at all to drop 7K on all that when you slap an A/S on it as your primary tire.
Wrong. Most guys are daily driving these on the street, and not hitting the track every weekend. It would be in your benefit to swap out to A/S tires for daily duty, until you need the sticky tires for the track.
ScatPack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 03:30 PM   #45
R3ctivision
1LE Convert

Drives: 2018 ZLE
Don't look too closely :P (I do have rock guards but I'm not convinced that are that effective.)

Previous cars:
- 2018 Miata RF GT (Machine Gray/Auburn)
- 2017 Camaro 1SS 1LE (Summit White)
- 2008 BMW 135i (Montego Blue)
- 1996 BMW 328i (Arctic Silver)
R3ctivision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 10:56 PM   #46
Hops

Drives: 2019 1ss 1le, blue wrap
This is just a thinking out loud post, but could these magnetic vent covers be used as temporary track day rock guard solution? I've made autoX numbers out of these covers in the past, and they flew off at the track, but i'm wondering if they could be tucked somehow into the door. Another problem is they don't work on the lower non-magnetic part of the panel.
Attached Images

Last edited by Hops; 08-12-2019 at 10:07 PM.
Hops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 08:45 AM   #47
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
lol
They flew off traveling parallel to the wind.
Mounting them perpendicular to the wind almost guarantees they will fly off in spectacular fashion.

Do it!

Old 08-05-2019, 09:21 AM   #48
Hops

Drives: 2019 1ss 1le, blue wrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost Creep View Post
lol
They flew off traveling parallel to the wind.
Mounting them perpendicular to the wind almost guarantees they will fly off in spectacular fashion.

Do it!

My autoX number flew off at the first straight because there were so many places for the wind to grab, but i do cut the vent covers to size for stickers like the SCCA one (1x7in), and these stay on the car at track speeds. I think if the covers fit to tuck into the doors might work... need to experiment.
Hops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 11:03 AM   #49
wjones14

Drives: 2021 BMW M2 Competition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hops View Post
This is just a thinking out loud post, but could these magnetic vent covers be used as temporary track day rock guard solution? I've made autoX numbers out of these covers in the past, and they flew off at the track, but i'm wondering if they could be tucked somehow into the door. Another problem is they don't work on the lower non-magnetic part of the panel.
I think you're better off using the temporary track film made for this purpose. Amazon has different brands. Looks like Track Armour is rated the highest. Some folks have also used painters tape.
Previous: 2018 Summit White 2SS 1LE; 2015 MINI Cooper F56 6MT; 2015 BMW M235i 6MT; 2003 MINI 5MT; 2005 Mustang GT 5MT
wjones14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 11:40 AM   #50
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjones14 View Post
I think you're better off using the temporary track film made for this purpose. Amazon has different brands. Looks like Track Armour is rated the highest. Some folks have also used painters tape.
This is probably your best bet.
Maybe double up on the painters tape, or even do a top layer of Gorilla tape over the painters tape layers.

Don't know how hard that will be to remove, painters tape is one thing but the Gorilla tape may turn into one big sheet and give you some problems.
Old 08-05-2019, 02:16 PM   #51
Jimbeau11

Drives: '18 Black SS 1LE; '01 Corvette Z06
IMHO the rock guards look worse than chipped paint and I'm going to do way worse things to it on the track anyway......
Jimbeau11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 02:25 PM   #52
NeverDie
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
These rock guards like RPI that don't cover the full width of the rear tire look absolutely hilarious. It's total fat guy in a little coat!

I had a set of the ZL1Addons for my Mustang and not only did the crap double-sided tape fail and cause them to come off at highway speeds they also decided to do nothing about this so that won't be an option.
NeverDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 06:38 PM   #53
Whitespeed

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE & 1973 Datsun 240Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverDie View Post
I had a set of the ZL1Addons for my Mustang and not only did the crap double-sided tape fail and cause them to come off at highway speeds they also decided to do nothing about this so that won't be an option.

10,000+ miles on my ZL1 Addons rock guards at speeds up to 140 MPH just this past weekend and they're still on. How long were they last on your car?

Nigel
Whitespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 09:58 PM   #54
MAGAUSA

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue 1LE
I bought rock guards from a common vendor here and after about a month they fell off the car, only detached at the bottom. Double sided 3M tape. I think the joke was on me for thinking that was a good idea. Never recouped from that shit show. I do have paint damage in front of the rear wheels. I don't think guards are needed (for my environment) on the rears. My bigger issue is rocks from the idiots tearing up the roads here and leaving rocks over miles of streets for prolonged periods. My windshield has a second long crack in three months.
MAGAUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 09:35 AM   #55
NeverDie
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitespeed View Post
10,000+ miles on my ZL1 Addons rock guards at speeds up to 140 MPH just this past weekend and they're still on. How long were they last on your car?

Nigel
They were on the car for approx 4 weeks before failure, which is completely unacceptable.

My situation is also not at all unique, many others have had the same issue. Plus they're ugly as shit plastic and you can see the tape edge on the side but whatever they still shouldn't fail.
NeverDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 09:55 AM   #56
19SW1LE

Drives: 2018 LT 1LE
WOW!
19SW1LE is offline   Reply With Quote